Building the Whistle Stop RR

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

KB02

No, it's not a cross over. Right now I have dedicated directional tracks - the inner line travels clockwise and the outer line travels counter clockwise (It's a REALLY big loop).

I hear what you are saying about it being too symmetrical. Not quite sure hat to do about that.

KB02

The thing I love most about forums like this, is that you can see something that someone else has done and it can inspire you to do something on yours.

I decided my tunnel entrances were too plain. I can't remember who was working on it, but someone was building tunnel entrances that inspired me.

Started with my plain tunnels:

Built up the basic framework:

Added some additional wood work:

Painted:

And placed:

KB02

Thanks. I've been debating on whether or not to paint in some Conifers on the backdrop. A row or two closer to the forefront. I've been watching Bob Ross. COnifers are among thew easier trees to paint. :) Happy little trees...

new guy

Thanks. I've been debating on whether or not to paint in some Conifers on the backdrop. A row or two closer to the forefront. I've been watching Bob Ross. COnifers are among thew easier trees to paint. :) Happy little trees...
I preferred watching the old German guy! (Bill Alexander?) "FIRE it IN there!" LOL! He was GREAT and sorely missed!

KB02

After fixing my tunnel entrances, I realized that I ever actually made a support for my bridge! How it never collapsed under the weight of a train I'll never know... :rolleyes:

My first plan was to build up a form of sorts and pour in some plaster. When I realized that to do that properly, I really had to pull up my tracks which I really didn't want to do. BUT, I had plenty of wood left over from the tunnel facades, so plan B went into effect:

I then filled this form up with sand - which I probably didn't need to do, but it looks better from the top side.

Fixing stuff is part of the hobby, especially when you start going into details
I like the crisscross of the beams that stick out in the corners, much better than having them flush and neat.
Nicely done.

KB02

Well, other than getting the turntable built, I haven't done a whole lot on the layout lately, BUT, a little bit of inspiration did hit and, what do you know, the Arbor Day people finally showed up!

This is my first shot at making trees from scratch. I'm not about to package them, open up a store ad quit my day job, but I feel that I don't have to be ashamed of them, either. The birch could be a lot bushier, and maybe not quite as straight, but for a first try, I figure not too bad.

More to do, though... it's a big hillside...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com