Building Re-Purposing

Waggs

Hi all, I need some help and advice. I few days ago I bought some buildings from a seller on Ebay. I received them in the mail on Thursday. Of all the 89 or nine I got there was one that really needed help. 3 of them were still in kit form and 4 of them were built ok but I plan on adding some glue just to reinforce everything. But this one has some real problems. First off, every glue joint was really loose, secondly there were odds and ends glued about like it was suppose to be freight or something, and third, there's a big gaping hole that looks like it was suppose to have another building there or something. I have no idea what so I'm going to ask for help in telling what may have gone there or what to do with this hole. I was thinking of trying to find something that would make it look like a dump site for a bottom dump rail car to pull up on and drop its load and then out to the side have some storage silos or something to kind of make it fit together. If I do this, where would I find some sort of grating or what can I get away with using. Next, I would need to add an auger to carry the payload to the silos, any suggestions?

Thank so much for letting me pick your brains.

I would take a Dremel or razor saw and cut the base off of it. Then just use the building any way you want. The base does not look realistic anyway, and that will solve your problem quickly without any expense.

Thanks Rlundy90, I was thinking the same thing too, just didn't know how it would look.
One other thing, that door on the back (3rd photo) is missing and need to find something to make a door out of, where do people get building materials like for a door, and corrugated steel?

You can make it out of wood or styrene very easily. These are both available at most hobby stores in all shapes and sizes. I use Cambell Scale Models for my corrugated stuff, but there are other manufacturers as well. If you don't have a hobby store near you there are lots of online places as well.

Due to my wife's and mine health issues, I don't get out of the house much so I do most of my shopping online. These issues have gotten so bad that I'm tearing down a 100 gallon salt water aquarium and selling it. It is too much to maintain so I figured I'd get my N scale train stuff out and have it for my hobby. Less work and strain on my back and if I can't or don't feel like working on it I can take a break. The aquarium has to be taken care of rather I feel like it or not.

Do you suggest any online suppliers? Thanks

Well, I sort of took your advice and did cut that area off but, since I could sleep anyway, I sat here and started messing with the part I cut off and tinkering with it and cutting that part apart and came up with a pretty good fix if I do say so myself. What do you think? With some paint and maybe some texture you won't know what had been there.

Looks much better Waggs. If you look under General Discussions there is a sticky thread on nothing but Online suppliers. If there is anything you are looking for that you can't find PM me and I can probably help you out.
I think, if you want to post photos full size you have to do it through a web based picture hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr.

Thanks for all your comments and offers of help. I thought it looked pretty good myself when you consider what I started with. I figured out the photo thumbnail thing and it's showing right. I guess it was just me. Thanks again.

Looks much better Waggs. If you look under General Discussions there is a sticky thread on nothing but Online suppliers. If there is anything you are looking for that you can't find PM me and I can probably help you out.
I think, if you want to post photos full size you have to do it through a web based picture hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr.

Thanks Rlundy90, You are very helpful and I do appreciate that very much. I appreciate all the help I get from anyone who is willing to share their knowledge without wanting to make you feel like I should just shut up and read. Thanks again.

Back