Crossing Bucks vs. Crossing Signals, Which Should I Use?

GuilfordRailman

I wasn’t sure the best place to post my question so I figured the general discussion section would be best.

On my micro-layout, I have an industrial boulevard that has three tracks pretty much parallel to one another. Two of the tracks serve industries, while the other is the main line. What would be the more prototypical choice of crossing “signage” for this setup? Should I use a pair of crossing bucks for each track or would crossing signals with gates be more prototypical? See the picture below for what the setup looks like:

1719FB05-0850-4532-A187-4B3E7EEEB2A3.jpeg

Just for reference, the main line is the center track.

There are a number of factors involved here that would affect what the prototype would do and what is practicable in terms of space under the layout for crossing gate actuators. In point of fact, a prototype railroad would want to get away with the cheapest cost possible. That would point to crossbucks. But it would also depend on how heavy the vehicle traffic is on the road, and how heavy the traffic and how fast it would be on the main track, especially trains coming around the curve from where the train is now. You might get away with flashing light crossbucks or overhead lights on either side of the main, with the industrial spurs protected by flagmen when those are being worked. From a safety standpoint gates and lights gates on the near and far side of the three tracks would be best...if the railroad considers the risk of accidents and lawsuits with just crossbucks worth the risk! I have two main grade crossings on my layout, both of which have main tracks with potentially highspeed trains running. I would have like to put in gates, but the support structure of the layout under the crossings preclude the mechanisms. So I have used a combination of overhead flashing lights on bridges, plus flashing crossbucks and warning bells.

Best of luck!

There are a number of factors involved here that would affect what the prototype would do and what is practicable in terms of space under the layout for crossing gate actuators. In point of fact, a prototype railroad would want to get away with the cheapest cost possible. That would point to crossbucks. But it would also depend on how heavy the vehicle traffic is on the road, and how heavy the traffic and how fast it would be on the main track, especially trains coming around the curve from where the train is now. You might get away with flashing light crossbucks or overhead lights on either side of the main, with the industrial spurs protected by flagmen when those are being worked. From a safety standpoint gates and lights gates on the near and far side of the three tracks would be best...if the railroad considers the risk of accidents and lawsuits with just crossbucks worth the risk! I have two main grade crossings on my layout, both of which have main tracks with potentially highspeed trains running. I would have like to put in gates, but the support structure of the layout under the crossings preclude the mechanisms. So I have used a combination of overhead flashing lights on bridges, plus flashing crossbucks and warning bells.

Best of luck!
I didn’t think about the curve and the speed of traffic through there. Good information here! It would probably make the most sense to use flashing signals with gates since I’m planning on having several trees on the small hill next to the main which in reality would block a good visual of any train traffic.

My thinking was to have flashing signals with gates for the main and spur running directly parallel to it with signage indicating two tracks, while only using crossing bucks on the other spur track that is more stand alone. Not sure if this is entirely realistic tho…?

For the industry that's closest to us (in the pic), crossbucks is all you need (some industrial sidings might not even have those).

The crew would "manually protect" when switching, with a red flag, a fusee, or both. That's called "flagging the crossing".

For the industrial track and the mainline beyond, we'd probably use flashers for traffic coming from the far end of the picture, and perhaps another set of flashers with the post mounted between the two industrial tracks.

The flashers would operate automatically for the main line.

For the second industry, the crew might either protect manually, or perhaps there would be a "box" there that could manually activate the flashers for switching moves.

For a situation like this I believe the brakeman would be in street with a flag watching for motor vehicles while waving the engineer on, if all is clear...
If anything there would be a street sign/s for autos reading say, "5 mph"... In any event I do like your street modeling....

For the industry that's closest to us (in the pic), crossbucks is all you need (some industrial sidings might not even have those).

The crew would "manually protect" when switching, with a red flag, a fusee, or both. That's called "flagging the crossing".

For the industrial track and the mainline beyond, we'd probably use flashers for traffic coming from the far end of the picture, and perhaps another set of flashers with the post mounted between the two industrial tracks.

The flashers would operate automatically for the main line.

For the second industry, the crew might either protect manually, or perhaps there would be a "box" there that could manually activate the flashers for switching moves.
So hypothetically I could have only crossing bucks for both industrial spurs and flashers for the main while keeping it prototypical?

For a situation like this I believe the brakeman would be in street with a flag watching for motor vehicles while waving the engineer on, if all is clear...
If anything there would be a street sign/s for autos reading say, "5 mph"... In any event I do like your street modeling....
I like the idea of signs indicating 5 mph! Thanks for the compliment:)

Since your industry is technically private property, cross bucks are ok. Flashers are normally used on less travelled roads. Flashers and gates are normally used for higher travelled roads. At least that's what I see in my travels across upstate NY.

If you have flashers on the main crossing the closest industry track would be included in that circuit. You would have two "crossing zones", not three.

The reason being there isn't room for a vehicle between the industry crossing the engine is on and the main crossing.

If it were three crossings, lets say the engine is switching and clears up to let a main line train go by, it shoves into the industry track where the engine is in the picture and it is clear of the main but fouling the road. A truck pulls up to that crossing and stops at the crossbuck because that is where it's supposed to stop. Meanwhile the train comes through on the main and whacks the rear of the truck because it fouls the main. If it were all one big zone combining the industry track and the main, the truck would be stopped back clear of the main and nothing bad would happen.

On the other hand the two industry tracks are far enough apart that a car or a truck can stop between them and not foul the other track.

Back