Can someone help me identify this layout?

burakol

Years ago, I inherited a semi completed track layout from an acquaintance. At the time, my kids were little and I didn't really get the chance to expand and work on the layout at home... plus, it occupied some needed space in our garage so I had to pay it forward.
Now that I have students that are expressing some interest in creating a train layout, I had to dig through my photos to find that old layout and hoping to re-create it in my classroom...

Attached is the photo I found... I remember the incline track used some flex tracks., but other than that, I do not have a recollection of what tracks it used... We mostly have code 100 Atlas...

Any ideas of what specific tracks we need, or at least point me to where I can find information about the layout? I've always been a newbie on railroading... Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4690.jpeg
    IMG_4690.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4691.jpeg
    IMG_4691.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 78
I am currently trying to play with the AnyRail track planning program to recreate the layout but I am not getting any luck connecting the tracks... Ant tricks or pointers I need to keep in mind? I know how create the circle layout, but when I add switches, I am not finding the correct track size/type...

Thank you. We already have a ton of old Atlas code 100 brass tracks and switches that my students will be using… @Bruette

its a figure 8 but doesnt use a crossing… one mainline on the outer track, the. The two circle tracks in the middle can run each train… and switches to go in/out the inner tracks/outer track

Thank you. We already have a ton of old Atlas code 100 brass tracks and switches that my students will be using… @Bruette

its a figure 8 but doesnt use a crossing… one mainline on the outer track, the. The two circle tracks in the middle can run each train… and switches to go in/out the inner tracks/outer track
Your layout is "not" a figure 8. A figure 8 layout would have the train change direction, running in reverse on one end of the layout. Yours has two circles, with a pair of switches at each end, and track connecting them.

I agree with Terry, looks like just two circles with switches that match the radius, likely 18”.
Start with the switches you have and see if you can get curves with the same radius.

I am about 90% certain the switches were Atlas #4… but I couldn’t figure what short tracks to use to get the connections/track joiners to be smooth and not kinked or would line up using AnyRail software… should I just approach this using a trial-and-error approach?

Back