Curves on a Bridge revisited

Maxi, your curved plate girder bridge is good enough for all practical purposes. Like I said, I don't think anyone in Malta is enough of a bridge expert to visit your layout and complain. :)

He he he ...I won't give up..
here is the next "design" ...

Jos

ps: actualy on my post# 19 You see a picture of a tunnelentrance and under it a small opening/entrance ..that was made to let flow a small river too because of the narrow space the "designers" had to deal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jos, I like your plan for viaduct structure for the river. That's just what a real railroad would have to do in such tight conditions. Maybe Maxi can work that in with his existing bridge.

Curved I-Girger Bridges

Hold Your Horses Max Wait Till You See This!
Take a look at what I came across and will solve your problem!

A Horizontally Curved I-Girder Bridge so this proves that they do exist!

Horizontally_Curved_I-Girder_bridge.jpg

A model RR friend who is also a Engineer on the real SP/D&RGW or whatever it is now? once told me if you can dream it up it been done somewhere on the railroad line.

Grandted curved Deck I-Girder Bridges were few and far between but all things are possible as the photo shows! The other thing that the forum members need to consider is that a little modeling liberty is Ok now and then
as very few if any modelers model anything 100% authentic down to the last detail so there's no reason you can't do what ever works best on 'YOUR' layout for the circumstances at hand.

HTH
David

So you mean that I have to rip that bridge apart again and make a straight one, but wide enough to hold that curve and my long SD40-2 ? that will be a really wide bridge to make :S

The lower curve in the picture can give you a slight idea of teh curve I have to tackle for that bridge.

dockside_4b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there you go! Like they say... there's a prototype for everything!
"Rule #1 is now in effect!"

I agree that anything can be built. I wish that picture was bigger but I'll bet that those girders are short, straight sections that form the apparent curve you see in the photo. You can do the same type of thing with model girders although it's probably not worth the effort of you have a way to bend longer girders. My point was that real railroads would never use a curved gurder if there was another way to do it because curving steel that big costs big money.

Indeed, you don't have to follow rules when the taxpayer foots the bill. :) I suspect those industrial spur leads were there before the freeway. Since it looks like the two big customers are auto plants, the curves have to be eased to accomodate those 89 foot auto racks. In this case, I'm sure the railroad was able to dictate the minimum degree of curvature and it was up to the taxpayers to build the bridge.

Back