Dcc wiring problem

Scottew7

I have a atlas commamder dcc system wich is discontinued, soon swithing to digitraxx on friday. i wired my set up and ran a athearn genesis NS SD60M half way around and it shorted out. the system cuts off automatically when there is a short thats the way i understand it. I couldn't find the problem. so i just wired a 9in straight section to the system and it still shut off.! the programing track works fine to program my locos. i don't know could it be the dcc system. i am switching to the zephyr friday hopefully

Does it do that with a different engine? If not that would narrow it down PDQ.
If it's doing it on a straight piece of track with nothing else connected I'd suspect the system.

Is the engine or any rolling stock on a turnout when this happens?
Sometimes a piece of rolling stock will short out on a frog making it look like something else.
Start by removing everything but the engine and see where it stops if at all.
If at a turnout it will most likely be on a frog.
Good Luck

if it randomly shorts out, it may be the decoder shorting out on the locomotive frame inside the loco, or a pinched wire, or something similar.

OK, did you read Rico's answer? Try another engine on the same short section of track. If you have same problem, the control station is bad. If not, the engine is bad. It's a lot easier to help if you narrow down the problem.

Okay, if it's a straight piece of track with nothing on it at all and nothing else connected to it I'd say it's the system. Never heard of a short like that!
You could try another piece of track but I doubt it would make a difference.
I'd put a meter on the unconnected track leads and see what it reads.
Otherwise take it back to the hobby shop or manufacturer and get them to look at it.

Sorry, I did read your answer but misunderstood it. Using capital letters and punctuation would make your thoughts a lot more clear. It seems obvious that something has gone south in the MRC system. Once you get the new system, hook it up and it should run fine.

Back