DCC system question

So as our club gets closer to a DCC system we are stuck on which system to go with. NCE or Digitraxx. What are some Pro's and Con's of both systems?

Our club is made up of varying age ranges from 21 being the youngest to 70 being the oldest. Which one of the two would be the easiest to operate and figure out? Any input would be great.

Chad

Our club went with Digitrax, as many of the members had that already as well. I'd go with the system that most members have already, since now just about all systems are compatible on their ease of use.

We also went with the Digitrax Super Chief 8 amp system because it can handle up 120 locos and 120 throttles at one time.

Best recommendation is for ALL your club members to try as many different DCC systems as possible at local clubs, home layouts & the LHS. It's the only way to know which one is good for ALL the members. You'll be able to get a hands on feel of the throttles & how the systems operate. Also DCC has been discussed alot on this forum & others so do searches on each system. There are also Yahoo Groups for each system.

My preference is NCE as it is very easy to use, set up & operate. Club members can get the NCE Power Cab for home use & use it on the clubs bigger system. Have see Digitrax used & used it myself & it is NOT user friendly. And know two clubs who wished they had never gone w/ it!

NCE is very popular in my area and personally I strongly prefer the NCE controllers to Digitrax. So NCE was an easy decision for me.

Either is a fine choice.

...Have see Digitrax used & used it myself & it is NOT user friendly. And know two clubs who wished they had never gone w/ it!

You must not have seen or used it lately then. If there are 2 clubs in the area that have problems with it, then they didn't set it up correctly. We have many in our area that use it, find it very user friendly, and have had no problems with it at all.

If the "problems" associated with it were with the throttles please note that those throttles that were hard to work, haven't be offered for sale for almost 10 years. The DT-400 series of throttles are as easy as a NCE throttle to use. I know that as well as I also have used both systems.

My experiences w/ Digitrax were only 2 years ago so it wasn't the older equipment. Even had their radio throttle to use at club & my Power Cab is WAY easier to use. Besides Digitrax manuals must have been written by ALIEN (as in not of this earth!) computer geeks making them completely useless!

You are always going to have the problem with your club membership of some who would prefer to just stick with DC and the others who want to go DCC. Count on losing a few members whichever way you go on the issue.
As far as choosing a DCC system, Digitrax is the more widely used system and gives the user the ability to reach deeper into the operating parameters of DCC to do the whizz bang stuff while at the same time, is easy enough for the beginners to figure out in a few short periods of instruction.
I would suggest if you go with Digitrax, that you make a large readable poster that you can hang on the wall in a place that is visible to all on how to acquire a locomotive. It's a pretty easy function to do on Digitrax and is probably the most that the naysayers will ever want to do with it. You will also have members who will want to dig into every CV variable known to man with this system, and that is a good thing. What they are able to do will rub off on a few other members so you don't end up with one or two key persons that the club has to rely on to make the railroad work. Installing decoders in locos will be the same for both systems. Running power wire to the track, setting up power blocks, signals and controlled turnouts and laying out the data cables is all the same for either system. Your only real difference is in the hand held controller and with that, you have a learning curve for acquiring a locomotive, assigning addresses to locomotives and stationary decoders as well as controlling the power to the layout and reading fault codes. Both systems use the handheld controller to tweak the system.
Digitrax is simple enough that you can set it up so all you have to do is turn on the power and acquire a locomotive and run.
I've run extensively on both NCE and Digitrax and prefer the Digitrax without question.
So bottom line here, both systems have a few steps involved to acquire a locomotive which is the basic thing that most operators want to do. From there, it’s just a matter of being able to read the manual, learn a few basic terms and follow the steps on how to make the decoders do what ya want them to do. In addition to that, there are tons of forums on line that can help with deeper issues that ya might run into. Oh, and both systems can run a DC locomotive for those who just absolutely refuse to have anything to do with DCC. Just put the loco on the track, dial up 00 on any controller and hand it to the anti-DCC operator and watch him have fun. Promise him, it won't eat his soul.

Last edited by a moderator:
I belong to two clubs in my area, one uses Digitrax, one uses NCE. I have Digitrax on my home layout. I have used Digitrax since dirt was a rock, and used System One before that. I have found that if you start with Digitrax, NCE is not user-friendly. If you start with NCE, you will run screaming out of the room if you try Digitrax after.
After getting familiar with both systems, I have found Digitrax is easier to acquire an address and run a train, s well as control DCC turnouts. NCE seems to be easier to build consists and program CVs on the fly. With Digitrax, you can "dispatch", or delete, an entire consist with the pushing of a couple of buttons. NCE, at least the way I was taught, you have to break down the MU, delete the consist, then delete each address.
So, each has its pros and cons.

NCE, at least the way I was taught, you have to break down the MU, delete the consist, then delete each address.

You were taught incorrectly. It's one step with NCE.

Both Digitrax and NCE are fine products. I think it's important to have accurate information about each posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digitrax <snip> gives the user the ability to reach deeper into the operating parameters of DCC to do the whizz bang stuff

What is the basis for this statement? Either system allows you to manipulate individual CVs (as do others).

Both Digitrax and NCE are fine products. I think it's important to have accurate information about each posted.

... Besides Digitrax manuals must have been written by ALIEN (as in not of this earth!) computer geeks making them completely useless!

I wouldn't know. I've never read any of my manuals except to check on making my own Loconet cables. That I found was very clear.

You were taught incorrectly. It's one step with NCE.

If you get the chance, can you either post here or PM instructions for this? The way I was shown was pretty convoluted, which is why I made mention of it.
Thanks.

If you get the chance, can you either post here or PM instructions for this?
The users manual is on-line, a helpful resource.

I don't have the system set up in front of me, but from memory: pressing the "CLEAR" button gives you the option to kill the full selected consist (by pressing "1", if I recall correctly). Then all locos operate independently.

My club uses NCE. They chose it mostly because its more user-friendly, easier to learn.

Your club? No Kenny, it's my club!! :rolleyes::p Yeah I know, its ours! :D

Seriously, our club made its best move when we went DCC. Yeah, we lost a few, but we gained more!
As far as systems, we simply found ways to invite the club officers to "road test" the 2 systems, then considered which system had the best local support (i.e. local hobbyshop or vendor ,neighboring club, and/or local electronics guru). Then based on all of that we went with NCE!

That was in 1998, and we haven't looked back since!:D:D:D

The users manual is on-line, a helpful resource.

I don't have the system set up in front of me, but from memory: pressing the "CLEAR" button gives you the option to kill the full selected consist (by pressing "1", if I recall correctly). Then all locos operate independently.

That makes more sense than the multi-step process that didn't really work that I couldn't find anywhere.

Not to state the obvious, but ulitimately, it's going to be a decision that the members of your club will make after careful consideration despite what is said here. Whatever you decide, between these two manufacturers, you will make the right decision.

I dont belong to a club. If I did before I had my own layout, I bet that wouldve strongly influenced the choice of DCC system I purchased, and vice-versa.

I chose and love the NCE system. I tried the Digitrax Zephyr system (not what youd have at a club) and just found it cumbersome. This is not a bang on Digitrax as they make some great products, but that unit looks like it fell off a Soviet spacecraft or something. NCE is just so easy to use, expandable, and smaller.

QUOTE: "but that unit looks like it fell off a Soviet spacecraft or something."

That's a good one. Back when I worked on Skylab we saw a photo of a Soviet capsule with a bare light bulb and a pull-chain to turn it on/off. What a hoot!

Internally Digitrax is probably a fine design. I've never heard any complaints. But, I was rather turned off by the simple cylindrical (Soviet) shape of the molded keys. They are like a 3-Dollar Hong Kong calculator from 20-years ago. And the logo with the cute little choo-choo kind of makes me queasy.

I have both the NCE and DigiTrax systems.

I much prefer the controller on the NCE.

The DigiTrax controllers, while functional, seems kinda cheap - those little buttons really feel flimsy.

Both are fine systems overall and I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Back