Dcc on analogue?

NS Rich

Hi master electricians. Ok for those of us with basic questions, don't laugh ha ha . Can I run a DCC loco on analogue MRC transformer? I know you can do the other way around. The frequency the club uses to run my analogue trains on DCC is 00. I want to purchase a dcc logo but when I build my layout using the MRC transformer, will there be a problem if it has the dcc encoder installed? Thanks!

NS Richard

Any Dual-Mode decoder (which is most by default) will run on analogue just fine. Some sound decoders will even do it.

Should I remove the DCC decoder? My layout will be very basic and to be honest I'm not all that thrilled running the complicated DCC system at the club.

Why would you want to remove the decoder? The engine should run just fine on the standard layout with the decoder, and you still have the option to run on a DCC system should the opportunity present itself. If you must have an engine without a decoder, then buy yourself a different engine and save the money that the upgraded engine would cost. This to me seems like a no brainer. Upgrade engines at every opportunity, never ever downgrade.

Yes thank you, that is what I was thinking but just wanted to be sure there would be no problems. Better to be upgraded for the future.

I wouldn't want to pin our original asker down, especially if he doesn't really want to go in this new direction for his thread, but I am interested in his statement about the complicated nature of his club's DCC system. This assertion flies in the face of everything I understand about DCC. It is meant to simplifiy wiring and operation by eliminating blocks and the associated apparatus and wiring.

Would the gentleman mind fleshing out his statement a bit for us?

-Crandell

Too many controls on the remote hand held units. I'm for simple and as basic as it gets.
I see too many gents fumbling around during operating sessions not knowing what does what. Next thing you know it gets late and the club closes for the night. I'll take the simple circle or dogbone layout through a few mountains over all that train yard fiasco.

Okay, thanks. I am with you...I prefer more mainline, through-scenery, running and less of the operational stuff. I switch my small yard manually anyway since in the steam era much of it was done by hand. Otherwise, I have about 60' of a folded loop main that I enjoy standing in and watching trains scoot around me.

I think the guys doing the fumbling were in need of some training and more time on the system. I am able to pick up my throttles and go...that fast. In larger club layouts with dispatcher and lots of timed operations and switching, I can see occasional users fumbling. It would especially be so if they use one system at home and then only get to the club and its different system about every other month...or more seldom. :eek:

Some fellas will advise those seeking to purchase to look to what local users have, particularly if you belong to a club that has converted to DCC. That may not be bad advice, but you have to be happy at home for a far, far, greater percentage of the time. ;)

I totally agree, the more you use the throttle the better you get.
My main throttle occasionally loses it's digital readout and I still program and run trains with it just 'cause I'm so used to it.
When I'm at the club I take my simpler throttle with less buttons and such just for the reasons you mentioned. I even run a DC loco from time to time on address 00.

Some MRC powerpacks use pulsed DC which provides excellent slow speed control for non-DCC engines but is not the best for decoders, they prefer their DC nice and smooth. The only decoders I've fried (2 out of 43 installed) were running them on an MRC powerpack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have the dual MRC 2800. The throttles are smooth which I believe is based on the pulse technology. It worked excellent on N scale also. Now I'm into HO. My engines are Kato and Atlas. I believe DCC is better for the larger club layouts. Was Digitrax the early stages for the newer DCC units? I was reading some operators like it better, more user friendly. Can anyone use a pair of HO Kato ATSF SD40-2 snoots? Have pictures.

Pulse power will kill a DCC decoder. Regular DC is fine but not pulse power. Most modern engines will run fine on normal DC power. Pulse power was a lot more valuable back in the days of motors that had lousy speed response.

As far as handheld throttles, you really only need to understand maybe four or five buttons to run on a club layout. Forwards, backwards, speed control, and any controls for things like DCC stationary decoders for things like switches. I ran at Rex's layout with about two minutes of instruction and figured out most of the things I needed either on my own or having one of the other guys show me what I was doing wrong. I know that handheld controllers look daunting with all the buttons and knobs but you don't have to learn what they all do to run at a club level. It's kind of like my SUV. I've had it for three years and have yet to learn what some of the controls do but I manage to drive it back and forth to town without killing anyone. :)

Back