Cutting Track

Whats the best way to cut the track to insert the switches and that? My dad has a track saw that he got back in the 80's from Atlas, will that do the trick or is there a easier way that has worked for you guys?

I have never felt comfortable with the idea of using a saw unless it is a jeweler's saw. Trouble is, you can't use one on track alread in position...it needs to be clamped in a vise. So, I would use a Xuron Rail Nipper held vertically, although that has risks, too. The beveled inner face of the jaws tends to force rail on that side away from it, which will disturb track for some distance in that direction, or potentially so. A fine diamond cut-off disk can certainly be used, although you'll want steady hands and to use the flexible extension in order to get it vertical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to use my lazer beam vision, but when not showing off I use a cut off disk in my dremal with flex shaft tons easier!

I use the rail nipper. Works great. It's basically a small size sharp wire cutter.
Always cut vertically, which is top to bottom

I've been using a hacksaw. Check HomeDepot, Lowes, or Harbor Freight and get the highest tooth count you can find. I'd also recommend using a hacksaw frame handle vs a full hacksaw.
Hacksaw_Frame.jpg

It's been working fine for me :)
Doug

A sharp Atlas saw or hacksaws like Doug shows have worked the best for me. I have used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel but I find that only works well if the track is on a workbench and I can can control the cut precisely.

if you use the Dremel (i did), use the Heavy Duty Reinforced cutoff wheels. They won't shatter as often.

but always wear safety glasses and keep small children and critters out of the room. Those broken disks can be very, very dangerous.

Yes Sir on the reinforced wheels!!.. A guide works great too for getting the rails even when using a hand saw...it's placed over the rails and keeps the saw blade straight..Tho if you have finished area your cutting or even say a 2 or more mainline section, a hand saw will do more damage than help. There won't be much room to work the hand saw.

Ok next question..is there a site where i can design my yard ? Im trying to figure out from my drawing how many left and right switches I'm going to need. I have it scribbled out on paper but I keep loosing track of my left and right counts.

Back