Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

After Indy was over, I went out to the shop and got my 0n30 loco's. I checked over my shay's gears very carefully and I can't find any cracks in them. I guess that I'll have to set up a test track and run it and my Porter and Davenport just to be sure. I don't remember if I have ever run any of them. Can't see any signs of it on the wheels.
Just for my information, Does anyone know of On30 flex track? I know Peco used to make some but I'm not sure anymore. I'm not sure I want to handlay all my track even on a small layout.

Steve

Steve, First On30 'flex track' is the same as HO flex track. I used Atlas Code 83. No problems. I use Peco Insulfrog 100 turnouts because I needed sharp turns.

My Bmann Shay runs a bit slower than Bmann Climax. I did change out the gears on the Shay. Easy job, if I can do anyone can. 2-truck anythings from Bmann are only found on epray anymore. The reason for 3-trucks is more traction, pulling power, and room for decoders. Jim:)

The ties on the Peco were much larger and not evenly spaced. The gauge is correct on HO flex track but that's about it. I used to order it for a friend years ago but not being a dealer anymore I'm not sure if it's still available. I suppose that HO flex could be used and covered up where it isn't easily seen. Then I could handlay in the obvious places. They also made tie sections for their switches to convert them to narrowgauge.
I have a NWSL 12 ton class A climax in HOn3. I'll post a picture of it. I'm thinking it would be very easy to make one in On30 using HO trucks and parts. Maybe the trucks from a Bachman 45 ton GE. The frame and body would be simple. the boiler and water tank would be more complex but not hard to do.

Steve

I got some pictures uploaded to photobucket so here is the little Climax I was talking about.
P1030286.jpg

P1030285.jpg

I think this will be a simple kitbash project without breaking the bank.
Steve

Jim
That's the HOn3 model, not my kitbash. If yoy want the brass model, be aware that it never ran very well. I think that the motor is burned up right now and I never found a small enough one to replace it.
You can see that it won't be difficult to make it in On30. I think this will be my "getting back into it" project.

Steve

Wow, its taken me three days to read through this thread. Lots of good info. Now to go back and read some of the links on other parts of the building process.
Alan

Byron, No one will accuse me of being a rivet counter. I was talking 'guage.' If I was doing just On30 I would invest in the track in the Micro-Mark catolog. In fact my LHS carries this track. Can't afford it in either place so I'm stuck with Atlas Code 83. I only use my On30 locos and cars for photos. I don't run 'em. Cheers, Jim:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan, Nice to hear you enjoyed yourself. If you learned a thing or two, so much the better! Tell your friends to check it out. Starting mid-July there will be more on building/reworking/remodeling/redoing the left third of the layout.

Some will find that interesting because a perfectly good 30 sq. ft. of layout will bite the dust and be rebuilt. Jim:)

Ah, yes, I used to own one of those. Great little model! Although it had to be re-motered with a NWSL Can Motering kit. Probably not available anymore.
:)

That small Climax is the one piece of equipment that I want and need. I've looked for a year with no luck.:( HO of course. Jim

Ian, That brassie will go for about $650 to $750 I'm guessing. Sometimes folks get a bit carried away and it could go to $900. Ridiculous really, but collectors are a different breed and good luck to them. If I had the loot I would buy it and you can bet your bottom dollar you would see it painted, lettered, weather, and running on the PCM&T Co. layout. Jim:)

Ended up going for $300.69. Not too shabby for such a unique model. If only I could bring myself to start playing the lottery...

Ian, Who knew? I won a bid earlier on an item for $100. That put me out of the running for the Shay. Possibly the phrase, 'tight mechanism', put some folks off. If my wife didn't control the purse strings around here I was willing to go $400. Bummer. That $100 cost me! Maybe next time. Thanks. Jim:confused:

Ended up going for $300.69. Not too shabby for such a unique model. If only I could bring myself to start playing the lottery...
It's really not all that bad. ebay does all the bidding for you. All you do is place one bid, your top bid and ebay will do everything else.
If, for instance, it's a 3 day auction, just check back in 3 days to see if you won it.
It's like eatin' lettuce... there's nothin' to it, anymore.

That model cost me $150 back in the middle 80's, BTW. $300 was not a bad price. :) I guess it's all relative, though...

:)

Railrunner, This model I already have and it's in a few pictures in this thread. Mine is static however. Jim:)

I think the second photo also benefits from the cropping - the upper corner area where the backdrop transition is doesn't appear in the second photo. This small item seems to better complete the illusion.

Ian, Excellent point. I have the cropped photo, but I put this original in just to see who's paying attention. High marks for you. Thanks, Jim:)

You know Jim it's really sad that this shiny new Loco broke down in such an inconvenient place. I hope the crew can make repairs and get it going quickly.

Back