Changes and updates to a half complete small HO layout

bklynman01

Well, I started a different thread after deciding I wanted to add a small switching area and improve accessibility to parts of my layout. That thread is here:
https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/questions-about-switching-area.34327/

Since the switching area design is pretty complete and I'm laying out the design for the adjacent coal mining area, I figured it best to create a build thread. And so, from now on I'll use this thread to gives updates.

Some background, the layout was started right before the pandemic. I knew we would all end up at home for a while, but I never envisioned what we now know as the longest year on record. My son was part of the motivation, so getting trains running was a priority. That made me overlook some basic design flaws, but I was okay living with them at the time. Well, that time ended and now those changes have been made - well, they're in progress. Check out this thread for the beginning work:
https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...esign-looking-for-feedback.32224/#post-477387

Latest updates in the next post...

I've wanted to build a cool coal mine for a long time now. I have the kit from Whalters, but am yet to actually put it in a layout. So the plan is to build it into the side of the mountain as a small mine operation. The track that leads up there comes from the small switching area where a brewery is located. The original track plan didn't really account for any of this, so I'm doing what I can to make it all fit.

Access to the coal mine will a track that has a somewhat steep grade and small radii. I have a small switching loco that I'll use to take 1 or 2 hoppers up at a time. With the size of the layout, anything bigger wouldn't really fit anyway.
I took some hardboard and laid it in the area to trace out where the track would lie. I had a rip of plywood from a different project laying around in the garage, so I cut that up to make the standoffs for the raised platform. This was done in two sections. Here you can see the back section is complete and the next is waiting for the wood glue to dry. I did put it in place last night, guess I forgot to take a picture.
PXL_20220306_221540114.jpg

Before putting all of this in place, I need to make sure the mainline has no problems. There is one little area that hasn't caused too many problems, but every once in a while I'd end up with a decoupled train. Here's the before image of that area:
PXL_20220211_034134132.jpg

Obviously not my best work. Sorry to say I've done worse before, but that was a long time ago :)

There was slight kink in all the dimensions of this junction. I see now the main issue here - there's a junction at a change in grade. Lesson learned, flex track shall span at least a few inches on either side of any grade changes.
So, I peeled up the track that was caulked down on the left side and removed the nails from the right side to free everything up. Some heat with a soldering iron and some influence with small pliers, I was able to get everything smooth again. Then using my track gauge and some old spikes, I laid a piece of balsa wood underneath and spiked the track properly. All is smooth and running great now.
PXL_20220306_224033859.jpg
PXL_20220306_224025098.MP.jpg

You'll notice the feeder wires are gone now. I decided that trying to solder the wires back to the track after all the work of trying to get them straightened out was too risky. There are feeders on either side of this junction at the next set of junctions, so I'm okay with leaving this one off.

I tried to set the coal mine up on my work table to get a good look at it. It's going to take a lot of work to get it where it needs to go, but I'll need to put some mountain terrain in place to see where it belongs. I'll get there, it'll just take time.
PXL_20220307_025938742.jpg
PXL_20220307_025929897.jpg

As for the track that leads up to it, there is a slight disagreement in grade between the two sections of hardboard I'm laying it on. So, some fancy work with a shim and some track nails for support should do the trick.
PXL_20220307_020144206.jpg
PXL_20220307_020150353.jpg

(not that fancy, but I was happy with how accurate the grade of the shim met my needs)
This piece of track will likely be hidden later, so I may not do much more than what is seen here.

I tried to set the coal mine up on my work table to get a good look at it.
Ah, you went with the "New River Mining Company". I built that one for our club years .. no decades ago. It's big. You can do pretty much anything with that. Three tracks under the primary, one along side, and one for the side loading tipple. At the club we also had two service tracks and a loco pocket. OR the opposite. Two active tracks under with the other one weed grown and basically inactive.

Love to see how you are updating previously layed track, gotta have that train running nice and smooth😉

Floating around the forum during lunch break, I realize I never shared any images from this past week's [dare I call it] progress.

I've got the coal mine area glued in place. I used caulk to glue the plywood stands to the pink foam. With that in place, I'm able to get a good idea of how that area will look later. I put the rock face there, but it's not permanent. That rock face is from before I started this rework and likely end up in the trash. For now, it helps me envision the scene that will come later.
PXL_20220310_171000239.jpg

Floating around on YouTube a few days ago, I watched this video and think this might be a better way for me to have a coal mine in this small space. It's a simple mountain side scratch built structure that can load a few cars at a time. Although I really like the New River Mining Company, it's a large model and requires a good size area to really do it justice. Still undecided, but leaning this way now...

Here's what the switching area looks like now. I need to get myself a packaging facility and a grain silo to complete the entire scene. Any suggestions for kits or models are welcomed.
PXL_20220310_171008277.jpg

I learned today that one of the major exports in Ukraine is barley. My brewery's barley is coming from a small farm just down the track. Kit needs built still, but my son picked it out so it may take a while before it's complete...
PXL_20220310_171044254.jpg

And Finally some overall pictures to put everything in perspective.
PXL_20220310_170938334.jpg

PXL_20220310_170938334.jpg

Didn't have much time in the train room the last few days, so some small updates this week.

I laid the track that will head up to the mine and tested to make sure my little engine could make it pulling up a heavy hopper. There were no issues, so grade and radii will stay. The engine had some running issues, but that's a different thread for later.
PXL_20220314_020259671.jpg

A bit of short-sightedness, the switchback area isn't long enough to hold the engine and a car! I'll need to add a bit more ground for the last little bit of track to be supported. Minor inconvenience at this point, I imagine something bad will happen here later...
PXL_20220314_020231333.jpg

The other thing I started is making some trees. As many of you know, there are so many trees in a layout that the process could become mind numbing. I'm starting this now so that I can work slowly and have a bunch ready when it's time to install. This method is completely new to me, but it's something I can do while sitting and watching TV with the wife, so I tested it out last night.
I took some florist wire and cut around 10 pieces at ~15 inches long. Put them together and fold in half, then twist the trunk of the tree. The loop end becomes the root system (if that's desired) and the loose ends are bent and twisted out to be the limbs and branches of the tree. After twisted up, I mixed some Dimension Craft Paste from Testors (it was on sale at Michaels - $3!) with some burnt umber and burnt sienna to get a good brown tree color. Using a stiff brush, I coated the wires with that mixture to fill in the wire grooves and give some tree-like texture.

Here is a picture of the first tree in the background, and a second up front. The second tree I used wires that were ~13 inches, you can see the difference in tree size.
PXL_20220314_011604151.jpg

Here's both of them coated in craft paste. I think the brown is not dark enough, will need to paint them again before adding foliage.
PXL_20220314_012211239.MP.jpg

If anyone is interested in this, I can put detail in another thread for it. Let me know if that's something that would be desired, I can take more pictures next time I make a few.

Needed a break from working on a defiant locomotive, decided to put some foam in place to envision what the mountain and coal mine will look like. Here's what I came up with...

PXL_20220317_011359916.jpg

PXL_20220317_011335812.jpg

Second picture is a bit blurry, didn't notice that before.
The loading track will be on the hardboard, in front of the foam sheets. The mining structure will be built on the side of that hill with tipple over the track.

I like the flat space on top, may put a scene of some kind up there. Thinking either a town (maybe one where the ground is burning!?) or a campsite, or a fishing pond. No decisions yet, gotta stay focused on what's not yet completed.

While putting that foam in place, I realized there's a small issue with the light switch for the room!
A small access hole to turn the lights on/off and to also give me a view through the tunnel 😅
PXL_20220317_011109384.jpg

Will glue most of these down today at some point, hopefully they'll be ready for some work by tomorrow night. It's supposed to rain for a couple days here, so I just might get some hobby time!

Oh, and I did make a couple more trees last night after finishing the paint job on the first couple. I'll get a couple of pictures of those and post later.

Got the layers of foam glued down. I drew the outline of each sheet and then numbered each one so I could remember the order. I also tried to lineup the numbers so I could remember the placement of each order.
PXL_20220318_213731285.jpg

I also decided to use that side wall where the light switch is a removable panel. So, there's pieces of construction paper there to help it slide when needed.

PXL_20220318_215654004.jpg

Once that's dry, I'll shave the edges to be smooth and plan the exact area for the coal mine.

Question for everyone - how would you handle where the foam meets the wall? I don't want to adhere the boards to the wall, but the landscaping should run right up to it. Is there a preferred way to protect the wall? Or just protect when doing the landscape and then take down the protection? Should I put the top layer right up against the wall or leave a small (like 1/8") gap?
Thanks!

Looking great!

I'd be tempted to put a strip of white styrene on the end and have it stick up a few inches. Then have that flush up against the wall

Back