Caboose Windows?

morgreh

I have acquired the following cabeese:

Atlas Trainman 35564 Cupola Caboose
Atlas Trainmain 35565 Cupola Caboose
Micro Trains 100180 36' Riveted Steel Caboose Offset Cupola

The problem is that none of them have windows in them. Just open empty space. I also have a couple of other cabeese that do have windows in them and they look a lot better.

My question is, does anyone know if there's a detail kit or window kit for the above cabeese? My Google-Fu appears weak because I haven't been able to hit upon the right search term combination to find such a thing if it does exist.

Baring that, does anyone have any suggestions for me on things that I could use to put windows into the above cabeese?

I've attached a couple of photos of the cabeese in question.

Thanks.

Caboose windows

You could use the heavy duty sheet protectors from staples. Just cut them to size and glue.

BJ

For glazing, I often use the clear plastic salvaged from blister packaging used for consumer products. I cut a piece of plastic to slightly larger than the window opening, lay it in place (from the inside), then touch the edge of the plastic with a drop of liquid cement for plastics. The glue is instantly drawn around the perimeter of the plastic by capillary action.

- Jeff

I second Jeff's suggestion. I generally have a couple of opened blister packs standing by for use as window glazing. It's even easier if you don't plan on modeling the interior - then you can just cut a single strip the full length of the caboose and glue it to the sides.

Jim

Thanks. That's good advice that I hadn't thought of.

Looks like I'll have to start collecting blister packs! :)

Thanks again!

I also have a couple of other cabeese that do have windows in them and they look a lot better.
Yes, that is the one single update that improves the look of a caboose or passenger car more than any thing.

My question is, does anyone know if there's a detail kit or window kit for the above cabeese?
That is not the sort of thing a Google or Amazon web search is going to find. Go to the Walther's or major hobby store (like caboose hobbies) site and search there. Micro-trains makes a "windows kit" for their caboose.
Here is the one for the 51000 series http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=26599

Baring that, does anyone have any suggestions for me on things that I could use to put windows into the above cabeese?
As the others have said, I always keep any flat plastic from blister packs to use for windows. I sand any paint away from the inside wall of the caboose before I glue it. Otherwise sometimes the paint will either prevent the "glass" from sticking well or the paint will blur into the window pane.

Also note that all blister pack plastic is not the same. Test it first to be certain it has the same "melting" characteristics with styrene cement as the plastic the caboose is made of. That will make installation much easier and a more reliable "bond" for the future of the window.

If you are real ambitious the clear plastic can be cut window size and built up to make the windows more flush with the outside wall of the caboose. This is much easier in the larger scales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Krystal Klear work on windows that big? I've never used it. What about plain ole PVA aka Elmers.

Does Krystal Klear work on windows that big? I've never used it. What about plain ole PVA aka Elmers.
I had some Krystal Klear and didn't like the results. It "globbed" in the corners making the windows sort of concave shaped. Never tried it again. I think I threw it away.

Another related question.

Is it just me or do the cupola windows on the Micro Trains 100180 36' riveted steel caboose that I showed in a picture earlier in this thread look grossly oversized?

Any suggestions for correcting that?

Thanks.

Back