cold storage building

Hi everyone. I been thinking about building one for my layout.
I am not handy,so scatchbuilding one is out. so I been thinking, about useing the walters Cornerstone Modulars. has anyone built one, and covered up the windows on the walls ? how does it look,with the windows covered ? or has anyone scatchbuilt a cold storage ? looking for ideals.

Thanks
Ron

I really doubt it'd be too hard as a flat or low relief building up against the wall or backdrop. It would probably be plain beige or tan concrete walls with some loading doors cut in. I don't think such a facility would bother with putting in windows for anything other than maybe the office and entrance area. What I would really like is for some enterprising soul to makeweather bellows for loding docks on a modern building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normal cold storage buildings have little to no windows. All it "needs" is a loading dock, or loading doors. What era are you modeling?

I agree, I'd scratch build one using sheet styrene, a few loading doors and some beige paint from an aribrush / aerosol. The whole project could take only a few hours to complete!

I was a little disapointed with the walthers kit, granted the details are nice but I realised how easy it would be to scratchbuild one. Also, mine arrived with warped walls which is a major pain in the behind!

have you thought of using GReat West Models building kits instead of just sheet styrene? What I had planned on using myself

I can't remember what the make of this building was but it started off as a cold storage facility.
It's from the old layout and has been cut apart and reassembled a couple times now. This is it's latest shape to fit an inside curve leading into staging.
(not finished yet)
It could easily be fabricated from sheet styrene and a couple doors.

That looks good, Rico! Virtually all of the cold storage bldgs that I've seen have no windows aside from the office area and have precast concrete walls - pretty easy with sheet styrene or even plaster castings. Maybe try foamcore board? You can buy truck / loading doors from Rix Products, I think.

I've not tried plaster castings of my own but it's on my experiment list.

There are some illustration boards available through art supply shops that have a texture similar to concrete or stucco. Might be a better place to start than styrene.

Although I usually use styrene for scratchbuilding, the foamcore type illustration board that Joe talks about would be ideal for a sturcture like a cold storage building. The texture is just about right for the rough concrete forms. I think Walthers had, or may still have, the door bellows available as separate parts.

I think the MR people put a low-relief cold-storage building on the Wisconsin & Southern project layout. Not sure what exactly they used, but I think it was some modular kit.
I'm sure you can find something about it online, it's called Troy Cold Storage.

Back