Cat’s Head Pier

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Jking

I am building Sheepscot’s Cats Head Pier and I can’t really find any reference pictures of a similar structure. It is a wooden coal unloading structure built around 1910.

Y3a

Stuck in the 1930's
i just copied the phrase "Sheepscot’s Cats Head Pier", pasted it into my browsers search field and saw MANY photos of it.

ianacole

Do they say it's based on a prototype structure - haven't seen the kit so I don't know. A lot of times kit of prototypes will give them names different than the original buildings, for copyright reasons I suspect. Do the instructions indicate a region or city for the prototype? FSM kits will often reference where they got the ideas for the kit from. Did you search for "Wooden coal unloading structures" to see what returns?

The quote you gave me helped, thanks. I had done “coal unloading coal trestle 1920s”. The original may have been around Dartmouth. New to model railroading and the genre.

The Great Divide

The quote you gave me helped, thanks. I had done “coal unloading coal trestle 1920s”. The original may have been around Dartmouth. New to model railroading and the genre.
I tried this search out of curiosity but I do not see any images that come up a port/wharf unloading and loading structure. if you found it can you post the link or ? thanks

ianacole

In searching through the images I came across this description on the box:

"A very realistic and historically accurate model of a coal unloading and distribution system used during the 1910 to 1960 era."

Pulling words out of this to might yield some additional search results.

The Great Divide

In searching through the images I came across this description on the box:

"A very realistic and historically accurate model of a coal unloading and distribution system used during the 1910 to 1960 era."

Pulling words out of this to might yield some additional search results.
Ahhh, well no problem I will continue to search. Based out of Maine many of the structures were inspired by the northeast coast but Any wooden port loading facility for ore or even grain might look like this. I would like to find a prototype as well but at this point I am just curious more than anything and surprised I am not finding more of these. 100 years ago structures like these would have been all along any coastal port. Anywhere you needed to unload boats and wanted the product to go into a rail car.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.