Coffee Shoppe XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful view, right on the water :D

Chris- Im the oldest, but only by 2 1/2 years. Night and day difference. The only similarity we have as that we are both tall and skinny. Im dark, shes pasty, i love the outdoors, sports and friends, she likes books and enjoys school. Im a prep and one of the more popular guys, she came to me a few weeks ago and asked how i got popular. She gets great grades (6th grade though ;)) i get average-above average grades (AP classes, AP classes :D) Coaches recruit me and ask me if ill be playing for them this year, teachers ask her if shell join their book club. Same here, i can spend the night in the woods with a few basic tools no problem, she wont spend the night at our camp because of those rouge bears that are behind every tree and wait for you to take the 5 paces from the back porch to the outhouse :rolleyes:.

Jeff- Lucifer, gertrude, hellion, (drama) queen, it all depends on the moment. :D

Barry- Good to know things are moving along. Did he lose his license for awhile or anything like that? Jail time sounds like a good idea. Have fun with the bigger empire :D

Barry and Matt, Your sister's might be the mailmans kid too! Damn mailman he gets around way to much! Some one must put a stop to him:mad::mad::mad:

Morning, everybody (you too, Chris). There was a train show/swap meet in Lynchburg yesterday, hosted by the local chapter of the NRHS. It started at 9, I got there at 10:30 because the directions sucked and I got lost several times trying to follow them. There was no address given on the flyer or website, and the phone number for the place had been disconnected. So, with no address I couldn't use my GPS, and with no phone number I couldn't call to get one. But, I finally made it, and some of the bargains there made the aggravation worthwhile. I picked up a Stewart/Kato U25B with a Soundtraxx sound decoder for $35, and a Stewart VO1000, also with a Soundtraxx sound decoder and speaker car for $45, along with a bag of medium quality freight cars for $1 each.
I think I'm going to install the speaker inside the switcher, and I need to find a decorated shell for the U boat, since it is Undec and has a few pieces missing. Total damage to the dollar freight cars was a single missing coupler spring on one of the Kadee couplers (yes, they all had Kadees included for a buck each).

The "one that got away" was an Athearn RTR CF7. Hopefully the guy that had it will find me here if he didn't sell it, as he's a forum member.

If I can't find a decorated shell for the U boat (I sold off my airbrush equipment, we're not allowed to paint in our apartment, and I no longer have the steady hands to paint), I may get some dry transfer decals, and simply put "UNDEC" on the side, with a road number on the cab. Does anybody else remember Pro Custom Hobbies in Maryland, with their "UNDEC" lettered cars?
The VO1000 has an EMD sound in it rather than Baldwin, I don't think I'll change it, but I can tell the difference.

Good morning. It's 82 and mostly sunny. The high will be 99 with a heat index of 112 and there's a 30% chance of rain.

I got a new Dremel last night to replace the one that died on me after only a total of 20 minutes use. We'll see how long this one lasts. Today I'll be pulling up more track to make way for the new right of way.

P1011153.jpg

This morning we went and got a pickup load of wood. I got it stacked in the back yard. It hasnt been split yet, and it probably wont until tonight when we have a fire. I think were going to lowes for a new splitting maul and while were there im going to pick up some paint for my railroad. I decided on a paint scheme. A dark green and black with Silver and Black lettering. Hopefully ill close a deal and have a couple of undecorated locomotives coming my way and i finally found an AC4400 too. I dont think ill be building a layout, i think im going to build a static display and store it on the top shelf of my closet. Im thinking something simple like a double main alonside a river and a hill in the background. I dont know how long i should make it though, im thinking like 4ft. If i go that long though, itll probably get stored downstairs on a table. Is Masonite and blue foam good enough for a base, or should i use a piece of plywood?

Good morning everyone.

It's a beautiful day here again. That's two in a row. Of course I have to work until eight, but that's okay. I have tomorrow off, which should be decent.

I cleaned off my layout yesterday morning knowing my family was coming over for awhile. I didn't put my tree stuff too far away seeing as how I have a new box of trees coming tomorrow. I just picked up the random stuff that has been left out over the last month. I have to say, the layout looks pretty nice without all of the crap everywhere. I even pulled the tape off of the track so I could run a train. Well, that's when I realized that the spring in one of my turnouts had come loose. Rather than mess around, I cut out the turnout and dropped in a spare that I had left over. It sure was nice to run a train after a month of not doing so. Isn't it funny how just not using the layout can cause things to go wrong?

We just found out that another clothing store is moving into town this fall. The talks about what to do about it are dominating work discussions. I guess I had better get to work and continue the endless, largely fruitless discussion!;)

Have a great day everyone.

Matt- You may use the Masonite and blue foam for a 4' x 4' small layout. Use 1 x 2 or 1 x 4 as a framework for the Masonite, even if you will set it on a table.
Matt- you are having a great time with your life right now.You do have to work at times, but you have other activities like camping, 4 wheeling and family trips to make great memories.
I got to spend Sunday afternoon under the kitchen sink removing a disposal, cleaning out a clogged drain pipe and putting in new drain pipes. After removing the disposal, I made a run to Lowe's to buy the pipe and fittings needed to hook everything up again. I started putting in the new plastic pipe fittings and the new main fitting connecting both sinks and the dishwasher had a hole in the end of the pipe. (Poor quality control)
I put in the sink strainer and cleaned out the old trap while my wife ran back to Lowe's to get another fitting.It was a typical "Floyd project", 3-1/2 hours to finish normally 30 minute project.
Do you want to guess how many places on my body hurt today after laying on the floor and the lip of the cabinet? Me, neither!:eek:

This will be our 42nd straight day of 90 degree or higher heat. But, Jeffery, Jim and Rex already know that.
Y'all have a nice comfortable day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 83 and mostly cloudy. The high will be 99 with a heat index of 112. There's a 40% chance of rain.

The tear down on the layout has gone on. The entire passing siding has been ripped up as has the front half of the inside loop. Great care was taken to get turnouts up without damaging them as they are quite expensive. Later I'll pull up the rest of the inside loop and the inside spur. This includes 3 more turnouts for a total of 9 that will be pulled up (5 #5's and 4 #4's. Funny how that worked out like that). After that it's just a matter of time for the new track to come in. After the new stuff is put down I can throw the old track into a bucket of water to get the glue and ballast off it then put it away in case it's needed again. Some of the track didn't come up easily and had to be sacrificed. That's one of the dangers of embedding the track in plaster. Sometimes the plaster gets a death grip on it. But it does make the EZ-Track look much more realistic once it's in place. I have a 30 degree crossing I was thinking about using (it's been in the spare track box for many years) but it takes up too much space in the plan, so back in the track box it goes.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011239.jpg

First day of doubles are over. Im feeling great now, ask me when i post tonight if im feeling the same way :rolleyes:. It was an interesting practice. Besides snow later in the season, this was one of the worst storms id ever played in. The rain was deafening on my helmet, hard to catch anything or even see the ball, impossible to hear coach. Of course with 10 minutes left in practice it stopped. Playing in the rain is fun though, keeps things easy.

Tore out 2 feet of drywall right where the back splash and the area between the upper and lower cabinets will be. I never really cared the way the wiring was set up before so now it will be done to our liking with the GFCI outlets by the sink and more outlets all around the back splash. The Pergo flooring has arrived and I need to pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday with the cabinets coming tomorrow afternoon it will be a busy few days indeed. The circuit I thought controlled the Micro wave and stove turned out to be a different circuit so that is the reason I was getting shocked every time I worked on that part of the wiring. To the attic tomorrow before the cabinets get here to try and figger out this mess I have made of the wiring. It worked goot until today when I started to FIX it. LOL LOL LOL

Good morning. It's 77 and mostly cloudy. The high will be 97 with a heat index of 107. There's a 50% chance of rain.

All that's left of the original track (in place that is) is the south 180 degree curve on the left lobe of the layout, the long straightaway along the west wall, the long straight along the north wall (in front of the AC unit) and the short straight along the east wall to the new 180 degree curve on the right lobe of the layout. All the new curves are in place. I'm just waiting on the new straight pieces to come in. Now that the destruction is finished it's time to get started on the cleanup. I removed enough plaster pieces last night to fill two Wal-Mart bags and there's still more to be collected. After the bigger pieces (anything larger than a small marble) are collected I'll go over the layout with the Shop-Vac. I knew there was some reason I got that 12 foot hose for it. The rolling stock still on the layout also needs a good vacuuming as it's all got a thick layer of gypsum dust on it. I have a set of microvac brushes that are just perfect for getting into little nooks and crannies.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011266.jpg

Good morning folks.

I have the day off with not a whole lot planned.:D We're having company tonight, but we're also having stuffed green peppers with spicy Italian sausage. That balances out quite nicely.

I received my new box of super trees this morning. The UPS driver was nice and early so I've already boiled a batch. Waiting for this resupply has been like waiting for Christmas morning. I don't know why. I think it's because after cleaning the layout it's finally starting to look like something. It just needs more TREES!

Jeffrey, it seems like you're moving right along with redoing your layout. It must be kind of fun changing like you are. I know you're losing real estate, but at least you can reach what you have. Have fun!

I think I'll continue with the tree making process. I have some that need to be flocked and planted.

Have a great day everyone.

Man football is a thin line. It can be the greatest sport in the world or it can kick the crap out of you. Ive been lucky, some of the other players arent doing so well. 40 seconds to run 150yds? Come on, im doing it in 21-23s and thats not even close to the best time. The soreness is starting to set in, but thats a good thing, youve gotta break down before you can get rebuilt back up. Weve been doing pretty well both offensively and defensivley. Our 1st string wasnt doing things real well, and my string (2nd) was impressing coach really well. Im usually a horrible reciever, i missed 3 passes all day and thats because the QB threw alittle wide and i just couldnt get to it in time. We were both to blame. I found a group of kids i work really well with. I have almost 0 competition for my offense position, only one other player so im pretty much garunteed 2nd string, but theres alot of competition for my defense position. I can probably get 2nd string at least, if not 1st. I know there are no garuntees, but things are looking in my favor. My biggest mistake all day was running a route wrong. It was a new play though and coach didnt care, i did it fine the next time around. I think i sold my N scale stuff, and after i cash my check ive got about $120 going in the bank, theres one pair of shoes :rolleyes:

Good morning. It's cloudy and 79 here, may get up to 85, with rain later. With any luck, it won't flood out the shop like it did over the weekend. The shop is on top of a hill, but still floods when it rains...

Good morning. It's 77 and mostly cloudy. The high will be 92 and there's a 70% chance of thunderstorms. Heavy rain is expected.

I got some of the layout cleaned up yesterday. It's amazing how many little pieces plaster can break up into. The new straight track pieces came in late yesterday afternoon so I was busy for a couple of hours painting rails with the trusty paint brush. Today I'll be busy painting the rails on the curves. There's still a left hand turnout in the mail so I'm expecting that to come in sometime this week. I have to get the old track pieces into a bucket of water so I can get the glue and ballast off them. First though I have to find a bucket. My parents usually have tons of them laying around so here's hoping they haven't decided to throw them out.

P1011271.jpg

Good news! The steering column I need for my van has been found! It will be pulled and shipped today, so I should have it by Tuesday at the latest. If UPS is on their toes it may be here by Friday.

Jeff- Good to hear your van project is moving along, how much more work do you figure you need to put into it before you turn it into the daily driver?

It really amazes me how someone a few hundred miles away can screw me over. I purchased some stuff on HOYARDSALE and then almost immediately saw a post looking for the exact same thing. Of course i responded, i was thinking, wow talk about a quick turn around sale. The guy offered me exactly what i paid, but i told him ill let him know what id want for them and if they are for sale when i recieved them. I wanted to make sure theyd fit on my track. Anyways, we exchange a few emails and then i email the seller, making sure they shipped. He tells me, no they havent, someone contacted him and told him id sold them to him and to send them directly to my buyer. Thankfully the seller had the sense to wait until i contacted him. No, i dont want the items id payed you for shipped across the country because i told someone i may have a set for sale and to please be patient until i recieved them. I can be patient, my life is pretty busy right now, but the other guy only screwed both of us. I wont see them until later, which means its even later until he even gets a change at them. After this, i dont plan of contacting my buyer at all. If they dont run, im working a deal with one of my friends on here, i feel really bad to hold him out so long. Thankfully, i can take this one as a lesson. I love buying and selling, ill buy and sell almost anything, and i usually even make money :D . You should see me at garage sales, ive bought old tins lots for $5 to turn around and sell individually for a total of 13x that, good money if you ask me, but theres always the chance ill lose money. On other news in matts wallet, his N scale deal fell through, gotta find a new buyer :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff- Good to hear your van project is moving along, how much more work do you figure you need to put into it before you turn it into the daily driver?
Install the column, replace the headlights, put in a toggle switch and relay for the running lights, connect the main fuel line and fuel return line. That'll have it drivable. There won't be any heat or AC but I'm used to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back