Cork Roadbed

Paula938

Hi Folks, first post! I just joined tonight. Does anybody know why I can't find Midwest HO cork roadbed or any cork roadbed for that matter in stock anywhere? I see where you can pre-order it but I already tried that earlier this year and it was on order for over 3 months with the seller saying it was supposed to show up in July but it never did so I just cancelled the order to get my money back. I am building my first model railroad.

I am looking at the Woodland Scenics Foam roadbed, what do you folks think about that instead of cork?

Thank you in advance,
Paula

You could use a foam underlay if that's your preference, some modellers prefer it as they claim is it reduces noise, I've found no difference myself, it's just as easy (and cheaper) to do as @747flier suggests.

Or, I used this, I believe it's available in the US. in various thicknesses

Last edited:
At work we throw away tons of foam a day, about an 1/8 think more or less, gonna use that for my yard…. Well shoot, maybe I can start a business (secretly) lol

I was just curious about the “cork shortage”…

Once it's laid down one can bevel the edges with a sharp knife or sandpaper. Back when I was looking for the commercial product shipping was a small fortune, it's like buying flex track. Sandpaper can even be used to add some super to the curves if one desires.
You could also bevel the sides with a mat-cutter (which can use a blade set at about a 45 degree angle, but they aren't cheap.

Alternatively you might try the "pizza cutting wheel" method...but use something sharp, intended for cutting fabrics, not for pizza crust:

These are also bundled with self healing mats, such this one:

...which would let you cut cork or foam into 3' sections if you sliced 'em lengthwise, as with the Midwest product.

What you'd need would be a yardstick or straightedge you could fasten down on top (needn't be too fiddly, as cork is flexible anyway, so even a wobbly cut should work), and way to slide the rotary cutter along the edge. I'll be you could do that just by holding it in your hand at the angle you want. Again, precision wouldn't be critical to get the job done, and if you've used the Midwest roadbed, you'll already know the two sides are only roughly the same too, at least where the angled cuts are concerned.

I have all ways used cork also some homemade from Homasote any ways just called Midwest they are local to me in Hobart Ind

and the girl said they've been behind for 2 years with covid of course then a short supply of cork from Portugal where it's grown
They are in process of shipping out some hugh back orders she recommended if anyone has it ordered keep the order you will get it soon

I have all ways used cork also some homemade from Homasote any ways just called Midwest they are local to me in Hobart Ind

and the girl said they've been behind for 2 years with covid of course then a short supply of cork from Portugal where it's grown
They are in process of shipping out some hugh back orders she recommended if anyone has it ordered keep the order you will get it soon
Thats very good news for everyone.

I needed another box to continue on with my mainline. I was able to find it, but at unreasonable prices. I ended up finding it at Hiawatha hobbies for normal pricing, and reasonable shipping. I see that they are now out of stock.

Cherry Creek seems to have it in stock . https://www.cchobbies.com/track/Midwest cork.htm

Also while travelling back from Toronto airport we stopped at a hobby shop in Barrie Ont and I picked up some Vallejo paints and a couple flex track, I noticed they also had cork road bed . PS I didn’t really need any flex track as my mainline is done and I still have many stretches of track from the previous layouts, but I just couldn’t resist lol.

Hi Folks, first post! I just joined tonight. Does anybody know why I can't find Midwest HO cork roadbed or any cork roadbed for that matter in stock anywhere? I see where you can pre-order it but I already tried that earlier this year and it was on order for over 3 months with the seller saying it was supposed to show up in July but it never did so I just cancelled the order to get my money back. I am building my first model railroad.

I am looking at the Woodland Scenics Foam roadbed, what do you folks think about that instead of cork?

Thank you in advance,
Paula
Paula Like some have said the foam roadbed will work I bought some years ago tried it but I was to used to the cork
Used one piece on my layout

And curious you say a good sized room in your loft So do you have bench work up yet and what about track and switches

Attachments

• DSC_0667.JPG
    DSC_0667.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0668.JPG
    DSC_0668.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0670.JPG
    DSC_0670.JPG
    502.7 KB · Views: 37

Back