BULL FROG SNOT!!!!! Get some trust me!!!

Bull Frog Snot is the way to go.

I bought some and put it on my new Bachmann 2-8-4. It works wonderfully.

The first time I put it on was a mess. It clumped up and wasnt any good. Goo on the wheels and picked up all the dirt off the track.

The second time was better but I still wasnt satisfied.

The third try was the charm. It takes some patience. There are lots of places to watch videos of people doing the application. Watch a bunch of them if you choose to get some and practice. I did an 0-4-0 switcher and OH MY GOSH!!!!

I have my Rivarossi 2-8-8-2 curing now. I cant wait till tomorrow night when I get home to test run it.

Simple things I found that help that arent new news. However you will try them thinking it will help.

1. Put it on with a toothpick and let it run like it shows. Dont play with it and dont form it.

2. Dont go thick just a big drop and keep the toothpick against the wheel and pull off once it starts sticking.

3. Let it run until the color is gone like it says. Dont stop it to look and dont play with it because it will glop.

4. Wait at least 24 hours minimum.

5. Thicker is not better. Do one wheel and when you get the hang of it keep on going.

Yep you can tell I can watch a video and read instructions but I cant resist the temptation to mess with something. Follow the instructions and guidelines to a T and it will work great.

I am still in the practice stage but I can see were this product is worth twice what it costs.

Good Luck All

i'd rather have my wheels slip then overload and burn the motor. slipping would probably be a good indication when trying to pull to much on to steep of a slope. just IMHO.

It's just that some steamers have very poor pulling power because they aren't heavy enough. Bullfrog snot is a traction tire alternative

Burning out a motor shouldn't be a problem with an engine of a given weight. When you have the throttle set way up there and the train isn't moving, nor spinning, then you know you've gone too far, but the attentive and responsible train driver should soon have a good sense of the limits of his equipment before he ever loads it up to that extent.

I know some BLI Niagara owners who love the pulling power of their models. I am not one of them. For whatever reason, mine is light on its feet. BFS doubled its pulling power, and it is now pulling something like what the others claim theirs do. I doubt they are blowing their drives or their motors if they don't use BFS and I do, and if the performances are commensurate with each other.

I use BFS on four engines to this point.

-Crandell

It might be great at adding pulling power but be aware you are risking the ole cracked gear problem as well.
The Rivarosi Y6B the op mentioned shouldn't need BFS but if it makes you happy go for it.
By the way, about how long does an application last (in hours)?

I run a 2% grade on 2 of my main lines so slippage is a common problem. Locos with good traction tires do fine and I havent had problems with any burnouts over the past 5 years. Maybe I dont run them enough.

I dont think burnout will be a problem and I dont know about the gears but I am not driving wreckless and dont feel they are over torquing. Certainly spinning wheels doesnt make for a good wheel/track situation either. I would say that it would peel off long before it would strip gears.

As stated above weight is probably more of the problem and I have added weight were I can. This helps more as far as I can tell.

I dont know how long it will last hamltnblue but I will let you have an idea as I go.

I can tell you it takes about 2 min to set up and do one. It takes maybe 5 minutes to get it all off at most. As long as it cures 24 hrs it seems to be good to go.

The closest thing I could compare it to is the grip stuff you used to be able to get to dip plyers and tools in to make a new grip. It is much smoother than that but that gives you an idea of what it is like.

i tried BFS and it worked great on 2 of my little steam engines. I tried it on a Bachmann mountain and it did not like it. I have noticed that engines with traction tires seam to have a harder rubber tire that still lets the wheels slip but pull alot better. BFS on the other hand will stress the motors of a already heavy engine. one thing that I will say is that BFS took a engine that once could only pull 30 cars and can pull 50! it does work as intended!

Huh. Ya learn something new every day on this forum - I was told years ago by some "old hands" that traction tires were only for "crappy engines". Looks like that is definitely NOT the case. I don't have any major grades but I'll keep BFS in mind if I ever do...

If it is a crappy engine put it behind the engine house and weather it. If that doesnt work put some more bushes, weeds and shrubs around it.

I am going to do an 0-4-0 tonight when I retest my new Bachmann.

Actually you can trim the snot off the flanges and not loose all the power.

Will let you know.

Back