Cardboard strips for scenery support?

I have used both J-Cloths and aluminum window screening. Just cut to fit, heat up the hot glue gun, and let 'er rip. I use a heavy ground goop in two pound batches, so my method needs some help behind it. I shove crumpled newspapers into shopping bags and jam the bags in behind the aluminum screening or J-Cloths. When there is good support behind it all, then I begin to ladle on the goop.

I think I will try a section of cardboard on my next layout....just 'cuz. :D

-Crandell

Thanks Ed, that is good prices. I bookmarked that site...never know when your contacts will disappear. ;) :)

I don't know that I'd use a table saw unless it had a really fine blade on it - too much of a chance of tearing up the cardboard with your typical saw blade. I use a long metal straight edge and a Stanley utility knife to cut up my cardboard strips. One thing to watch out for that nobody's talked about yet is the strings left after hot-gluing things together and you pull away the glue gun. You don't always see them and can be hot if they fall across an unprotected piece of skin. Been there, done that. I don't like stapling things together as it crushes the cardboard too much; that, and it can be real difficult to get the stapler in where you want it.

As to worrying about the cardboard soaking up water and deforming or coming apart - if that's happening then you're using too much water. One thing that can be a problem is if you're doing scenery and it's humid - it will prevent things from drying out properly.

I use white glue and clothespins. I construct a bit at a time, let the pins do their work and take a good look at things while waiting for the glue to dry. If I need to rearrange something,. , I don't have to take everything apart, just the last thing glued.

Back