Bowser Locos

gabby

Bob Hayes
Anybody have anything to do with Bowser locos? What do they run like etc?

I'm looking at getting a couple but have never had anything to do with them before.

Thanks in advance

I haven't had all that much experience with Bowsers specifically, but they were similar in some respects to Mantuas. The main thing about the originals in both lines was the old open-frame motors with direct connection of the motor shaft to the bull gear on the main driver axle. Not that this was bad, but compared to modern can motors with flywheels, etc., could have been better. I'm not sure if the siderods connecting Bowser drivers were one-piece or segmented like the Mantuas. The seqmented siderods are better as they allow for some flexibility in the ability to negotiate rough track. If they are one-piece, it isn't all that big deal. My only objection to most of the Bowser steam locomotives is that they were primarily modeled after Pennsy hogs, and I model the Burlington. :cool: Of course a Bowser with the Belpaire firebox would be just right for the Great Northern. Oh, no! Don't get me thinking along those lines! I've got too many Mantuas now! ;)

Which Bowser engines are you talking about, specifically?The old Penn Line steam engine kits, or the new diesels?

I bought a couple of the C630s a couple years ago. They have been sitting on a siding now for quite some time for reasons I don't remember. I'm sure I would be running them if they were good.

I've built dozens of Bowser steam locos. If the drivers were all quartered on the same quarterer the engine will run fine. I swapped the open frame motors for Helix Humpers, which have lower gearing and has a can with flywheel. They did make USRA-ish 2-8-2's, 4-8-2's and 2-10-2's and also a Challenger and a Big Boy, but no decent tenders.

Mate I'm looking at the C430 Century or the C630

I got a C630 and it's very nice cosmetically. Haven't run it except to test, but it seemed okay there also. It did come with the line going to the horn broken loose from the cab mounting point but that was easily fixed with a drop of CA and was likely more the fault of Warehouse Wayne and Postman Pete than Bowser.

Gang things don't sound too positive out there in train land.

I must admit I havn't seen any either static or running but by going off the comments so far I might hang off

Thanks for all the responses

Bowsers newer diesels are very nice models. The C630M is a great running and looking engine. The sound is very nice too. The Baldwin 4-4-1000's are also nice. The sound in these is out standing. I would not hesitate to recommend Bowser's latest offerings.

Gang things don't sound too positive out there in train land.

I must admit I havn't seen any either static or running but by going off the comments so far I might hang off

Thanks for all the responses

If you took my comments as negative you misunderstood. My new C630 got damaged in shipping, but that's hardly Bowser's fault. As far as I can tell it does run well (though like I said I haven't run it very much so far), and it does look really good with lots of detail. I don't, of course, have any experience with older Bowser but this new one I bought just a couple months ago seems to be a good locomotive.

So anyway, thought I'd throw that out there just in case you thought I wasn't putting in a good word. I am. I just can't be more enthusiastic because admittedly I haven't exactly stress-tested it to see how it holds up for the long haul :)

The 2 Bowser diesels I own are smooth, quiet and are great pullers with plenty of weight, although its not the model your interested in. The majority of Bowser's diesels used to be made by Stewart, as Bowser bought them out several years ago, and still uses those molds and mechanisms.

I just ordered another Baldwin S-12, this one with decoder and sound installed. Should have it by Tuesday. I have several of the older C series Alcos. the C-628 runs like a charm, the C-630 is a bit rough. My Bowser - Stewart Fs are nice runners, and I really enjoy the performance of the Baldwin Switchers.

Joe

I think the C430 is their nicest road diesel. It looks great, is a very smooth, quiet runner, and the sound in the sound versions is veery good.
I also have a DS 4-4-1000, C628 and C630, as well as an AS616. Of all of them, the AS616 is the only one I would consider marginal, and that is only because of the 4 axle pickup on a 6 axle engine, and that has been taken care of in the latest run of them.

I think the C430 is their nicest road diesel. It looks great, is a very smooth, quiet runner, and the sound in the sound versions is veery good.
I also have a DS 4-4-1000, C628 and C630, as well as an AS616. Of all of them, the AS616 is the only one I would consider marginal, and that is only because of the 4 axle pickup on a 6 axle engine, and that has been taken care of in the latest run of them.

From my viewpoint beauty of Bowser and Bowser - Stewart is that they produce the locomotives, freight cars and Cabin cars that I need for my late 1960s - early 1970s modeling interest. That includes decent renditions of cab units, Baldwins and Big Alcos. I don't have the AS616, but I do have a AS-16 which borders on marginal. Otherwise, they are good runners.

Joe

Thier diesels are some of the closest to Kato quality and running qualities. Kato set the bar super high and seems that everybody is striving for it. Bowser is right up there. I personaly would to see them reissue the steam, but ready to run with the super detail sets installed and can motors. Bowser steam can pull most any other steamer on the market and its train backwards if built correctly. I have built several challengers, a M1a mountain and a K4 pacific. Thier diesel side came when they got ahold of the Stewart line of diesels and rolled it into the Bowser/Englishes family of brands. Cheers Mike

Thier diesels are some of the closest to Kato quality and running qualities. Kato set the bar super high and seems that everybody is striving for it. Bowser is right up there. I personaly would to see them reissue the steam, but ready to run with the super detail sets installed and can motors. Bowser steam can pull most any other steamer on the market and its train backwards if built correctly. I have built several challengers, a M1a mountain and a K4 pacific. Thier diesel side came when they got ahold of the Stewart line of diesels and rolled it into the Bowser/Englishes family of brands. Cheers Mike

Last week, I received a Bowser Baldwin S12, with LocSound and Executive Line detailing. Out of the box, it ran well, was a good pulling engine, looked good and the sound was surprisingly dead on for my recollection of a Baldwin S12. Yesterday, I was able to get the other road number, also equipped with sound and Executive line detailing.
I coupled them together and ran them pulling a short train around the layout. They are at this point out of box, with no tweaking. they are still running with the default designation 0003, and the speed match is almost perfect. They sound great, look good, and run well together.
BRS12m consist - 5-28-2014.jpg

Joe

Back