Cp Sd40-2f

CP9302

I build this shell a few years ago, along with a sister unit, but never got around to detailing and painting them. I've got the urge to finish these up and get them into revenue service. The first thing I'm doing is replacing the pilots and step wells with Railflyer parts.

The powered chassis is from a Kato SD40-2. A little milling was needed to fit the body on. Next step will be super detailing the bodies and then on to the paint shop.

CP-SD40-2F-042108-1.png

CP-SD40-2F-042108-2.png

Nice, always loved the "Red Barns"!
Keep us posted, it may inspire me to get going on one...

Great model! I kitashed one for CP's HQ about 16 years ago. A friend of mine did freelance PR for them, and asked if I would make one for them, based upon Patrick Lawson's article in RMC. Overland Models had released their version at the time, but they were no longer available. They wanted the model for some purpose, mounted in a display case.

My friend supplied all of the basics - Athearn bodies and chassis, paint, decals, plenty of prototype photos and a painting diagram. I took on the project mostly as a challenge. One of the few models that I kept track of the time it took me to make - 52 hours from start to mounting in the supplied case.

My friend asked if I might be interested in making 10 or so more - no way! I knew I could make others quicker, having learned how to do it once. Doing it once was enough for me.

I've scanned some overly contrasty color prints of my model:

CPSD40-2F19Jan92-1.png

CPSD40-2F19Jan92-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking work, Fred and Bob, but that still has to be one of the oddest looking modern diesel bodies I've seen. About the only thing I recognize is the winterization hatch. :)

Very nice engine Bob.

Here is a shot of the first SD40-2F I built.
CP-9024-SD40-2F.png

This is a uniquely Canadian prototype, that's for sure! I wonder if these will ever end up on short lines or lease fleets. That will be a sad day!

Those are fantastic Bob & Fred! Those are called the Draper Tapers, right?

Yup, though technically the CN units are the real Draper Tapers, as a CN executive with the last name Draper (first name escapes me) came up with the idea. CP kinda borrowed it :)

Fred, CN apparently has deadlined & marked from sale/scraping, the SD50F's, SD60F's and C40-8M's.

Fred: Nice looking completed model! I never leave the underframes and trucks on my models unweathered, as they do not photograph at all when left black, as shown in my version. But CP wanted their model looking new, and the customer is always right! Mine wasn't powered, by the way, no need for it to be.

In case some don't know the reason for the prototype, CP had hundreds of SD40-2's and wanted a cowl unit with the same mechanicals and size, so they had GM made the -F's for them after production had stopped for the regular units. I think they were plagued with problems when first new, which is strange from an established model. I was lucky to see and photograph a few of them in trips to Canada's west coast a few years ago as they never made it to the east where I live.

When I was making my model, a friend of mine had a friend who had just received an Overland Models SD40-2F, and I asked if I could borrow it to photograph and check out, which I did. I wasn't overly impressed with the painting and detailing on this $1000.00 model, don't know if it was Overland factory or not. A bit of overspray here and there, the walkways weren't painted black, and a few other discrepancies that I forget.

Back