Challenger and big boy

lmackattack

old school
Who makes a robust model in ho scale. I like to pull long trains and enjoy a quiet running, good puller at a reasonable cost. I see mth,athearn, Lionel,ahm etc... Who made the best bang for your buck model?

Good puller at a reasonable cost? I'm not sure what you would consider a reasonable cost. There are only a few model companies that make the models you are looking for and you can find them on line.

*IF* you can find one, a Bowser Challenger will out pull all others - easily. The Big Boy pulls even more!

Detail - c+
Ability to add details can solve some of this.
If you find a kit, you'll notice NO TENDER.
use a Rivorossi tender from a Challenger/Big Boy.
make sure your model bridges are sturdy!

*IF* you can find one, a Bowser Challenger will out pull all others - easily. The Big Boy pulls even more!

Detail - c+
Ability to add details can solve some of this.
If you find a kit, you'll notice NO TENDER.
use a Rivorossi tender from a Challenger/Big Boy.
make sure your model bridges are sturdy!
all very true lol :p

This is the one that I've been watching (I too want a Big Boy - I'm building 30" radius curves) but

1) it's out of stock - and has been since I found the linke

2) title says "DCC Ready" but body says "This also is equipped with ..." and I'm not certain what that really means. Is there a separate item on their site with the DCC INSTALLED ??? (I can't find it) or something that has to be ordered separately and installed by me .... confusion reigns (in my mind) :)

This is the one that I've been watching (I too want a Big Boy - I'm building 30" radius curves) but

1) it's out of stock - and has been since I found the linke

2) title says "DCC Ready" but body says "This also is equipped with ..." and I'm not certain what that really means. Is there a separate item on their site with the DCC INSTALLED ??? (I can't find it) or something that has to be ordered separately and installed by me .... confusion reigns (in my mind) :)
well it looks like your tolling evilbay:p
i have a few big boys made by diffrent companies , & i dont have a home layout,im just a big addict :D

The Rivarossi H-8 Allegheny is superbly detailed, nice runner, and pulls a hefty load. It has traction tires, which help a lot. Just don't expect miracles with the sound files, unless LokSound and Hornby/Rivarossi have wisened up and changed them to reflect what the heaviest articulated ever built must have sounded like. It had a hooter for a whistle.

Here it is:

H-8Senecafinal_editedr.png

The Rivarossi H-8 Allegheny is superbly detailed, nice runner, and pulls a hefty load. It has traction tires, which help a lot. Just don't expect miracles with the sound files, unless LokSound and Hornby/Rivarossi have wisened up and changed them to reflect what the heaviest articulated ever built must have sounded like. It had a hooter for a whistle.

Here it is:

H-8Senecafinal_editedr.png
god why did the ever invent diesels, something transend profit,WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MACHINE!!!:cool:

I guess your choice partly depends on whether you are interested in prototype fidelity and/or will be operating using DC or DCC. I wouldn't even consider the Bowser. While they may be great pullers, they are 60-70's technology and crude by today's standards. They are difficult to add details to because the cast boilers are not solderable and they used open frame motors, and of course there is the matter of needing a tender. Their Big Boy used the same boiler as their Challenger, which is not correct, with a modified chassis to accommodate the extra sets of drivers.

I can't comment on the MTH versions because I use DCC and MTH had their own version of DCC which was not particularly friendly unless you used their controller. I understand they have changed this to some extent and at least partially use NMRA DCC standards, but MTH has always seemed to march to a different drummer and this has kind of turned me off on MTH. Some love them some don't.

Rivarossi-can't comment on the newer stuff. Their older stuff kind of struck me as the poor man's Big Boy. Cheap, but not the greatest pullers, lots of running gear compromises to run on sharp radius curves, basically kind of toylike. Not high on my wish list.

Athearn-In my humble opinion probably the winner overall. Excellent detail, good running characteristics, Tsunami sound, if you're into that and decent pulling power. Athearn is re-running both Challengers and Big Boys in 2013 if you're interested.

I've spent 55 years modeling UP and my goal was to acquire one of every wheel arrangement used by the steamers which I finally achieved. These all happened to be brass. Well, I got a little carried away with some classes like the Challengers and had 7 of them. Two were non brass and they were Athearn. I think that might be a giveaway as to my favorites. Sorry for the long post

One part of your question may be a problem, "reasonable price." You could luck out and find something on ebay, but with some of the stories I have heard, be careful. Good hunting.

When Trix came out with the Big Boy back in 2001, I bought one. I had to add sound and never got around to installing the chuf sync, but it's always been a rail fan attraction on my layout. It has a smoke feature and pulls darn good. Not a fast loco as it is geared for typical speed of about 65mph or so. The kids always want to see them go a lot faster.

I never had the pleasure of seeing the Trix version. I understand they were very fine models both detail and running wise. I did see a Trix USRA 2-8-2 and it was very impressive. Only downside with the Trix versions was it was about double the price of other makers, almost brass prices.

If I can add my .02, I would have to say Athearn's would be my choice also to fit your criteria. Just like Hergy suggested. You can find them cheap on fleabay and they pull well. If you are willing to go the extra mile I have installed Tsunami's in all of mine and I love them. You can even have a Tsunami installedby a shop for that matter. My favorite has to be my PCM's (Tsunai installed) with my MTH's in a close second though. At open house kid's just light up when I pull the MTH's out of the roundhouse and down the track with them smoking up a storm.

On another note if you do decide to look into the H8 LMK I have 1 I am getting ready to sell. It has a Tsunami professionally installed by Litchfield Station. I just shot a video of it and will sell it for $300.

Last edited by a moderator:
:Dhergy , a man after my own heart ,:p i model the union pacific i have a few big boys& i sold off all my challengers expect 1, got my 4-8-2 & im getting my 9000 back from my son if everything works out 2 or 3 2-8-2's so im slowly getting there lol:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't model the UP but do like prototype looking locomotives. I run dcc but saw there were a handful of companies that made them over the years. Some much older than others. I will have to keep my eyes out for a deal on an athearn.

Back