Designing first layout, lots of questions!

Additionally, the sorting yard (or Hump yard) for your layout is where all the cars go. referring to the previous example, two of the cars are on track one, one is on another. There's eight other cars all jammed in. Think like this.

"Sorting yard" and "hump yard" are not synonyms. Hump yards are huge automated installations with a hump over which cars are pushed to be automatically sorted by rolling down over the other side into a set of yard tracks. Not practical on a model railroad without a huge space and a lot of engineering. There have probably been fewer than a half-dozen reliable operating hump yards built in the hobby -- ever.

"Sorting yard" is not really nomenclature that the real railroad or most hobbyists would use, I think. They are more often referred to as "classification yards".

When helping newcomers, it's a good idea to keep the terminology straight, I would suggest, so as to not confuse them further.

A lot of well-intentioned advice given, but could be taking our newcomer Original Poster off in directions that may not make sense for him.

A step back to take some time to read and study would be the most helpful thing for him right now, in my humble opinion, but I know it's hard when the train bug bites.

A donut-style layout may be best for him at this point, but how that donut is laid out makes the difference in having something that's fun to work on and run for the medium and long-term and something that grows boring quickly.

Where a dount-style layout can be against one or more walls (as appears to be the case here), there are three opportunities: the inside, the outside, and the "backside". The HOG doesn't really exploit all of these -- its sort of a 4X8 layout that's just expanded with a hole in the middle. Still a better approach than the monolithic 4X8, but not really optimizing the footprint.

The "backside" is the area against the walls. Secluded behind a low backdrop, this area can hold staging tracks. Staging tracks are (usually) unseen in regular operation and they represent "everywhere else" that's not part of our visible modeled layout. It's a place for trains to be stored, true -- but it's also a way to add operating interest over time as trains arrive and depart from imagined "off-stage" locations.

This very quick and crude sketch of a donut-style layout shows the "backside" against two walls with staging, a branch line on the "inside" and the main line on the "outside. Once the branchline engineer "ducks under", he can stay there to do his work. Meanwhile, the "outside engineer" can work with a variety of trains coming from and going to staging.

Better_donut_layout.gif

Note how the backdrops visually isolate inside from outside to make things appear more spacious. The backdrop in front of staging is low so that one could stand on a step stool to reach over to handle any unfortunate calamities in staging.

Of course, this main line could cross up and over itself to occupy both "outside" and "inside", but then you might want to plan more carefully to arrange the work so that one didn't have to negotiate the duckunder too often.

Even if he doesn't choose to make "inside" and "outside" separate locations, the Original Poster might find that using the "backside" against the walls for staging might offer benefits in his design.

Note also that one section of benchwork here is much narrower to make for an easier duckunder. Building the layout high overall helps, too. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread focused on donut-style designs early on, which is fine, but other arrangements will fit in the room as well, now that we see it all. These could include the classic HO Waterwings track plan.

HO_8X10_Track_Plan.gif

A track plan in this style would allow easy walk-in with no duck under, except perhaps for occasional maintenance in the turnback loops and even those could be eliminated with a narrow access aisle around the ends (for which there seems to be room)

The posted plan is in a much smaller space and does not include staging. In the larger space available to the Original Poster, staging would be easy to add.

This thread focused on donut-style designs early on, which is fine, but other arrangements will fit in the room as well, now that we see it all. These could include the classic HO Waterwings track plan.

HO_8X10_Track_Plan.gif

A track plan in this style would allow easy walk-in with no duck under, except perhaps for occasional maintenance in the turnback loops and even those could be eliminated with a narrow access aisle around the ends (for which there seems to be room)

The posted plan is in a much smaller space and does not include staging. In the larger space available to the Original Poster, staging would be easy to add.

I really like that design. I am going to do more research on it, thanks for all the info in your previous post- its helping alot! I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm constantly changing my mind. One minute I just want to get a 4x8 and have a small decent layout for now until I get a house, the next minute im looking at that mamoth and wanting to build it. Ahhhh!

I'm not terribly fond of most waterwings designs because they either aren't scenically pure or they restrict main length over a doughnut design. Personally as well, I'd either move or cut out the industries in the interchange yard only because that many tracks inside a curve reminds me of Lynn Wescott. Perhaps turn the branch into an industrial park as opposed to a mine. Or turn a couple of the other industries into mines and make it a coal-hauling layout.

Also, the plan doesn't need staging because of that nice interchange yard/track. All it needs is a place to park the engine/s at the end of the day.

demattio, the above water wings doesn't have to be any less portable than a doughnut. It looks like the branch and corner could be separate pieces, and then big 4x4 chunks for the main curves. It's still supported by shelf brackets where it;s against the wall, but the big curves could have a couple legs or even bookcases under them.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know how you power and operate kato n scale turnouts with the beginner digitrack system?
Welcome Hydro1 ,.....You might have better results starting your own thread in the DCC or N scale section. No harm done......but you might be visible to more members that way.

Mike

I'm not terribly fond of most waterwings designs because they either aren't scenically pure or they restrict main length over a doughnut design. Personally as well, I'd either move or cut out the industries in the interchange yard only because that many tracks inside a curve reminds me of Lynn Wescott. Perhaps turn the branch into an industrial park as opposed to a mine. Or turn a couple of the other industries into mines and make it a coal-hauling layout.

Also, the plan doesn't need staging because of that nice interchange yard/track. All it needs is a place to park the engine/s at the end of the day.

demattio, the above water wings doesn't have to be any less portable than a doughnut. It looks like the branch and corner could be separate pieces, and then big 4x4 chunks for the main curves. It's still supported by shelf brackets where it;s against the wall, but the big curves could have a couple legs or even bookcases under them.

Very true. Im going to look into this. I'll have a hard time getting that bench work tho. I don't have experience But my dad will be glad to help, only problem is he is super busy with work :(

Very true. Im going to look into this. I'll have a hard time getting that bench work tho. I don't have experience But my dad will be glad to help, only problem is he is super busy with work :(

Benchwork doesn't have to be hard. The HOG for example, can use simple ladder frames made from 1x2 that get set on shelves and bolted together, and the concept can simply be expanded to fit your available space. Especially if you use a thick base of foam, then the benchwork even for that Waterwings layout can be simple ladder frames. The only thing to keep in mind is that you have to have risers come up from the benchwork so the track at the joints has something firm to anchor to.

I'm not terribly fond of most waterwings designs because they either aren't scenically pure or they restrict main length over a doughnut design.

I think you might find that this particular waterwings plan has a longer mainline than the Original Poster's plan, especially considering that it could be significantly expanded in his space.

I think you might find that this particular waterwings plan has a longer mainline than the Original Poster's plan, especially considering that it could be significantly expanded in his space.

"either aren't scenically pure or restrict [visible] main length"

I did forget to make it 'visible' main. But my point still stands.

You think the base of this thing could be make with foam instead of plywood? That seems a little weak to me?

Some wood framing is still a good idea. But extruded foam is fairly strong. Two 2" layers glued together would be more than stiff enough for a model railroad.

"either aren't scenically pure or restrict [visible] main length"

I did forget to make it 'visible' main. But my point still stands.

Some wood framing is still a good idea. But extruded foam is fairly strong. Two 2" layers glued together would be more than stiff enough for a model railroad.

4" of foam seems like alot of foam, I wonder if my lowes even carries it and what they charge, ill have to stop and see.

Saved you a trip. Lowes.com lists it at $26.76 for a 4x8 sheet 2" thick. You're lucky, looks like it's about $8 less a sheet for you than what my Lowes charges!

I know this is going to drive some crazy, but I'm thinking I might just go with the good old 4x8. It will be simple and cheap to build, and easy to move.

Back