Cheaper acrillic paint

BAD

So I am sick of paying over a buck an once for my paint, does anyone know any good acrilic paint that I can use in my airbrush that I can buy in larger quantities for a lot cheaper price. Thanks:D

Michaels has sales on acrylic paint every few months. They usually go for 50 cents for two ounce bottles. Hard to beat that price even in quantity.

I buy all my acrylics at Walmart & Target. Just recently all the 44 cent paints went up to 80 cents, but that's still a lot cheaper than model paints.

Larry

So do you guys buy that Apple Barrel craft paint like this:
cp0225d1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, do you dulote them the 15% or whatever it is when it is reccamened or do you do more or less?

Yes. Either them, or Delta Ceramcoat. Or, Folk Art Plaid. Or whatever happens to be on the shelf.

Best bet is to make up some color cards, then go out to the store and check out what they have. Find a good match, and off you go. Much cheaper than the model paints. Like Oxide, which is the same as Boxcar Red.

As far as thinning, you can use any alky-based liquid. Some folks use windshield washer fluid (99cents per gallon) as thinner. Don't know the percentages. When I use it as a wash, I dilute with rubbing alky, to make wet water. Some folks use the acrylic thinner found in the crafts stores. Personal preference, I'd say.

Kennedy

good thing i read this i was going to goto pearl and get some paints. The acrylic's were $4 for a tube of burnt sienna.

The only time I buy the tube stuff is if there's no other color available (not that likely), or I need a large tube of concentrate to do something. I have a large tube of Liquitex dark brown, I think, that I'm going to use to darken a can of returned acrylic housepaint from Home Depot. I want to darken it to an earthy tone for the layout.

Kennedy

I buy Liquidex Acrylic Paints in the squirt bottle. I then mix paint to get the colors I want. It's way cheaper than buying the little bottles and the subtleties in color help add realism.

I buy Liquidex Acrylic Paints in the squirt bottle. I then mix paint to get the colors I want. It's way cheaper than buying the little bottles and the subtleties in color help add realism.

where can you buy those paints? squirt bottle definitely sounds better then the toothpaste type paint tubes.

If you go to the Craft Section of your local Wally or Michael's you will find these Acrylic paints !!

I went to AC Moore earlier and picked up a few bottles of Folk Art acrylic paint.
I got these colors:
Real Brown
Red Earth
Raw Umber
Burnt Sienna
Burnt Umber
Dark Grey
Raw Sienna
Black and White
Clay Bisque---substituted it for the sand which I could not find in any of the acrylic paints.
Also Medium yellow---use in color experiments.

the folk art bottles I believe were like $1.00, i had to get a ceramcoat black for $.79 and 2 bottles of color traditions which were $.89.

I've been using these on my terrain, but thought I was cheating. :D

Do you use these for structures are well? I saw that someone mentioned an airbrush.

I've been using these on my terrain, but thought I was cheating. :D

Do you use these for structures are well? I saw that someone mentioned an airbrush.

I've used them for grout on my brick buildings, but I am gunna airbrush a few engines like this so Ill see how they work.

the paints i bought aren't bad. I kinda just messed around last night before bed and tried a rust streak on the side of a gondola.....what a disaster. Then i turned to one of the trucks and to my amazement I think I actually did a good job of taking an old lifelike truck and makiing it look pretty good. Gave it a rust color, may experiment on the other side of it with a grey/brown/black mix to see what I can come up with.

Back