Cheaper acrillic paint

I don't know if this will meet your pricing requirements, but I really like the products that Dick Blick's Art Supply carries. The Acrylics are very high quality and are cheaper in terms of quantity to cost than Testors or similar products. They also have stuff like Pastel Chalks and Gouache watercolor for weathering which is harder to find.

Side question: Do any of you have a suggestion for a decent acryllic paint remover? I have used the Testor's product which works, but the amount you get for the cost is not very reasonable.

These questions were asked before, but I didn't see a straightforward answer to them, so I'll ask again....

Does anyone use these cheap acrylic paints in an airbrush?

If so, what do you use them for? Can they be used to paint locos and rolling stock? Or just for weathering, scenery, etc.? Seems like the paint wouldn't stick too well to plastic.

Thanks.

yeah i used mine in an airbrush and they worked fine. as long as you prime what you are painting first you wont have a problem. I have painted engines and rolling stock with them

I Know a lot of folks on other lists have done it. They use a commercial thinning solution for it. Something like Liquitex for airbrush thinner.

Some folks use windshield washer fluid, but I don't know if those folks do that in the airbrush or not.

Kennedy

Some folks use windshield washer fluid, but I don't know if those folks do that in the airbrush or not.
Hi Kennedy, yes it can be used with an air brush but it has to be the Winter stuff "Blue" that has an alcohol base, the summer type has a sort of vinegar base for removing bugs etc.

CVheers Willis

So why would I use (the more expensive) testors enamel model paint?

(I just bought a bunch of acrylic's at Michaels craft store, really hard to feel manly shopping in there tho).

I dunno, why would you? :D

But, they're a fallback if you're looking for a color that can't be had in the crafts acrylics. The hardest part is putting together a color chart to use at the crafts store. So, you might have to find somebody that has the correct expensive stuff and have them put a blotch onto some wood or cardboard as a color chip.....

Kennedy

Back