Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Good Morning,

Say Flo & Francine, how are you ladies doing this cold wet morning? I'd like some coffee and a couple of eggs and some toast if you would.

The weather in Central Calif is about 51.8°F with light rain. Wunder Weather says it suppose to get up to 59°F but I doubt that.

I been having a problem with my Hydralic clutch leaking fluid and I think it's going to be a bear to fix? Probably better to get a rebuilt one and replace it. It's just not the easiest to get to. I may have a mechanic friend do if for me and pay him, he get a discount on the part anyway.

Not much to report as far as more work done on my layout but do need to get going and build the switches I need and get them in position and get more track laid to extend the line. There just always seems to be something that gets in the way.

Say Jeffrey,
I hope your Mom is doing better.

My newest rebuild. HO Scale of course. A 70's era Mantua SP F7 shell on a rebuilt Athearn blue box frame with the blue box spline shaft drive and a pair of rebuilt Stewart AAR trucks. Why AAR? They were there and I felt like it. The gear tower of the front truck was cracked and had to be glued back together with JB Weld. I spent part of yesterday installing a LED headlight.
DSCN2696.jpg

Good lookin' trucks Jeff, same sideframes as the ones used on the NZR "K" class steamer. (that's why I like 'em)

Without the improvements, they wouldn't need the tech support guys to fix it. They're just doing their part to stimulate the global economy.

Reminds me of a UK sitcom of the 70's (I think) where the hero was an unemployed bit of a layabout. Got sent to a job that involved sorting files (physical ones) to be sent to branches in the north and south of England. Was another fellow also doing the same. Our hero soon noticed this other bloke was just tossing them willy-nilly into either pile. So he queried him about it. With a sarcastic glance and tone the reply was. "Job creation"

I must have accessed photobucket while they were doing their "upgrade?", 'cause it's online now, (You lot would have all been asleep then) but I don't have time to figure out what they've done at the moment so have gone back to the "old" version to do my up and downloads. So here are the aforementioned pics (cross fingers)

BNSFlocosattheclub17-11-12016.png

BNSFlocosattheclub17-11-12017.png

BNSFlocosattheclub17-11-12038.png

BNSFlocosattheclub17-11-12023.png

BNSF SD70ACe's 9399, 9388, NRE Genset 1255 and CSX Genset 1300.

Good lookin' trucks Jeff, same sideframes as the ones used on the NZR "K" class steamer. (that's why I like 'em)
These particular trucks came off a Stewart AS16. One of the trucks was damaged so I changed them out with a pair of AAR trucks from a Proto FA1. A few days ago I fixed the damaged AS16 truck and fitted the pair to an Athearn F7 frame. And that's how they came to be on that particular loco.

Well I made a big dent in the cleanup today. I can actually see most of the layout now. Hopefully tomorrow I can get more of the clutter cleared away.

It's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010062-1.jpg

Yesterday (Sunday) we had more thunderin'in and lightenin'in but a cooler day, Saturday it was 37C (98.6F). Today the sun came out again with a hot northerly and where I live had 35C (95F) and steamy. A nice southerly change has come through this evening with a good breeze. Much better.
weatherman told us there were more than 19000 lightening strikes in the south eastern region over the weekend, seems like we had 18999 of 'em here.

Got some work done on the 4 pairs of F89F longrunner flat cars I got as twin packs(thinking they were 2 the same) cause they were a $1 cheaper per pair than the singles and because of my long range higorance, didn't know that they are tied together with a drawbar.
So a change to KD's was the solution 'cause there's no way I could see a practical way to transport them as units to the club. They're Genesis models so lots of potential loose bits to check out and glue.

The upshot of that error was that I later bought a good number of trailers to mount on them (and all the other flat cars I seem to have aquired), mostly Trucks n Stuff tractor and 53' trailer units, a couple of Athearn 45's and some Accurail 45' kits that M.b.Klein had on sale. The Trucks n Stuff ones say they're not meant to come of the tractor unit but they pull off towards the rear without and drama, only thing you've got to do to put them on the flat cars is remove the "head" off of the hitch pin and open up the hole in the flat car hitch with a 1/16th drill or as I used a small tapered round file. Perfect. Even put them back on the tractor unit if desired.

So, soon I'll have a trailer train to run.

My Caterpillar train is somewhat in limbo at the moment, have got 13 of the MTH 60' HTTX cars and waiting the arrival of 4 more. Have tried to get some more (would like 25 all up) but have had poor or nill response from dealers who are supposed to still have them in stock, (even inquired in Canada). I dealer did reply that he didn't post to Aus, some of these people need to wake up to the 21st century and the global market.

That's going to be quite an exercise 'cause unlike the trailers I really need to weather them all before mounting the Cats on them and chaining them down. Don't want overspray etc on the Cats as they are supposed to still be new.

Good Morning

We are having peasoup freezing fog this morning...temperature about 28F-33F ...depending on where one is...:rolleyes:

Going to go to the office today to see about some reports that need revising..then off to the doctors to see bout the new sessions results...such as that is:eek:

Anyways...have a good day!!!:)

Good morning. It's 62° with 54% humidity. It'll be partly cloudy with a high of 72°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

My mother is awake and is responsive. She wants to be home for Thanksgiving but we'll have to see what the doc says about that. I know what it's like to be in the hospital at Thanksgiving as it's happened to me. No nurse in her right mind would go in that room as I wasn't a happy camper.

My father and I had breakfast at the Waffle House in New Llano this morning. Eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, toast, biscuits and gravy. Nobody can accuse us of being light eaters.

Went to Wal-Mart and the pharmacy afterward then back home.

I hope to get more cleanup work done on the layout. I can actually see most of the layout now. I plan to go to town this afternoon and get my flu shot.

P1010054.jpg

A nice southerly change has come through this evening with a good breeze. Much better.

So, soon I'll have a trailer train to run.
Toot, I guess you had some crazy lightning down there! Hope you show us a photo of your trailer train when it's done.

Mike

Jeffrey, I hope your mother is better for thanksgiving. Good to hear she is awake again. Hope all goes well.

Mike

Toot, I guess you had some crazy lightning down there! Hope you show us a photo of your trailer train when it's done.

Mike

Yeah, will do. Was gonna take some last night of the teensyweenyitsybitsy screws that hold the covers on over the couplers (3 per), just about needed jewellers magnifiers to see them, but needed new batteries in the camera.

weather footnote: the farming areas to the west of us had tennis ball sized hail that was bouncing 5-6ft in the air after striking the ground and wiped out wheat crops that were ready to harvest and others just starting to grow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather in this area is 66 and partly cloudy. Looking like 45 tonight.

Went to the local health clinic to get my flu shot this afternoon. Nothing to it. I was in and out in ten minutes. Stopped by Lowes to pick up some glue. I got old faithful, the Loctite Super Glue Gel Control. I decided to try a couple of other Loctite Super Glues. I got the Ultra Gel Control and the Ultra Liquid Control. I'll try them at some point in the future and see if they're worth the extra money I paid for them. I also picked up a couple more mistint paint samples. One is a beige color and the other is, well I couldn't come any closer to baby puke green if I had tried. I just had to have it!

Good morning. It's 62° with 54% humidity. It'll be partly cloudy with a high of 72°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

My mother is awake and is responsive. She wants to be home for Thanksgiving but we'll have to see what the doc says about that. I know what it's like to be in the hospital at Thanksgiving as it's happened to me. No nurse in her right mind would go in that room as I wasn't a happy camper.

My father and I had breakfast at the Waffle House in New Llano this morning. Eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, toast, biscuits and gravy. Nobody can accuse us of being light eaters.

Went to Wal-Mart and the pharmacy afterward then back home.

I hope to get more cleanup work done on the layout. I can actually see most of the layout now. I plan to go to town this afternoon and get my flu shot.

P1010054.jpg

Say Jeffrey,
Very glad to hear your Mom is doing better, it makes things a lot less stressful.

All I can say about your choice of eating places is, 'What, you didn't stop by Flo's place to say hello to her and Francine. LoL

That rather an interesting night shot of the little farm house.

Hope your Mom continues doing better as well as you too!

Seeing I've been talking about these Trucks n Stuff trailers in this thread I'll post up this bit of a DIY here. As I mentioned the hitch pivot pins have an end like a flathead nail which needs to be removed to sit them onto the flat car hitches. I got carried away modifying an end cutter to take them off and forgot to take any pics of the pins as they were originally, so you'll have to make do with one of them after being cut off
modifyingTrucksnStuff53fttrailers001.png

This is how I modified the end cutter so as to get the cut as close to the pin head as possible, probably not absolutely necessary, but I like to leave as much shaft on it as possible
modifyingTrucksnStuff53fttrailers002.png

modifyingTrucksnStuff53fttrailers004.png

After having clipped them all off (you could use a cutoff disc on a Dremel tool but beware of melting the plastic the pin is pushed in to), I used a #932 grinding stone
modifyingTrucksnStuff53fttrailers006.png

modifyingTrucksnStuff53fttrailers005.png

which has a conical recess in the end. Carefully rotate it lightly around the end of the pin (use as close to the outer edge of the cone not in the centre as it will wobble the grinder) to remove any burr and create a "lead" to locate into the trailer hitch.
modifyingTrucksnStuff53fttrailers008.png

Back