Clifton & Woodville Build Thread

And a little ballast...

725f01dad93d28f1fb5dd42f49864dbe.jpg

b95e358ec56aefdc8a4ac84f1e3d366b.jpg

Lol, a very demanding one, actually. But amazing what a consistent couple hours per evening will get done.

I learned this from an off the highway tire man, he use to say "it does not take a good man all day to do a days work"

you must have years of experience to be so fast and efficient.

I'm getting to the party a little late but I LOVE that rock work!
What method do you use to get the strata effect?
Great videos too, can't wait to be able to run a train without having to back up...

The rock strata method I call "rocks by a million cuts" ... i take a very sharp brand new razor knife and make lots of parallel cuts across the foam. If you're doing it right they'll be nearly invisible. Then I drag a putty knife up and down vertically across them which opens up and tears them a bit... I'm trying for shale type rocks, as we have here in Pennsylvania.

New Loco joined the roster today: Bachmann 2-6-0.

Definitely took more fine-tuning than I'm used to with my largely BLI and MTH fleet: drivers were ALL out of gauge, and the leading truck was woefully under-sprung/weighted. On a mainline that is bulletproof for every other loco I own, and all ship-shape per my NMRA gauge, it would still derail at EVERY turnout and EVERY curve entrance.

Not a loco for someone who wants good running out-of-the-box. But for me, 20 minutes work corrected all that: Now it's a smooth, strong, quiet runner with nice sound. Can't beat the price (and nobody else is offering a 2-6-0 that I can find anyway).

[video=youtube;K-QDaCmjsRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-QDaCmjsRc&list=UUg9lcO4nFVtzsgiLwqUA8_A[/video]

PS - dig those 'vintage' life-like shorty passenger cars! Been sitting in a box for about 30 years now. Definitely not the detail or realism of current equipment, but good to see them running again!

Thanks, Louis. I've got rid of my older motive power, but still have decades worth of old school rolling stock, which I still enjoy running... though I'll admit the 20th century limited set from mth tops my Christmas list...

Thanks, Louis. I've got rid of my older motive power, but still have decades worth of old school rolling stock, which I still enjoy running... though I'll admit the 20th century limited set from mth tops my Christmas list...

Woah! 20th Century set is off the list, as I got it for early birthday gift. #worldsbestmom Between my wife being understanding about all those hours in the basement, and my mom supporting my train addiction, I'm really lucky with the women in my life! Not to mention, my daughter seems to be picking up the train bug...

Anyway... Here's a bit of updated video showing the relatively complete section of rockwork and weathered ballast. When I said "slate" I meant "shale"... Doh!

[video=youtube;kMSR5qvZvhE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMSR5qvZvhE[/video]

Here's also the 'virtual control panel' video, properly embedded. Anyone interested in using phones/tablets for controllers via JMRI (no toggles, no wires, no LEDs) feel free to ask:

[video=youtube;SbahY4nnAqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbahY4nnAqE[/video]

Last one for now... Some of you have asked about my motive power roster after seeing various locos... Here's the rundown:

-PRR K-4s: BLI. Mainline Passenger Work
-PRR K-4s: Spectrum. Mainline Passenger Work
-PRR K-4s: Spectrum. Had a run-in with the floor a while back. Awaiting a new drawbar from Bachmann.
-PRR T-1: BLI. Broadway Limited.
-NYC "Dreyfuss" Hudson. MTH. 20th Century Limited (while a PRR line, we make exceptions for streamliners. Because... cool.
-Burlington Zephyr 9900: Con-Cor. Again... Streamlined.
-Cliffton Cement Company 3-Truck Shay: Spectrum. Hauls ore cars of gravel from the quarry to the cement company.
-Woodville Lumber Co. Heisler: Rivarossi. Hauls log buggies from the log camp to the sawmill
-PRR 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain: Spectrum. Hauls "Reefer Express"
-Frisco 4-8-2 Light Mountain: Spectrum. (due for rebadging to PRR). Hauls "Beer Reefer Express." Stops at Woodville Brewery along the way.
-PRR 2-8-8-2: Heritage. Currently out of service. Some damned decoder problem I can't figure out. Would haul long strings of thru PRR boxcars.
-PRR 2-6-0: Hauls shorty passenger cars providing 'commuter' service to logging camp, quarry, cement company, sawmill and brewery.
-"James" and passenger cars from Bachmann's Thomas Tank Engine Line: Because... Kids. Absolutely the worst junk I own. Hate it. But... Kids.

Rolling stock more generally: Tons of wood-side display reefers. Ore cars for the gravel quarry/cement company. Beer reefers for the brewery. Keystone Log Buggies for the logging camp/sawmill. Lots of old Rivarossi PRR passenger cars including both heavyweight and "modern" smoothsides and "fleet of modernism" Broadway Limited (still running horn-hook and talgo trucks on most of the Rivarossi because... I'm cheap). Lots of old Life-Like "shorty" PRR Passenger cars that primarily ride behind the 2-6-0. A set of 4 Spectrum PRR passenger cars that don't match anything else and are rarely used. A whole bunch of PRR box cars. MTH 20th Century Limited en route...

Wish list? Basically have everything I -need-. The wish list is just indulging my love of streamlined steam from the 'golden age of travel'...

Hiawatha 4-4-2 steamer and cars including beavertail observation
John Wilkes streamliner and car set
Royal Blue Streamliner and car set
SoPac "Daylight" Streamliner and car set.
I'd not turn down an MTH "Big Boy" for which I have no rationale or real use... But... well... it's a Big Boy.

A few vids today, as we have some new arrivals:

1) The MTH New York Central 20th Century Limited 1938 Passenger Cars arrived. Out of the set of 5, 4 are great. Just what I'd expect from MTH. The Diner, however, has something fundamentally wrong. It derails at every turnout, either direction. Derails randomly throughout the layout. Uncouples constantly for no apparent reason, also at random locations. Probably an easy fix, but haven't had time to look yet.

[video=youtube_share;fg_BkG4Gunc]http://youtu.be/fg_BkG4Gunc[/video]

2) The C&W has seen its first diesel on the line. Not 'dieselizing' anytime soon, but the superintendant saw a deal on clearance when he visited MB Klein Locomotive Works, so here it is:

[video=youtube_share;5wuOoufjM9w]http://youtu.be/5wuOoufjM9w[/video]

3) Not a new arrival, but the Heisler running with some ore cars on the upper level:

[video=youtube_share;RF4Zy0aVDw8]http://youtu.be/RF4Zy0aVDw8[/video]

"A little distraction now and then is valued by the wisest men..." ok, willy wonka actually said "nonsense" but much the same. i find that stopping sometimes to enjoy the layout as it is and run some trains makes sure I avoid burnout and periods of inactivity.

Back