CN Dash 9 project

Here is some pics of my CN Dash 9 project. This is a modified Athearn C-44 shell with Kaslo resin wide cab. I modified the steps and anticlimbers so it look more like the real thing. I painted the model with Model Master chevy engine red and model flex engine black and I applied Microscale decals over the original Athearn silkscreen to get a more crisp look. Next I will install details like cab bell, grab irons, snow plow, handrails, etc...

Looking mighty fine, especially with plow and ditchlights added. Very neat job on the yellow sill stripes too.

Great looking engine Highroller. What are you using to drill out the holes for the grab irons. Correct me if I am wrong but is it called a Pin Vise?

The yellow sill stripe is made from decals found on the Microscale set 87-746. Yes, I drilled holes using a pin vise and glued the grab irons with "Pledge with Future" acrylic floor finish. I glued larger detail parts with Goo or formula 560 canopy glue.

Today progress. I painted and installed handrails and hoses clusters and a lot of paint touch up all over the model ! I add to cut the left handrail and install a brace. To do next: exhaust stack, MU hose and receptacle, coupler cut levers, sunshades, brake wheel, etc.

Here is a better picture. I don't like the glossy appearance of Model Master and Model Flex paints. I think Polly scale would have been a better choice. The whole thing will look much better with dull coat.

Yeah, but that glossy paint makes the decals go on a lot easier. I always either paint with glossy paint or spray with Gloss-Cote before applying decals. Once you're done, it's easy to just mask off the windows and lights and spray with some dullcote. I've been using Krylon Satin Finish for locomotives I want to look like they were just delivered and it has just enough shine to make it look good without the glare.

Progress made so far: I glued the cab windows made from .020" clear polyester sheet, I also installed the Kaslo cab interior details, ditch light bulbs and wire, brake wheel.

The following parts will be installed soon : exhaust stack, horn, MU receptacles, MU hoses, air hoses, coupler cut lever, headlight bulbs. Then, I will start working on the trucks and fuel tank details.

I need to find close up pictures of the rear left side of a real C44 Hi-Ad truck sideframe. I noticed this sideframe is different from the others. There seem to be chains and extra parts.

Well done and great "progress" shots on your project. The cab looks great!

T'a faite une maudite de bonne job :eek:

Can't help with rear truck issue, athough chains would usually be for truck restraints on curves. Very nice looking engine. That yellow sill stripe came out better than most yellow decals on black.

dont forget to add the yellow stripe to the stairs !

By the way i never saw a dash 9 with that cab. I tought the dash9 was only offered with the canadian comfort cab not the cowl one... correct me if im wrong :confused:

Trop hate de voir sa avec les lumieres !

Last edited by a moderator:

Back