Cleaning metal out of files

Vince-RA

My files have become clogged with metal shavings, possibly even melted metal from overly aggressive filing. I've tried to use a wire brush to get it out with no luck. Someone recommended filing the end grain of a scrap board, which did seem to remove a little, but overall neither has made much difference. Any advice? They aren't super nice files, I could easily replace them if needed, but that seems more wasteful than I'd like.

In high school shop I think we would take the files to the grinding wheel. The harder steel of the file stayed intact while the specks would come out.

or, maybe that was the wire brush on the grinding wheel pedestal? 🧐

I usually buy new files if the old ones get clogged and the filings do not come out with the wire brush.

Dave

Could be the 'cut' of the file has deteriorated and you are seeing the bottom of the the file cut. In any event, grinder with wire brush as Dave says. This should not be real stiff wire though and you have to be careful when trying to clean stuff up as those smaller wires seem to fly everywhere. So wear your PPP.

Later

I don't have a grinder but have tried brushing by hand with first brass and then steel brushes. I do have a Dremel with some wire wheels, I'll give those a try. If that doesn't work I'll probably buy a new set, they were only $6-8 at home depot IIRC. I do have a much nicer set of miniature files that I would like to take care of, but those seem to be holding up better - probably because I only use them for very fine finishing work rather than filing off big chunks of metal. Thanks, all.

You might have filed an aluminum part with it. Not a good idea. Use a brass wire brush vigorously to clean it out. Otherwise, like others have posted, get a new file.
Only thing I have used these on are white metal castings of model parts. Guessing this has a low enough melting point that I might have melted some into the files?

Tried the wire wheel on the dremel and it didn't make much of a difference, so off to home depot for a replacement set - it was $10 this time, but they sure do cut nicely now.

Try this. Get a file card, they are stiffer than a wire brush. You can also heat the file in an oven set above 450 degrees then use a wire brush. different metals have different melting points so will expand and contract at different rates. Another option would be to heat the file in the oven and then immediately quench in a bucket of cold water. The quick change in temps and resulting contraction rates will loosen the 'grip' between the dissimilar metals and the file card should easily dislodge the debris.

I have the same files bought new in 1976 and the only abuse they ever took was when lent them to a non-machinist.

as a last resort you can chuck them and buy new.

<EDIT> Use caution when handling a hot piece of metal.

Last edited:
Only thing I have used these on are white metal castings of model parts. Guessing this has a low enough melting point that I might have melted some into the files?

Tried the wire wheel on the dremel and it didn't make much of a difference, so off to home depot for a replacement set - it was $10 this time, but they sure do cut nicely now.
White metal castings will do it. Glad you're back in service, with the new files. Glenn

FWIW not, I did a quicky search about this after the original post and found several guys who suggested using chalk. Presumably they meant "chalk the file" (with powder by filing some off a chalk stick?) before filing. Not sure if they were suggesting this only when filing softer materials like aluminum or for filing steel as well. You might look into it further, for "next time."

Otherwise, I agree: A file card is the way to go. I have the General card, and it works for me so far, even when filing the ends of golf club shafts.

Nicholson makes this one: https://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-21...283&sprefix=general+file+cardd,aps,118&sr=8-7

Last edited:
I highly doubt that you melted any metal while filing it. What happened is the metal galled into the file.
If you are using needle files you may have limited results with wire brushes as the wires are too big to get into the cuts in the files to get the metal out.
Chalk rubbed on the file before filing helps lube the teeth of the file limiting the galling you can get. Don't use anything liquid or sticky because the filings will stick in the file and make it worse.
Don't force the files, let the teeth cut, don't push hard on the file. You have to take your time filing.
I have used an awl or a pin to clean the grooves in the file out.

Richard

You might try sharpening your files. I have a sneaking suspicion that sharpening them will also clean out any muck and mire galled into the grooves. I have a few files that could probably use sharpened. I haven't tried this yet since I have more than enough files on hand right now. But one of these days................................

Oh yeah - sharpening files. Think I'm kidding? I stumbled on this a few weeks ago while perusing some YouTube videos. Dangdest thing I never saw before. But in the few videos I watched, the posters claimed it worked pretty good in most cases. And if it didn't work, then your file definitely needs replaced. Do a google search on "chemically sharpening files", and see what pops up. 👍

Did you use some "penetrating lube" (arr!) with your wire brush? Something like soaking it in WD40 first might help..
Also if a file is clogged then it is likely a softer metal than the file right? So a bit of chemistry might be your solution if you know what is clogging it.. For example If it is aluminium you can clean it with gallium (ok not something you are likely to have hanging around, but you can order a bit cheap enough online and it is fun stuff.. its like mercury you can actually safely play with).
Or maybe treat it to a brief chemical bath targeted on the material that is clogging it. I am guessing your file is likely a hardened steel which is pretty tough stuff compared to what it has been filing, so maybe a dip the (right) acid or just simply heating it up and then brushing as different metals have different expansions and might jiggle it loose.

Last edited:
Be careful if you use the Dremel wire brushes- they shed really quickly if you put much pressure on them (experience...).

Muriatic acid would be a last resort but IT WILL remove the aluminum or cast aluminum by dissolving it. Kinda fun but gotta protect yourself with a respirator designed for chemicals, gloves and goggles. Do this outside. The acid will froth and boil until the aluminum dissolves. Depending upon how much aluminum its eating away, it will also get really hot. It will also strip off the protective costing on the file causing it to rust. Way easier to replace with new unless you are stubborn and wanna win.

Muriatic acid would be a last resort but IT WILL remove the aluminum or cast aluminum by dissolving it. Kinda fun but gotta protect yourself with a respirator designed for chemicals, gloves and goggles. Do this outside. The acid will froth and boil until the aluminum dissolves. Depending upon how much aluminum its eating away, it will also get really hot. It will also strip off the protective costing on the file causing it to rust. Way easier to replace with new unless you are stubborn and wanna win.

If one has some Muriatic acid handy, it would still be cost-effective to at least give it a try. At least for bigger, expensive files. And anyone that already has Muriatic acid lying around is probably well aware of the necessary safety precautions (or should be, anyway!!!). Storing cleaned, sharpened files in a climate-controlled environment should stave off any rusting for a long time.

For a few, small, cheaper files that could be found at Harbor Freight Tools or the like, you are correct - far easier, safer, and cheaper just to go buy some new ones.

I take a piece of brass strip and run the end parallel with the file's teeth. The teeth cut a saw tooth edge in the end of the brass strip and that reaches down and ploughs up the stuff in the file. Once again, not along the length of the file, parallel with the "grain" of the file.

Back