Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

Bill, I enjoy the pictures you post everyday. I was wondering if it would be possible for you to post a little info such as date, location or railroad if known. Thanks.

My mechanic eventually found the source of severe vibration and banging in the rear of my '97 toyota truck. The right rear drum brake occasionally would hang up and release rapidly while slowing down from about 60mph. He said it was caused by a dislodged part of some kind. At 145,000 miles we also at this time replaced front shocks, front brake pads/rotors, removed and inspected the two section drive shaft and replaced its carrier bearing.......balanced all four tires, adjusted/lubed parking brake.

Now that it's sorted out and rides real smooth......it's easy to discern the slight shudder indicating the original clutch will soon need replacing. This is starting to eat into my train budget. :(

Mike

Now that it's sorted out and rides real smooth......it's easy to discern the slight shudder indicating the original clutch will soon need replacing. This is starting to eat into my train budget. :(
Yep. That's the thing about having an old vehicle and believe me, I know. There are many nickel and dime things that seemingly keep popping up. Replace this, fix that.

Yep. That's the thing about having an old vehicle and believe me, I know. There are many nickel and dime things that seemingly keep popping up. Replace this, fix that.

It happens with the new ones, too. Plus, you have a truck payment along with the non-covered-by-warranty repairs.

Good morning. It's 29°F (-2°C) with 100% humidity. It'll be mostly sunny with a high of 65°F (18°C).
cond026.gif

Cold here this morning. At least the wind is out of the south, so it's not coming off the lake. Where I am, the lake is to the north and west. On a day like today a wind coming from either of those directions would make you think you have icicles on your nose and ears. You can bet I won't be going outside anytime soon.

Later today I may get the chance to take a better look under the hood of my van and find out what's clicking in there when I hook the battery up. With the key turned off there shouldn't be power going to anything. So this could be a fault of whatever is making that click or it could be a fault of the ignition switch. I'll at least have to look for it otherwise I'm going to be obsessed with it to the point of rudeness. It's quite easy (and common) for me to do that. People who know me either accept it or make allowances for it. It is however the driving force in my model railroad projects. It's not so much something I want to do as it is something I have to do. I get started on rebuilding a loco and it's like I become obsessed with it almost to the point of all else. Oh well. It is what it is and things are what they are. The world moves on.

P1011944.jpg

Jeffrey
Sounds like its time to put a meter between the battery and the positive cable, note the draw and start popping fuses out til the draw vanishes. At least then you will know what circuit it is!
Best thing about an older car and troubles like this, you see the result immediately. New car you have to wait 20 minutes between fuse pulls to see if the body computer will go to "sleep" or not!

Best thing about an older car and troubles like this, you see the result immediately. New car you have to wait 20 minutes between fuse pulls to see if the body computer will go to "sleep" or not!
For sure! No freakin' computer to mess with! My last car, a 94 Century, man! You almost had to be a dang rocket scientist to work on that thing. Sensors for everything! I wouldn't be surprised if it knew to the quarter of a degree the temperature of my butt in the seat!

good morning its 54* brrrrrrrr the girlfriend bundled up in a long sleeve tshirt & long pants & socks !!! well im waiting on my u-50 to show up in the mail most likly today :) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Been out working on the van. I found the power drain. It's the wiper motor causing it. As I see it there are two options. #1 I can replace it which means getting together the money for it. #2 I can locate the hot wire going to it and wire in a switch that I can turn on/off. My wallet is screaming for the second option.

Less than six months. It's a re-manufactured one so any warranty it had is long gone. Finding new parts for a 32 year old vehicle at sensible prices is like hunting for hens teeth. Those that have them want a fortune for them. Re-manufactured parts are much cheaper but it's a crap shoot.

Looks like the cause of my vans battery running down is the windshield wiper motor. The auto return on it is locked on full time. Right now the plug has been pulled on it. Next time I go to town I'll see about turning it in for a replacement. I'm not sure about Advance Auto Parts warranty on re-manufactured parts. If that doesn't work out I'll see what I can do about putting a toggle switch on the plugs hot wire.

After working on 'The Beast' I was feeling a bit dizzy so decided I better lay down for a bit. I promptly passed out and had a nice couple of hours nap time. I had a high starch meal afterward to get my blood sugar level back up.

Had dinner with my father again. Pizza and pinto beans with onions and jalapeno peppers. An explosive combination I'm sure.

P1011947.jpg

Morniin'

Do we have that extra strong boot coffee in an IV bag? I'll have a couple of those thanks....needle directly into the arm thanks.....

Had late night but did not go to sleep until about 4:30am...now I am kind of up..........uuugh...

So, today? Got more stuff to do...run to the hospital and see how friend's wife is doing...then get some more survival foods and such....but....it is to Wally World to do this....oh goody.:eek::eek:

Good Morning:

It's 34F and Sunny this morning in Howell, NJ. (Normally, It's Always Cloudy in Howell).

2 Days until Christmas............they are already running After Christmas Sale ads.

Have a great Day!

Good morning. It's 56° with 92% humidity and patches of light rain are falling. The high will be 70° with rain this morning and afternoon.
condmc-1.jpg
cond40.jpg

I have no idea what I'll be doing today. Maybe the best thing will be to wait and see what develops. I woke up last night shaking all over and quickly realized I was heading for a sugar crash. A quick snack took care of that in short order. This morning I'm just, well, tired. Maybe I'll just head back to bed.

DSCN2759.jpg

Back