Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

Well, my list of silliness includes an iPad and Amplitube 3.7....
If the iPad comes with IOS5 on it, get used to using that before letting it update to the IOS6. Trust me on this, the learning curve becomes almost vertical if you let it update before you are used to how it works.

Good morning. It's 33° with 95% humidity. It'll be cloudy today with a high of 45°.
condmc-1.jpg

No plans for today except to stay inside as much as possible. There's a northwest wind blowing and it's coming right off the lake so 33 feels more like 23.

Speaking of wind, it got pretty savage last night but the power didn't go out at least. The cable did though. They just got it back in service a little while ago. I hope we've seen the last of that kind of weather for a while.

I've already eaten a small part of one of my Christmas presents this morning and I really enjoyed it. The present is a bag of those little Kit-Kat bars. Also got a bag of Snickers bars, a bag of Reese's Trees and a bag of Milky Way bars. I also got three boxes of cookies. Sugar, peanut butter and snickerdoodle.

Later I'll be going outside to see what damage the wind did. There were several large branches thrown against my trailer. Hopefully the worst of the damage will be just a small dent.

P1010047-1.jpg

That's all I was hoping for...........just a small dent. Coming home from my daughter's house a coyote tried to run across the road. Unfortunately, I was there to stop him dead in his tracks. Literally. He may have got the last laugh though. A coyote can do a pretty fair amount of damage to the plastic around the bumper when you get a solid hit.:mad:

Good morning, 47 now, high of 52 and off and on rain here today in north bay area............ I'll take that over 32 degrees

I guess we're gonna be the "caboose" on this storm. We live right on Lake Ontario, and are expecting a lot of lake effect on the backside of this system. Jeff..glad to see your trailer is still standing. Quiet Xmas here Stay warm....

sp2562ani.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe1.gif

I guess we're gonna be the "caboose" on this storm. We live right on Lake Ontario, and are expecting a lot of lake effect on the backside of this system.
I hope that system treats you a lot better than it us. It made a mess down here!

Been running some trains today and not doing much else. The GP7's and GP35, The F unit trio and the GP9 trio all got run. The F unit slug was run with each set.

Inspected the outside of my trailer and took photos of any damage and the storm debris. A 10 - 12 foot tree top was the biggest bit. Luckily it didn't make a direct hit. I came off better than my sister did. She had a 60+ foot tall Liquidambar styraciflua tree (also known as sweetgum) in her yard. Now it's 33 feet tall. The top half got snapped off and took out her porch and porch swing. Fortunately none of her dogs who use the porch as a lounging area were hurt. They were all in the house at the time.

Time to call it a night. see y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2779.jpg

Typical Nor'easter, 53 mph winds, 2.15" of rain so far and more to come before this is over.

Did get a lot of work done on the layout today, with my son's help. We were able to install and wire a Atlas turntable on the new extension, and added a full ounce of weight to a Bachmann GE 44 Ton switcher. I need to get get my camera working so I can upload some "progress" photos.

Spent Christmas Eve & Christmas Day at my daughter's house in Calera, Al. Grandson had a real ball. He's 3, and this was the first year he really understood Santa Claus! Christmas morning, he was so excited, he was beside himself x4! What a joy it was to see him!

The weather kept threatening, but nothing really happened except for the rain, 2.5". While we didn't have any severe here, the rest of the family didn't fair well. My niece's house in Mobile was damaged by the tornado that struck there. She needs several new windows, and new shingles, as about 2/3's of her shingles are gone. A tree hit the side of her house where her new baby's room is. It dumped a ton of glass into her baby bed, but fortunately they were at my Brother's house when it hit.

My brother, (niece's dad) is without power, but he received no damage. Meanwhile his ex-wife (niece's mother), house there was next to the high school badly damaged by it and she lost her entire roof. Only thing left was two rafters. Hope she has good insurance!

The Weather Channels Jim Cantore was in my ex-SIL's neighborhood next to the high school, interviewing the storm survey team from the NWS. They said that although the damage seen would generally be considered in the neighborhood of EF-1 damage, because the roofs and buildings at the school were reinforced to withstand hurricanes, they may have to up it to a strong EF-2 rating.

The Weather Channels Jim Cantore was in my ex-SIL's neighborhood next to the high school, interviewing the storm survey team from the NWS. They said that although the damage seen would generally be considered in the neighborhood of EF-1 damage, because the roofs and buildings at the school were reinforced to withstand hurricanes, they may have to up it to a strong EF-2 rating.
I hear that. An EF1 can destroy your average RV quite well but an EF2 can do an efficient job of relocating your mobile home or ripping your house to shreds. We had an EF2 hit here some years ago and what it did to a mobile home community was unbelievable. While there were some minor injuries there were no fatalities. Out of twenty three mobile homes only two survived in serviceable condition. A two story 5,000 square foot house was picked up, rotated 180 degrees and set down intact while next to it another house was completely obliterated. I shudder to think of what an EF3 or EF4 could have done.

Good morning. It's 30° with 100% humidity. It'll be partly cloudy with a high of 55°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

No plans for today other than running some trains. I might bring out the Atlas H24-66 and Atlas U30C for a run.

P1010037-1.jpg

"O the weather outside is frightful..."

Wow, Snow:eek:, wind,:eek: blizzards,:eek: tornadoes :eek:, cold,:eek: and ice!

What's next, locusts? :rolleyes:

I'm staying inside today, playing with trains! :D

Everybody stay warm & safe!

Morning all. Looks like we have 10" - 12" and still snowing here. Had a lot of wind last night, so have a few drifts to go with it. Typical NY stuff LOL. You have probably seen us in the news the last few days. We live about 6 miles from where the firefighters got shot Xmas Eve morning. Pretty sad state of affairs. I have friends that live a couple of blocks away from there also. Anyways, have fun today. :)

sp2562ani.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe1.gif

Good Afternoon:

It's quiet and peaceful here right now. Wife, son and significant other, and other son all went to the mall. I'm here with son's dog, and our cat - who are kept in separate areas of the house to insure tranquility.

Temp is 38F and dropping. Still rather windy. We totaled 4" of rain, since yesterday afternoon. That's more rain than we got from Sandy.

Since I added an ounce of weight to my Bachman 44 - tonner, it now handles more cars than the prototype. Next project, bring a proto GP9 back from the storage shelf. Have new axle/gear sets, decoder and patch decals. If this works I have 5 more to revive.

Have a pleasant day!

Joe

Afternoon everybody, Maybe high of 53 but mostly sunny, but no rain............Woohoo. I have no railroad set up to "play" with.

Back