Designing first layout, lots of questions!

Hey guys, I have been slowly purchasing HO stuff over the past year and I am glad to say im finally getting my own apartment, which comes with bedroom that I wont be using....so it looks like I finally have a place for a layout!

I was going to start looking into designing a layout and playing around a little bit with some track software.

Do you guys have any sugestions on what software is the best?

Also, if any of you are bored and want to design something for me that would be great!

The room is 13x10
I would like to have a continous mainline as I really like to watch the trains go by, but I also want some spurs and yards to play around in. I will be running modern engines so the radius needs to be 22 at a minimum (right?)
Inclines and declines are excepted, but this is my first layout so im not looking to get too far in depth with mountains and hills and bridges etc.

Thanks alot guys!
P.S Feel free to give tips or constructive criticism!

Hey guys, I have been slowly purchasing HO stuff over the past year and I am glad to say im finally getting my own apartment, which comes with bedroom that I wont be using....so it looks like I finally have a place for a layout!

I was going to start looking into designing a layout and playing around a little bit with some track software.

Do you guys have any sugestions on what software is the best?

Also, if any of you are bored and want to design something for me that would be great!

The room is 13x10
I would like to have a continous mainline as I really like to watch the trains go by, but I also want some spurs and yards to play around in. I will be running modern engines so the radius needs to be 22 at a minimum (right?)
Inclines and declines are excepted, but this is my first layout so im not looking to get too far in depth with mountains and hills and bridges etc.

Thanks alot guys!
P.S Feel free to give tips or constructive criticism!

I've been using AnyRail and really like it. Very easy to use and has a great feature set. The free version has a limit on how much track you can "lay down", but gives you a good idea of what the program can do. I liked it so much that I bought it. There are also several free programs out there as well, but none that I liked as much as AnyRail.

I've been using AnyRail and really like it. Very easy to use and has a great feature set. The free version has a limit on how much track you can "lay down", but gives you a good idea of what the program can do. I liked it so much that I bought it. There are also several free programs out there as well, but none that I liked as much as AnyRail.
Appreciate the suggestion! I've downloaded any rail and I'm going to see how I like it, thanks alot!

I prefer Xtrkcad. Its a free download, and is very sophisticated. It does have a learning curve, but if you follow the demos and on line tutorials, you can get the hang of it quickly.

It can be obtained here. http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/

It has extensive libraries of track, structures, etc.
I highly recommend it!

One thing I would do first, is get the "Bible" for trackplanning, John Armstrong's "Track Planning for Realistic Operation".

It available from Kalmbach Publishers, the friendly Model Railroader people, Amazon, etc. To not use this to aid in planning a layout, is to approach the project with one arm tied behind your back.

Last edited by a moderator:
13x10, good size, I tried building a layout in that size a room.

Don't get too Ambitious. buy Iain Rice's 'Small Smart and Practical Track Plans' and 'Shelf Layouts For Model Railroads'. They will give you a good idea of how to use the space you have best. In Small Smart and Practical he has a plan that is just a freight yard that could be expanded nicely into your space (8x12 into 10x13)

I use 3D Railroad Concept And Design, formerly made by Abracadata. It isn't as powerful as some of the newer software, but had/has a good number of 'blocks'(an AutoCAD term-meaning pre-drawn and rendered building/track/etc items you can insert into a plan without having to draw them yourself). It used to cost about $80. I've used it for over 10 years. It does have a learning curve, but not as steep as other more powerful software(such as 3dPlanit, etc).

Do you have any CAD or technical drawing background? The're not required, but will go a long ways towards decreasing the length and slope of your learning curve, no matter which software you choose.

I'd also 'invest' some money in any number of 'trackplanning books,' and/or John Armstrong's book on model railroad design. Trackplanning books will give you an idea about 'how much track can I fit in a given space,' for any number of different types of layouts. You can also google 'model railroad trackplans,' and get a list of sites that can provide the same. Sometimes the question is 'why re-invent the wheel,' when someone else has all ready done if for you, 'as long as the shoe fits.'

Paper, ruler, and compass, can still go a long ways in terms of trackplanning.

One thing to keep in mind is the old saying, "less is more". Just because you have the space, doesn't mean it has to be filled with track. All too often, first layouts are designed with enough track to cover a small state and end up looking like a bowl of spaghetti. Unless you are modeling a heavy industrial area, your trains will be passing through rural areas and that will provide a chance for some very scenic views and photo opportunities.

I'd suggest you Google the HOG (Heart of Georgia) layout. It's an around-the-walls (or donut) design that uses a 4X8 sheet of plywood (or foam) for subroadbed. It's easily adaptable to other rectangular spaces, can be built in sections, etc.

If nothing else, it will give you some ideas. I'd also have a look at some of Lance Mindheim's shelf layouts. Several of those can also be adapted to continuous runs.

Take your time in planning. The urge can be strong to glue down tracks and start running but that often ends with people pulling all that lovely new track up and starting over.

Yeah I am constantly second guessing myself, I think I may just settle with the old 4x8 and do something small. I really like continous trains but in order for me to do that without the 4x8 its going to take alot of lumber and will not be easily moved (I am in a apartment, of course!) Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will look into the HOG and other layouts to get ideas. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

I'm of the mindset of "less is more".

Here is my last layout of 11 X 13. My next will be with less track.

A shelf layout can be very interesting and fun to run with minimal sidings and destinations.

Have you considered modelling a branch line?

I'd go for more than a radius of 22; you have the room for it and could get away with 32 inch radius and trains look nice on a radius like that.

You do not need a lot of lumber to make a shelf layout. You can put a 12 inch shelf on very strong brackets and it won't be intrusive on the room especially if you have it at chin height. This way you can still use the room as a guest room or office. Check out the pics of my past layout.

Here are links to my old narrow shelf layout to give you an idea what can be put into a shelf as narrow as 9 to 12 inches:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16941&highlight=scenes+narrow

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...ighlight=scenes+narrow+shelf+layout+continued

You might check into various plans that involve cutting a 4x8 sheet of plywood in different ways with curves/diagonals, and rejoining the sections so you can get more than 22" radius curves on them. If you're going to use sectional track, and modern equipment, I'd give serious consideration to using 24" radius curves.

Bowls of spaghetti are good to eat, but can cause headaches as model railroads.

Thanks guys,
That shelf layout looks very cool, but I would have to build legs for the shelf because I do not want to be screwing into the walls and messing them up. I also have been thinking and I wanna try and keep this layout some-what mobile because I doubt I will be here very long.

Thanks guys,
That shelf layout looks very cool, but I would have to build legs for the shelf because I do not want to be screwing into the walls and messing them up. I also have been thinking and I wanna try and keep this layout some-what mobile because I doubt I will be here very long.

Well, you'd only be drilling a couple holes per each shelf bracket. Some spckle and a little touch up paint after everything is taken down and all is well. Iain Rice's book on shelf layouts also details how he engineers everything to be portable and break-up into sections for such circumstances as you are in.

I would second using the heart of georgia! You can find the plan and exactly how to build this layout on google.com or any other search engine.http://hogrr.blogspot.com/

I built a freestanding layout because i didnt want to fasten to my wall either. I just basically built my sections 2x whatever length you can squeeze. All i did was i butted it up against the wall. I have built a 5x10 peninsula along with my 2x18 sections.

I would honestly look into the (hog) layout. I used the same principle for my benches as they used in the (hog) layout.

Haha, thats a funny picture. I am probably going to make some type of layout based on the HOG, but I may try to get 2 main lines.

I'm really drawn between modifying the HOG to have 2 main lines so I can run 2 trains at the same time. What do you guys think?

Remember this is your layout not ours, do what you think will interest you more. There is nothing wrong with having 2 mainlines. I think the (hog) is a great starting point, it can easily be altered to your likings.

Keep us updated with your progress please :)

Back