Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

I didn't need this picture of the bridge anymore, so I decided to mount it where the real model would go, just to see how it looks.

Canyon 1.jpg

Last edited:
In the last photo of the bridge upside down on the counter and now seeing the space it will occupy, that thing is immense. At times it was a bit difficult to realize the scale of it. Really looking forward to see the completed bridge installed and trains running over it.

I hope not too much sun comes through that window....it could heat and warp the plastic and/or fade the paint really badly...are the windows UV tinted? Over time UV will make styrene very brittle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm looking at options for window treatment. Some are quite simple while others are more elaborate. In the end, they all block UV to some degree or another.

I'm looking at options for window treatment. Some are quite simple while others are more elaborate. In the end, they all block UV to some degree or another.

I would think that you would have a backdrop made that would include the 'real canyon' by taking a frame from one of the many videos and having it enlarged - then work your scenery into it? Maybe this is what you already have planned?
BTW: Back to cutting decking tonight, and as my truck has to go to the shop for front brakes and the dreaded smog test (which I was told two years ago that it may not pass this time around), I will be back on my feet with the Spousal Unit away. That's good - more time to saw away!

Heck, trucks can go forever without the right maintenance. Just like Harleys.
I've been catching up some work on the classification yard while I figure the best way to build the scenery for the bridge.

The beams arrived today that Sherrel made for me. They will work just fine.
I'm waiting on the remainder of the Open Web Truss parts from Plastruct so I can finish the cross lattice beams underneath the bridge.
Also have to build the scenery on the layout for the bridge to set into.

Bundles.jpg

0316171440.jpg

0327171650.jpg

Last edited:
Chet - no, there is quite a bit of work yet to be done. After the remaining lattice work is done, I have to start installing the extensive inspection walkways and hand railings. That will be the most intensive work as the railing are all 3" angle iron on the real bridge. There is a walk way the entire length of the bridge that follows the arch. Then there are ladders on the out side of the bridge as well as a hand railing along each side of the top deck.
Probably another month or so of work. Oh, and then after all the plastic is in place, then I will be applying the rivets and then painting it, so make that another few weeks.

wow-WEE - That is just OUTSTANDING!
You must be getting really excited about how it is shaping up?
Please see my post in the Coffee Shop!
You should have the remaining 922 deck beams on Saturday.

That walkway and all of the railings and ladders are going to be some really delicate work. Hope you have a padded room to work in and some alcohol handy.

Many of today's modelers seem to look upon doing a project such as this to be overwhelming and hard work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, are you finding this project to be enjoyable? Many of today's modelers seem to look upon doing a project such as this to be overwhelming and hard work.

Yes, very enjoyable. Much like my day job, I'm a logistician for military equipment procurement. I deal with the long term planning and how to ensure we end up with what we want and that it is supportable. The initial planning to determine if it was affordable and what other options were available. Then the trade offs of to what degree of accuracy I was going to work toward. The source of material played a factor in that. The timeline isn't critical because this is just a hobby whereas a military product would need to coordinate with the units that would receive the new system for training, maintenance and storage to name a few factors. For my military products, documentation is a major factor but for this, I'm just keeping track of the receipts and documenting the progress in this thread along with the pictures and video.

Yes, very enjoyable. Much like my day job, I'm a logistician for military equipment procurement. I deal with the long term planning and how to ensure we end up with what we want and that it is supportable. The initial planning to determine if it was affordable and what other options were available. Then the trade offs of to what degree of accuracy I was going to work toward. The source of material played a factor in that. The timeline isn't critical because this is just a hobby whereas a military product would need to coordinate with the units that would receive the new system for training, maintenance and storage to name a few factors. For my military products, documentation is a major factor but for this, I'm just keeping track of the receipts and documenting the progress in this thread along with the pictures and video.

I know I was surprised at the cost you mentioned earlier, do you have an updated tab on the project? I think my trestle for Hoodoo Gulch cost less than $10.00 for the dowels and balsawood and the big expense was the bridge track from Micro Engineering! Not including the abutments and the Atlas Through Girder Bridge to the left in the photo. Add all that together and there might have been $30.00-$40.00 for the project. You have a far bigger project, without doubt!

HPIM7371.JPG

Glad that they showed up, KEN in VA . You should have enough extras to throw out any that may be too far off scale, or possibly warped a little.
I still look at the work that you have done and I am astounded at the progress that you have made. That is going to be an awesome structure, for sure!

32 pages of this build! Good job. The bridge is coming along very, very nicely. I had to go back to page one to see what the real bridge looks like to get feel for how much is left. With all the cat walks, below and hand rails along the bridge deck, there is more than enough building, to keep you going another 32 pages if you wanted. Considering that you've only been at it for 3 moths (Dec. 18th, 2016 to today, March 25th, 2017) You've gotten a ton of work done and I have to say the work you have done, has been exceptional!!

Back