Comaparison to PBL models

Phil001

PBL models makes some really nice cars in Sn3 with full underbody details.
Is there a company that offers box car kits in O scale or On3 with the same attention to detail.

Thanks

Phil

InterMountain Railway Company is one company that used to produce O-scale box car kits (and probably other car types too) in 2-rail O-scale, complete with full under-body details. I say "used to", as I don't think they produce them anymore. You can still find these kits in the second-hand market.

I bought an InterMountain O-scale box car kit 3 or 4 years ago and built it, although modifying it for 3-rail O-gauge. Late last year I scored a couple more box car kits for a steal at a local train show. They are definitely very nice, detailed kits, although I'm not too crazy about the extremely fine plastic moldings for grab irons, under-body piping and brake lines, etc. They don't hold up well to normal handling, which is pretty much a necessity and requirement for 3-rail. I either replaced some of these pieces with my own bent metal wire pieces (grab irons, etc.), or left them off altogether (under-body piping and lines, etc.).

I would imagine that anything and everything produced for On3 would be very well detailed top to bottom, as this is in the 2-rail realm and not in the 3-rail side of things. Since I've never been around it or paid much if any attention to it, I don't know who might make kits for this scale.

PBL models makes some really nice cars in Sn3 with full underbody details.
Is there a company that offers box car kits in O scale or On3 with the same attention to detail.
There was once a company called Iron Horse Models that did "museum quality" rolling stock in O-scale. Don't know what happened to them.

Back