Building the Quanah Acme & Pacific RR, along with the Frisco, DRGW, BN..............

OK, I am sorry I havent been keeping up with all the good efforts you folks have been up to around here lately, I have looked when I can, your all doing some great work!
The QA&P picked up the lease on EMDX 5, a GP60 demonstrator. The GP60 series were very good locomotives a few RR's just ran the wheels of these things 500 mile days were not uncommon, and these units did it for months at a time without a single failure. I had 4 of them on a unit auto rack train some 60+ cars and boy did we zip home that night. Just the thing these locomotives were made for. A few of the images on the web showed the brake cylinders all had been changed on this unit, so I paints them in primer, per the images. There were 3 of these particular demonstrators, with the early 60 series dynamic brake blisters and those angle nose and cabs (all were 3D printed and designs of Ryan Harris). Hardest part was getting the glued on Dyn/Cab/Nose off the P2K shell. I added a few details like air dryers/ filters, some piping and fuel tank details. The beacon/ air conditioner and horn were added as well as what I think was EMD's design of a antenna atop the cab on the engineers side. These Demo units had like 4 different types of fuel fillers. I tried to match the paint as best I could, got close enough and the weathering took care of the rest. I tried to keep the weathering down a bit as EMD tended to keep these things looking fairly good. I didnt want it looking like it was headed to scrap LOL.
Anyway a few pics of it here on the ready tracks with a couple "Q" mates waiting on a TOFC shooter, headed to El Paso.
View attachment 136606

View attachment 136607

View attachment 136608

View attachment 136609

Thanks for stopping by.

I contacted Ryan Harris via email last month he said he was going to be printing these parts soon again. I sure hope I can get my hands on 2 sets.....

While there are more prototypicaly correct SL-SF cabooses coming into service on my outfit. This seems to bump the others into scrap, sale or re stenciling to the QA&P.

These cabooses both have the red running lights on either end, adjusted by pushing the "bleed rod" from one side to the other.

This is the Atlas SL-SF wide vision version, turned into a QA&P thru "pool" service caboose. I made the decals, and it rides on those GSC "swing hanger" caboose trucks, known as some of the best riding caboose trucks ever made, although friction bearing, they are high speed trucks.

DSC01113.JPG

Also there is a highly modified Athearn WV caboose, also ex SL-SF re-stenciled into the QA&P, Transcontintal cut-off lettering.
DSC01116.JPG

While there are more prototypicaly correct SL-SF cabooses coming into service on my outfit. This seems to bump the others into scrap, sale or re stenciling to the QA&P.

These cabooses both have the red running lights on either end, adjusted by pushing the "bleed rod" from one side to the other.

This is the Atlas SL-SF wide vision version, turned into a QA&P thru "pool" service caboose. I made the decals, and it rides on those GSC "swing hanger" caboose trucks, known as some of the best riding caboose trucks ever made, although friction bearing, they are high speed trucks.

View attachment 140475

Also there is a highly modified Athearn WV caboose, also ex SL-SF re-stenciled into the QA&P, Transcontintal cut-off lettering.
View attachment 140477
I love the cabooses. Sanding tower near where the caboose's are parked?
George

Thanks guys for the comments.
George these are ready tracks for power. When doing consist air tests you have to see that the sanders work when applied and in emergency. Over time a lot of sand accumulates. When I worked in Alliance NE those ready tracks were like walking on a beach.
I worked as a hostler a few years and our brake tests were never that thorough. The pipe fitter would check the sand after leaving the sand towers but that was it. They never checked the sand again, but I can't remember RS3's, E8's or FL9's disturbing sand on an emergency brake application. That must be something that later models had.
George

I think so, all I ever walked were SD40-2' or C30-7's, consists during my short tenure as a machinist. Shortly afterwards got into train then engine service. I enjoy running them more than fixing them :)

The Frisco lettered 3 GP7's for the QA&P. The "Q" as the locals referred to it, was wholly own by the Frisco going way back. So it lettering 3 units to QA&P was kind of a surprise and I wonder why it was done at all.

Here is a link to prototype QA&P 546

Anyways here is my first QA&P locomotive the 546, switching a few cabooses around the Q yard at Quanah on my layout. The unit is an old P2K Geep, I did years ago.
DSCN1274.JPG

DSCN1276.JPG

There is a big BN presence on the QA&P too. I haven't shown very many here at all, so I am gonna try to keep these images on this thread.
I want a few more GP7's to make the 3 QA&P GP7's that plied Frisco rails. It must have been an estate type thing, as one of the undecorated GP7's I got on ebay had GP7 handrails and factory detail parts but the shell in the box was a GP9!. She gave me my$ back and didnt want the engine back. It has set around here waiting on me to figure out what to do with it, I finally gathered the parts to build it out of parts boxes.
BN 1954 1.jpg

Last edited:
When I was working for BN in the 1994 time frame, there were still a few SD9's in use around Alliance NE. The BN 6158 was involved in a wreck that resulted in a few nose modifications and a EMD spartan type cab.
This is an old Rail Power Products modified shell, and an old Athearn chassis, I built this thing in the mid to late 1990's. I should update this model with some better detail parts now available. I have a couple more in different stages of completion. Sometimes I get into a project and then it gets put in a box, and dormant for a while. Need to finish these projects.
The BN 6158.
FS BN6158.JPG

ES BN6158.JPG

And its mate the BN 6232, with a few mods.
DSCN0524.JPG

DSCN0525.JPG

They are almost always assigned to "Hump service" in the main yard, they are very good at that type service, the two of them can pull 60+ cars out onto the east lead and shove up over the hump. Here they are in that service. I usually leave locos out on the MRR for a few weeks then swap the power for other locos.
BN 6158,6220 shoving over the hump.JPG

BN6158 switching 1.JPG

Occasionally they get pressed in to main line service when we bring the 1970's train out of staging for a few weeks. here they are with a couple CB&Q SD7/9's headed east out onto MT1.
DSC00564.JPG

Last edited:
This DCC ready P2K GP7 I am thinking of putting up for sale. It has a new DCC ready chassis and new Athearn wheel axles, weathered, runs real smooth. This unit represents the modified skirts and DW flared spark arrestors, DW 5 chime horn. DW firecracker antenna, DW speed recorder, DA metal grab irons and custom hoghead added.
MU stands were made with DA parts and .040 styrene.
Scalecoat paint and Oddballs decals.
I get attached to these locomotives too much LOL, but maybe its time for it to find a new home.

DSC01633.JPG

DSC01635.JPG

DSC01637.JPG

Back