Code 100?

SD90

I'm still in the planing stage, but getting close to pulling the trigger on track and switches. What are your thoughts of going with Peco code 100 switches and Atlas code 100 flex track? I figure I'll need 3 cases of 100 pieces of track and at least 60-70 switches, if I go with the above combination, I'll save $1000, which could be put towards other things.
I was going with Peco code 83 and atlas track, but joining the 2 is a bit of a PIA, I don't really want to use Atlas switches, because of having to mount a ground throw or use a switch machine.
Once code 100 is ballasted and painted, the difference is slight, as far as I can see, and if I can save a grand, why not?
I want to get the bench work up, lay the roadbed and track and get some trains running!

I am in agreement and I use Atlas switches as well. Figure that I have saved well over $3500 in total using all Atlas and all code 100. Yeah, sometimes I have to tune up the switches, perhaps 15% of them. My LHS was a discounter and I paid $3.10 per piece of code 100 flex track when I bought it by the case. Unfortunately he retired, but I purchased lots of supplies while he was still in business. After painting and ballasting, it's [FONT=&amp]really hard, no [/FONT]impossible for me to tell the .017" difference, especially from 3' away.

Willie

Yes, Code 100 track can look great after ballasting and weathering.

However, if you decide to use Atlas turnouts, avoid the Atlas Snap turnouts. These turnouts are intended for use with sectional track and their quality is questionable. I would use Code 100 Atlas Mark IV turnouts for increase dependability and better operation.

Check with local hobby shops or those in your area on pricing for Code 83. If you buy in bulk, you may find that Code 83 maybe fall within your budget.

Thanks.

Greg

Code 100 became the standard way back when because HO most wheels back then were "pizza cutters". But now most wheels sold are RP25 so there are no problems using code 83 or smaller. There are plenty of places on the internet that sell below MSRP if you can't find them at your LHS. Also Atlas & Peco aren't the only switch makers. Have a look at Micro Engineering & Walthers/Shinohara. And if you'd like to make your own there's Central Valley & Fast Tracks.

I would avoid using Atlas at all, personal preference of course, and would stick with Peco track and turnouts regardless of the code you choose. One thing to keep in mind when selecting the make of flex track: Atlas flex only offers ONE rail that slides, as such, you have to lay the stuff in accordance with sliding rail; Peco flex allows both rails to slide making it far more "flexible". I can't speak for other makers of flex track.

The cost saving could be good as the following prices indicate (M.B. Klein):

Atlas Code 100 (25 pieces) flex - $84.99
Peco Code 100 (25 pieces) flex - $124.99

Atlas Code 83 (25 pieces) flex - $104.99
Peco Code 83 (25 pieces) flex - $134.99

Shinohara Code 100 (10 pieces) flex - $67.19

As I mentioned, if it were me, I'd pay the extra for the Peco track with Peco turnouts.

Personally, I would choose code 83 regardless of brand. It looks more realistic IMO. As for track, I have had no problem using Peco switches with Atlas flex track. It is not hard to shim the track heights so they mate up well. The sprung Peco turnouts are quite nice if you don't use switch machines on your turnouts.

Atlas Code 100 (25 pieces) flex - $84.99
Atlas Code 83 (25 pieces) flex - $104.99
I've never understood why code 83 is more costly. It uses less plastic and less metal. The "new" tooling (30 years ago) for it has to be more than paid for by now.

The only thing I don't like about Peco HO scale code 100 turnouts is their European geometry (the curved departure track). Actually I don't mind it all that much in general. It is when I take a photo with one in it and then it sticks out like a sore thumb.

99% of all people who look at your layout will never notice the code 100. Most of the general population has no idea there are different rail sizes. I would not have any issues using code 100 track on a layout. In fact, now that I think of it, I use it on the modular units because it is more durable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never understood why code 83 is more costly. It uses less plastic and less metal. The "new" tooling (30 years ago) for it has to be more than paid for by now.

Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand. Or, put into English ... the more a company can charge (justified or otherwise) the more they will charge :(

For US layouts, just be careful you don't get the Peco Set Track OO 1:76 scale turnouts because they are built to the UK standard of having curved diverging tracks throughout it's length, so they can match up with the corresponding curves of the Set Track curved pieces. They are built so the straight and curved parts are the same lengths as the standard fixed straight or radiused pieces. HO trains will run on this because the track gage (5/8"-16.5mm) and track profile are the same (code 100 is code 100 on either). I believe also that the ties on the OO tracks are spaced further apart.

What you must have is Peco Streamline trackage as it more closely resembles US prototype and the turnouts, while having curved track and points (closure rails) within the turnout, straighten out on the diverging track to a more US style appearance, and as I said, have closer tie spacing. I have noticed, depending on the particular US railroad's practice, the Peco's are visually a good match. All seem to use the straight diverging track as it leaves the turnout, but some resemble the Peco's curved closure rails, whereas others continue that straight line almost right up to the stock rails, with only a slight kink where the points actually touch to change the train's direction. Quite a violent change in direction, demanding slow speeds.

As far as the price differences between codes, like you and Tony, I've previously thought it was 'crook' to use an Aussie term, but supply and demand is probably the reason. Code 83 is certainly more popular in the US, but C100 is still pretty much the most used elsewhere in the world I would venture (certainly here). A lot of modellers are using it more, but it's still in the 'not so' bracket. C70 even less. So, demand affects price, make a lot of something brings unit pricing down, make less raises it.

I think I'll use code 83 everywhere visible, and go with code 100 in the staging yard and the helix, ( won't really be a helix, more of a big 1 loop climb to the next level ) but it will be unfinished. Instead of using 300 pieces of code 83, I should be able to use 150 code 83, and 150 code 100, ($150 savings) also 20 code 100 switches in the staging yard will save another $200.

I think I'll use code 83 everywhere visible, and go with code 100 in the staging yard and the helix, ( won't really be a helix, more of a big 1 loop climb to the next level ) but it will be unfinished. Instead of using 300 pieces of code 83, I should be able to use 150 code 83, and 150 code 100, ($150 savings) also 20 code 100 switches in the staging yard will save another $200.
that is always a good strategy. It is used by my former club and the museum. All the staging areas were code 100, just for cost cutting reasons.

Back