Dcc / dc question

TAUMULLER

I have a question.. we are building a new club layout and are thinking about upgrading to dcc control. Some of the members dont want to convert to dcc control.. So my question is.. If we add decoders to units for running dcc , can these units still run on normal dc / cab control? I dont mean at the same time.. we would wire the layout for both types of operation .. different times .. not together. The reason is most members are not comfortable wiring dcc to the steamer type loco. I dont know if it is hard or not. Then again we dont want to invest in 2 locos one dcc and one dc. Trying to appease everyone , and keep cost down.

Any info would be good.

What we did in the club I belonged to when we decided on going to DCC, was leave all the old throttles in place, with a single master switch to change from analog to DCC. That way the DC guys could run without fear, and the DCC guys could be in business with the flick of a switch. I think the switch and wiring cost less than $50. It is important to get a 3 position, "center off" switch.

Thanks for the info.. I get that part. Im learning about dcc .. so can you run a dcc loco on a dc layout... or does it only work on dcc. Once you add a decoder is that unit only dcc .. or is it able to run both ways.

You can mix them at the same time, but in the case of DCC power and signal getting to a DC motor, it ain't pretty. On Address "00" on a DCC hand-held, you will be able to run a single DC engine. If you place two or more on the tracks, they'll all behave as one, going forward or backward as they would on a DC track system. The real problem, depending on the condition of the drivetrain (motor, gears, and final drives) is that the DCC signal comes in a pulsed wave, which your DC motor will interpret as sounds from a squawking violin. The motor will 'sing' and groan, and sound like someone is pulling its nails out of its fingers.

The other way, a strictly DC layout with DCC engines equipped with decoders, is fine, although there are some caveats. First, you won't be able to fine tune the engines' performance, the whole rationale behind the decoders in the first place. Secondly, only decoders that are designed to run on both types of current (called 'dual mode' decoders) will safely operate on either type of voltage.

So, the idea of a two-way switch to enable power delivery by either/or is the way to go, and yes, keep both systems available to their proponents and adherents to maintain harmony. Those with dual mode decoders will have the better circumstances because they will be able to run their engines with more ease and no noise, but only if they can have access to the cabs controlling those engines' power districts.

-Crandell

We had this issue at our club. we currently run DC and DCC. the way we do this is that each "block" has 6 cabs. 1-5 are for the DC guys and 6 is for DCC. this works well for a old club with an old layout in place. its basicly like a old DC layout but one cab is reserved for DCC users.

IMHO if your starting a new layout forget DC. Its outdated and will cause more wireing issues and operating issues than a new club needs. Its like running a 20 year old computer. sure it works but do you really need the headaches. Just tonight we had 6 guys on DCC and one on DC. people had to chase blocks all night and had shorts when people missed them. Last weekend we had 10 guys running all on DCC.. not one problem for hours. Mistakes happen but DCC can reduce this.
IMO DCC is so afordable that it should be a standard at this point. And if I can add my opinion( I know im going to get flamed here LOL) I dont reccomend the use of Digitrax DCC to power the layout. IMO Digitraxx was made to operate so that only a "computer geeks" can understand its functions. Yes it is great in the options it has but it is not user friendly and thats what elders need to understand it better. Other systems such as NCE are 110% more intuitive but sadly they just dont have the backing of people that may have only known the more popular Digitrax system.

that just my .02 so flame on!!!! LOL

Back