Criitters......

But when you're a realist who very nearly failed science like I am, you open the box and say, "Oh, the cat's dead because we didn't feed it after we put it in this box."

The last few comments here ok Haha .. not funny . By the way, what do these comments have to do with the odd and obscure Railway Locomotives from what the 1930's - present?

BCK RR

Right; stay on the topic. We aren't here to have fun and games, you know.

scolding.jpg

Sweet Words in Any Language

k0mqnd.jpg

14nehab.jpg

v33b07.jpg

[video=youtube;-UcbflOnffg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UcbflOnffg&ebc=ANyPxKouxBKxo664moDqfm2om_wJI-fMzNixHYK9UPZdackX6EYZGVatw4YspGBkCTZXGbOL1hgOQVjO VNQDNPEsqwze3ifahQ&nohtml5=False[/video]

These little guys are simply known here as "Cane Trains". They operate on a network separate to that of Queensland Rail which is built to a 2 foot gauge. The small diesels come in all shapes and sizes and designs, and pull Sugar Bins as they're called. The bins are loaded onto the back of trucks which drive through the cane fields where the cane is harvested and loaded, and are then rolled off the trucks onto the small railways via special ramps.

Incredibly, there's over 4000km (2500 miles) of 2ft cane railways in the state of Queensland, and each sugar mill operates its own fleet and services. The railways themselves are primitive primitive and through farms, down streets, and even across people's driveways and front lawns. Some farmers also lay their own track which comes in kit form, almost like a giant train set, each season. There are numerous locations where the 2ft system crosses the 3ft 6in system of Queensland Rail, and to avoid the use of diamonds and crossovers, many small drawbrides have been built. (As in the third photo and video - the QR main line network is the electrified line and the intermodal train is owned and operated by Pacific National Queensland)

The bins are unbraked, and sometimes a small open wagon on the rear of the train provides additional remote controlled braking. The trains can weigh as much as 2000 tonnes, stretch more than a kilometre (0.6 miles) in length, and have a top speed of only 40km/h (25mph) or so.

Hope you guys find this as sweet as I do!!

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty cool. I would hate to deal with keeping the light weight cars on the track though. It would have to be as good as my standard gauge mainline. I was surprised to see a four axle diesel.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

QR Clyde/GM GL18-C 1720 Class

The Queensland Rail Clyde/GM GL18-C or 1720 Class is one of my all-time favourite locos. 56 of these little guys were built in Brisbane to a gauge of 1067mm (3ft 6in) in 1966, making the class 50 years old and still fully operational. They're only 13.4 metres (44 feet) long and weigh just 61.5 tonnes. They are geared for a maximum speed of 100km/h (60mph), ride on Co-Co bogies, and produce 1000 horsepower. The offset box in front of the cab didn't feature in original designs but was later added to house an air conditioning unit. 1720's frequently operate in parts of Queensland where temperatures often exceed 40C (104F).

1720s are extremely versatile, and their duties have included anything from branchline goods to suburban and long-distance passengers, tourist trains, intermodal, grain, livestock, ballast, bulk sugar, molasses, petrochemicals, shunting and more. They were also a popular on the Great South Pacific Express - a former ultra luxurious service built by QR and jointly owned by QR and Orient-Express.

In 2010, QR was split into two separate companies - the state-funded QR (suburban and long-distance passenger), and the privately owned Aurizon (freight). Aurizon inherited the entire 1720 fleet, but permitted QR to continue using them. Aurizon also sold 20 members of the class to South Africa where they have been overhauled and sold on to various African railways. Queensland Rail has recently purchased several 1720s back from Aurizon.

20hkrag.jpg
34fz285.jpg

(Left) Two 1720s in 'Bronco' livery on the Westlander. Although 1720 classes are common on long distance trains, it's rare that they lead.
(Right) Two 1720s pull an empty cattle train on the lonely Quilpie branch about 1000km inland from the coast. 1726 has a bent frame as a result of two separate level crossing accidents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1zgg746.jpg
1zyyj5s.jpg

(Left) 1764 leads a mixed goods from Dirranbandi to Toowoomba (I'd like to see some of you try and pronounce those names!!)
(Right) Two 1720s wearing the original blue livery on the rural Kingaroy branch at Kilkivan, the town where my mum grew up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2zoadjd.jpg
155ozlj.jpg

(Left) A 'Buda-Dji' livered 1771D in Cairns in Far North Queensland for use on the Kuranda Scenic Railway (KSR) services. Buda-Dji was a giant carpet snake from the mythical Aboriginal Dreamtime. He was said to have carved the impressive Barron Gorge whilst carrying beautiful shells on many trips between the Great Barrier Reef and Atherton Tablelands. As the story goes, he was ambushed by Bird-Men who stole his shells and killed him with a stone axe.
(Right) 1720's on the famous KSR. The 1720's size makes it perfect for this type of work due to the sharp curves, steep grades, dozens of bridges and tight clearances of the Kuranda line. The carriages used on the line are over a century old.

Hope you guys love them as much as I do. Thanks for reading. Please note - I did not take these photos and I take no credit for them.

Mitch

The Queensland Rail Clyde/GM GL18-C or 1720 Class is one of my all-time favourite locos. 56 of these little guys were built in Brisbane to a gauge of 1067mm (3ft 6in) in 1966, making the class 50 years old and still fully operational. They're only 13.4 metres (44 feet) long and weigh just 61.5 tonnes. They are geared for a maximum speed of 100km/h (60mph), ride on Co-Co bogies, and produce 1000 horsepower. The offset box in front of the cab didn't feature in original designs but was later added to house an air conditioning unit. 1720's frequently operate in parts of Queensland where temperatures often exceed 40C (104F).

1720s are extremely versatile, and their duties have included anything from branchline goods to suburban and long-distance passengers, tourist trains, intermodal, grain, livestock, ballast, bulk sugar, molasses, petrochemicals, shunting and more. They were also a popular on the Great South Pacific Express - a former ultra luxurious service built by QR and jointly owned by QR and Orient-Express.

In 2010, QR was split into two separate companies - the state-funded QR (suburban and long-distance passenger), and the privately owned Aurizon (freight). Aurizon inherited the entire 1720 fleet, but permitted QR to continue using them. Aurizon also sold 20 members of the class to South Africa where they have been overhauled and sold on to various African railways. Queensland Rail has recently purchased several 1720s back from Aurizon.

20hkrag.jpg
34fz285.jpg

(Left) Two 1720s in 'Bronco' livery on the Westlander. Although 1720 classes are common on long distance trains, it's rare that they lead.
(Right) Two 1720s pull an empty cattle train on the lonely Quilpie branch about 1000km inland from the coast. 1726 has a bent frame as a result of two separate level crossing accidents.

1zgg746.jpg
1zyyj5s.jpg

(Left) 1764 leads a mixed goods from Dirranbandi to Toowoomba (I'd like to see some of you try and pronounce those names!!)
(Right) Two 1720s wearing the original blue livery on the rural Kingaroy branch at Kilkivan, the town where my mum grew up.
2zoadjd.jpg
155ozlj.jpg

(Left) A 'Buda-Dji' livered 1771D in Cairns in Far North Queensland for use on the Kuranda Scenic Railway (KSR) services. Buda-Dji was a giant carpet snake from the mythical Aboriginal Dreamtime. He was said to have carved the impressive Barron Gorge whilst carrying beautiful shells on many trips between the Great Barrier Reef and Atherton Tablelands. As the story goes, he was ambushed by Bird-Men who stole his shells and killed him with a stone axe.
(Right) 1720's on the famous KSR. The 1720's size makes it perfect for this type of work due to the sharp curves, steep grades, dozens of bridges and tight clearances of the Kuranda line. The carriages used on the line are over a century old.

Hope you guys love them as much as I do. Thanks for reading. Please note - I did not take these photos and I take no credit for them.

Mitch
Mitch , Wrong type of loco , nice though .. however when I posted about Critters the intent was to focus on those odd ball locos / http://www.northeast.railfan.net/industrial.html which were built between 1930 - present .

BCK RR

Oh I thought we were talking about oddities and homemade jobbers
Yes, we are I think you missed this one Southern San Luis Valley RR, homebuilt 30T #D500 .. however no six axle oddities though , your photo's of CLYDE'S /GM GL18-C 1720 Class is way too modern and appears to be in the class of a heavy haul aka a Mainline Diesel in the U.S.A. at least by my standards ... lol Here's another one of my few favorites as well .

cfp98.jpg

BCK RR

The sugar cane railways are pretty neat. I may have to find a way to incorporate a working narrow gauge connection on my layout. That Southern San Luis Valley railroad locomotive has a face only a mother could love. I prefer the steam critters.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back