Building the Whistle Stop RR

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

KB02

Well, it seems that a bunch of updates are getting posted to layout threads. It's been a while since I have updated this thread. Not a whole lot to update everyone on, though. I've got a few more trees planted above the waterfall and a little more ground cover and ballast here and there, but my two wheeled hobbies (and job) have been taking up a great deal of my time.

I did get this little mini-scene completed though:

Some nice ledges for the train to cut through just before the creek, complete with a few more of Jim's trees.

If you look closely, you can see where the porcupines have been chewing on the bases of the pine trees. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

KB02

Leading up to that ledgy area will be a small swamp that will be preceded by a mountain. The mountain will have a window in the side so you can watch the trains run through the tunnel that will be there. At least that's the plan right now. That should effectively decorate that long, narrow run down that wall pretty well. I posted a thread in the scenery page for some modeling tips.

KB02

Wow. Nearly a year and a half since I updated this thread. With the impending death of Photobucket, most of the photos will disappear in July. Too bad I don’t have the time or patience to move all of them to a different host site.

KB02

I tried Imgur, but when I went I couldn't even get an account established. I kept getting an "Our servers are too busy right now" message. I guess Business is booming for them right now. I ended up going with Flickr. Seems to be working good so far.

KB02

Been nearly a year, time for an update to this thread... (can you all still see the pictures?)

Let's see, I finished off my turn around area with a swamp and scratch build round house...
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...-swamp-a-roundhouse-lights.30348/#post-437436

Then I added an extension off of that which has become a ladder yard (of sorts)...

Now It's time to continue the trek around the room. Here is where I have ended:

I built a simple shelf to hold the track along the wall:

Then a drop in piece to bridge the corner:

I kept this as a drop in piece as the section that is against the concrete (white) wall is all removable as well. Just in case I need to get to the window for any reason. Plus, I think I have managed to take care of the drainage issues that were plaguing my basement with water every spring, but it will be nice if I can easily move sections of the layout if I need to instead of ripping them up completely.

Next, I printed out the track plan and laid it in place:

This is actually the second track plan. One of the benefits of printing out a plan: It might look good "on paper," but when you actually get it laid out, sometimes it just doesn't fit quite right. The first plan, while similar, just didn't work. Even this one needed a bit of altering.

Now it is time for laying roadbed and track... and the obligatory mess that goes with it...

KB02

As the lift out section will have to, well, lift out, I'll need to make sure the rails stay in the same place. Securing some PC ties with gorilla glue then I'll solder the rails down to those. once the track is laid, glued and soldered down, then I'll cut them.

The other side is a bit more tricky. The curves are a bit more gradual on this side:

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com