Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

This is it on the upper walkway. Attached in the middle with angle to a cross brace and the handrail itself is riveted to the gusset. You have to crawl to go under that portion. I believe the angle iron was all the same size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 224
That crossbeam appears to be a flat panel rather than an I beam with angle iron bracing riveted to it to stiffen it. Wonder if it has the same on the other side, or is just flat. Oddly the lower walkway that passes under that crossbeam seems to be directly beneath the upper one, so what happens where they intersect? The lower one, where it truncates below the crossbeam then, going by the previous photo, has a stepway that goes downward at about a 45deg angle to somewhere.

Toot - This picture is standing at the very end of the bridge looking toward the other end. The walkway on the bottom follows the lower arch of the bridge and eventually turns into a stairway that you can see in other pictures that Ron previously posted. Ron was probably standing on the end support concrete when he took this picture. I think the lower walkway is just this side of the upper walkway where they come up against the bulkhead wall at the end of the bridge, just behind where Ron was standing to take this picture. There is a ladder going from the lower walkway to the upper walkway just to the right of where Ron was standing here.
You can see in the picture below the ladder going from the lower to the upper walkway.

canyon-diablo-bridge_4587721646_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The lower walkway is just under the upper walkway. The same latter is used to access both. You have to duck (probably get on your hands and knees) to access the lower walkway at this point. Very crude, but serves its purpose.
dang it, posted sideways! I don't know how to fix that!

Toot- those are actually I Beams.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 208
image1_zpsgqndm2xa.png

That was a bit convoluted to get that back on here for me anyway. Had to copy and paste to my computers photo album, edit it to turn it right way up and then copy it into a photobucket album (wouldn't directly copy and paste from my computer) and copy and paste to the Quick Reply.

Interesting how the side rails on that ladder oppose each other. I wonder if there is a reason for this?

The rungs of the ladder needed something to attach to. I would only think the orientation of the angle piece was one way or the other coin flip.

Got motivated to do some more work on the bridge tonight.
Installed the upper cross beams in the end section. I'll have to do this across the whole bridge before I can install the upper walkway.
The first picture gives you an idea where I am working on it.
The second picture gives you the details of it. There are attachment plates at each end of the cross beams, top and bottom. And another plate where the cross beams meet in the middle.
Once again, this has to be done with the bridge upside down.

Upper Cross Beams 2.jpg

Upper Cross Beams 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This past week has been very busy. Not to much attention to the bridge until today. Got a little more work done on it.
One of the problems I'm having is bending over slightly to work on it. My back is killing me by the time I get two of the upper cross bracings done. This is almost to the half way point. The next feature will be the walkways. I'll install the upper walkways first then the bridge can be turned right side up so I can install the lower walkways.

Upper Cross Beams 2.jpg

Last edited:
Going to be a real masterpiece when this is done and installed. Such a focal point for the whole railroad.

Going to be a real masterpiece when this is done and installed. Such a focal point for the whole railroad.

Actually, there is a mountain range that is over 25 feet from end to end and over 7 feet high. Another primary feature is the operating signal system, then there is the intermodal facility that is about 50 feet from end to end. Yeah it will fit right in.

Really looking good Ken. I can see where the hunching over could be bad for your hace. Don't over do it.

Back