Dead Atlas Frogs

jscw1

Jack Strong
Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. I know everyone has complained about the dead spots on the Atlas switches. Especially the # 6 and #8. Every time you run a short wheel base locomotive it hesitates or stalls. Now I can see reversing the polarity if you are running DC but what can a guy do for a DCC system? I talked with Atlas Techs and they said use a small bus bar but really didn't explain how to hook that up. Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem? Still scratching my head

You can drill a small hole into the nether side of a metal frog, insert, a screw with a small wire soldered to it, and power the frog that way. Means a toggle switch to reverse the frog's polarity...which is a pain from my personal point of view. Many do it, though.

I have longish Fast Tracks #8's with dead frogs, and I don't have any stalling problems at all, not even with a small P2K SW8.

-Crandell

Well, you could replace the switches with ones that have powered frogs, then solder drops to the diverging route so that you'd always get power.

Jack,
The only short wheelbase loco I own is an old MDC 0-6-0 saddle tank, it stalled on every switch which is why it sat for 30 years, I added 2 Tomar brass shoes to it, one ahead and one behind the wheels to lengthen it's wheelbase.

It improved, but still stalled a little and never at the same place, the interesting thing is this.
One shoe hung up and bent, so I removed it temporarily, the loco hasn't stalled once since...the operational shoe is screwed to the frame extending the pick up on that side...I run DCC BTW..you might give it a try, it'd be easy with any piece of springy brass.

Dick

Back