Coast Daylight Gallery

Well umm No, its MTH. On the other hand that car triplex is really what makes the train, "the train" and not a bunch of SP coaches strung together. So how about the BLI version? I just bought a post-war set (my first SP daylight cars) for under $100. I'm going with the other set though, pulled by the 4452 though. I'll probably break down and buy a pre-war set too. Move the 4452 to that and then scare up some Alco PAs to run on these.

I think I will get the MTH, because the rest of the train is MTH and has served me well. I've never had any problems with MTH. Also, because the rest is MTH, I think I will get it so the colors match.

Best regards,
Jim

Well umm No, its MTH. On the other hand that car triplex is really what makes the train, "the train" and not a bunch of SP coaches strung together. So how about the BLI version? I just bought a post-war set (my first SP daylight cars) for under $100. I'm going with the other set though, pulled by the 4452 though. I'll probably break down and buy a pre-war set too. Move the 4452 to that and then scare up some Alco PAs to run on these.

Well even the Daylight coaches were pretty distinctive, as they were almost all articulated cars :) This was an all chair car train after all. You could get seats in the parlor car or the parlor obs for a little extra $, but they were just fancy chair cars. Other than that you had a tavern, the triple articulated diner, and the coach baggage with a news agent compartment.

As to the MTH cars, though I am no huge fan of MTH, their Daylight train is a mighty nice piece of work. Their passenger cars in general are well put together and roll very nicely. My GS-3 can pull a 16 car consist up a 2% grade with just a little Bullfrog snot on the drivers and the factory weight in the locomotive. I had BLI cars on order for over two years and got tired of waiting. I am also lucky enough to belong to a club that has broad enough curves to allow the couplers to be set for close couple where the full width diaphragms touch. That looks awesome, no other word fits.

I think I will get the MTH, because the rest of the train is MTH and has served me well. I've never had any problems with MTH. Also, because the rest is MTH, I think I will get it so the colors match.
That is a good reason. Mis-matched colors would not be nice. As for MTH it isn't the quality or lack there of of their products, it is the quality or lack thereof of the legal morals of the company itself, for which I refuse to do business with them. They could make exactly the model I wanted, with the best detail and running characteristics of any model in the world, and at a good price and I still wouldn't buy it.

They actually have seemed to improved in corporate credibility over the last few years, so perhaps there is hope of gaining my trust in the years to come but time will tell. Perhaps they finally figured out they could make more money selling good products than by suing everybody for every stupid thing under the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back