DCC Turnout Track

Question 1: Which manufacturers make DCC turnout track?
Question 2: Are the electronics separate from the actual track or integrated?
Question 3: Can you provide Internet links so I can see what you're talking about?

Background: I know that Bachmann has what appears to be turnout track (left and right) that is all-in-one (that is, the electronics are part of the track). I need to replace two sections on a layout from DC to DCC. I'm not against the track and electronics being separate, but these sections of track are in accessible tunnels and thus, cannot be seen by the causual observer. Something more bulking (assuming it fits) like Bachmann is fine. The layout was purchased used and I'm finishing it, but the track appears to be Atlas type - rather than Bachmann.

Yes, Bachmann does make turnouts with the DCC electronics built in. The turnouts however don't lock in position so it's very possible that a locos or cars wheels could pick the points and cause a derailment. For that reason I don't recommend that they be used in an inaccessible area. They are also quite expensive. An EZ-Command #5 turnout costs $52! I'd think for that kind of money they could design it so that it locks in position.

Holy crap, Jeff!!!!! I have not looked at their prices for maybe four years now, but I had no idea!!!

You can make your own turnouts with just a bit of skills development, some soldiering materials, rail stock, and some PCB ties. It must sound daunting to those who read my post, but believe me when I say once you have tackled a first turnout, and understand how they go together, you never look back. And any you make will be vastly superior, and cheaper, than anything you buy commercially except maybe the scale turnouts such as Proto 87 or Central Valley.

What's left? Atlas Customline are reliable and pretty good, better are Peco Code 83 Streamline turnouts.

Yes I would get some Peco turnouts, they have springs in them that keep the points against the rails. You can get them for about $25 each.

Holy crap, Jeff!!!!! I have not looked at their prices for maybe four years now, but I had no idea!!!

You can make your own turnouts with just a bit of skills development, some soldiering materials, rail stock, and some PCB ties. It must sound daunting to those who read my post, but believe me when I say once you have tackled a first turnout, and understand how they go together, you never look back. And any you make will be vastly superior, and cheaper, than anything you buy commercially except maybe the scale turnouts such as Proto 87 or Central Valley.

What's left? Atlas Customline are reliable and pretty good, better are Peco Code 83 Streamline turnouts.
The cost of the Bachmann DCC turnouts scared me off from using them. Since almost all my turnouts are within reach I use Bachmann's manual turnouts. They have springs that lock them in position.

DCC Turnouts

The last time I used HO, was - let's see, around 1960. I don't know what you guys know.

1. Can I assume the Bachmann is the only turnout: (1) that has the DCC electronics built in; and (2) uses it's power and direction from the track (as opposed to all others that must be adapted, changed, altered)? (COST: $45-50+)

2a. Okay - assuming I use "Peco turnouts" (or anything similar as I'm using what appears to be Atlas type track) how do I install "motors" and the necessary "electronics" to power them using a Bachmann E-Z Command Digital Command Controller. If possible, can you provide a link to a step-by-step explanation?

2b. Using Peco or a similar track adopted for DCC, roughly, what would be the cost after purchasing the: (1) Peco/Atlas track; (2) "motor"; (3) wire; and (4) any additional items?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to control the turnouts using your DCC throttle.

For Peco Insulfrog switches, you can get their Peco switch machines part# PL-10W.
This mounts directly under the switch with 4 tabs. So you will have to make about a 2" x 3" hole underneath.

Then you will need a stationary decoder. For Peco switch machines you can get an NCE switch-IT, which controls one turnout.

The Peco switch machines have 3 wires, a left, a right, and a common positive. You have to solder the wires on the switch machine. Those 3 wires connect to the NCE switch-IT stationary decoder. Then you program an address to it.

I have all of this, I have 24 switches on my layout right now that I control with my NCE throttle.

Now, if you want to just control them manually with your fingers, you don't need anything, just install them and go. No other wiring required.

The cost is:

Peco Insulfrog switch $25
Peco switch machine: $9
NCE switch-IT: $20

Does the EZ support stationary decoders? My understanding is that it's pretty limited.

Don't let MSRP scare you off. Bachmann DCC turnouts can be had for a lot less than $52 via mailorder through Amazon's resellers and others. I don't have any experience with them, I'm still trying to decide of I'm goignt o stay with E-Z Track (N-scale) or swithc to something else.

It seems to me the model industry more than any other is really profound in the difference between manufacturer price and dealer price. It's often easy to find brand new products for half the manufacturer price after just a few minutes searching on the internet.

These Bachmann DCC turnouts are easily found at 25 to 35 % less than MSRP. Almost makes it interesting.

Are there any good options for surface mount DCC push buttons if a guy didn't want to use his CAB to control the turnouts?
________
Beretta elite crosman 19 shot stick

Last edited by a moderator:
Motley
I'm confused. Aren't you suggesting that I can purchase a Bachmann all-in-one for about $50 or buy a bunch of parts and put them together myself for about $50? What am I missing?

I wasn't suggesting anything, I was just showing you the setup I have, and what it costs. I have no experience or knowledge of the bachman switches.

Now there is an option for pushbuttons to control turnouts, NCE Mini-panel, for controlling multiple switches for routing. But again you still have to have the switch machines and stationary decoders.

There are lots of other options for controlling turnouts. Atlas switches have under the table mounted switch machines controlled with a push button, and there are other types of switch machines like the Tortiose, which is a slow motion switch machine that is mounted under the table, and has a wire that goes up through the table. But they also need a stationary decoder.

Just an FYI, you can get Bachmann DCC turnouts for $25-$35 new depending on radius. I can tell you from experience that their remote turnouts are utter crap out of the box. The manual switches work fine. I honestly couldn't tell you whether the DCC are any good but I thought I would at least dispel the notion of $50+ for a single turnout. It's really on

I'm still waffling over turnouts myself. I have a decent amount of Bachmann track but I want some more and I want some nice turnouts. My recent experience has me wondering if I should simply begin again with some other track. I hate to waste perfectly good track but I also hate to waste more money on bad turnouts.

My 2¢.

I believe the key to having a solid running layout, is having quality turnouts. When I did my research, Peco seemed to be one of the best products available. I have over 24 Peco Insulfrog turnouts that work flawlessly.

The only thing I don't like about them, is the tiny spring mechanizim is very delicate, if you're not careful when installing the turnouts (like I was) the spring is easily popped off.

Lots of places have it. But I usually buy it from my LHS...

+1

However, it's not on display! - At my LHS you've got to ask for it, go to "the back" to a cupboard and 90% of the time, it's there! - Including Walthers/Shinohara curved T/O's etc!

Even if it's not in stock, they'll get it as fast as I could directly. And they discount the price!

I love my LHS :)

Cheers,
Ian

+1

However, it's not on display! - At my LHS you've got to ask for it, go to "the back" to a cupboard and 90% of the time, it's there! - Including Walthers/Shinohara curved T/O's etc!

Even if it's not in stock, they'll get it as fast as I could directly. And they discount the price!

I love my LHS :)

Cheers,
Ian

ha, funny you should say that, when I was first looking for Peco flex track, they (LHS) didn't have any out where the other Atlas and Walthers track was, so I asked, and it was in a back room in some drawers, all hidden away. It was strange.

Back