BNSF Empty Coal Train

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Thought i would share my new 6 pack of Walthers Gold Line 100-Ton 3-bay coal hoppers i got off e-bay for a pretty good price last week, just got them in the mail today :D The engines in the pics are works of progress, so bare with me :D

SL372679.png

SL372681.png

SL372683.png

SL372687.png

SL372688.png

SL372689.png

SL372690.png

SL372691.png

SL372693.png

SL372694.png

The coal hoppers came with KADEE #5 couplers and metal wheels. They have crisp lettering and painting too, very nice cars from Walthers :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice cars Josh! I've always had a soft spot in my head.... er heart for coal trains.
I've got around 90 walthers hoppers.
You might want to turn car #645951 around to save the guys at the dumper a little grief.

Nice cars Josh! I've always had a soft spot in my head.... er heart for coal trains.
I've got around 90 walthers hoppers.
You might want to turn car #645951 around to save the guys at the dumper a little grief.

Thanks Rico :D

I goofed, all the cars are not facing the same way as you mentioned, another member mentioned this as well on another forum :eek: LOL. Ill get it right next time :D

WOW 90 of them huh? Are they all the same type of hoppers or all different 6 packs? I wanna get a bunch more of these, as well as some Bethgons and RD4's for BNSF, BN, or UP, and ill consider CSX too lol

I goofed, all the cars are not facing the same way as you mentioned, another member mentioned this as well on another forum :eek: LOL. Ill get it right next time :D

WOW 90 of them huh? Are they all the same type of hoppers or all different 6 packs? I wanna get a bunch more of these, as well as some Bethgons and RD4's for BNSF, BN, or UP, and ill consider CSX too lol

24 of the cars are the black and white 100 tonners (4 different 6 packs) and the remainder are all silver and green Bethgons (various 6 packs with some repeats renumbered ).
All are Burlington Northern.
Originally I was going to have 30 getting loaded, 30 en route, and 30 getting dumped as a cycle. Now I think I'll thin down the Bethgons as coal trains won't play as big a role on the new layout.
As for the cars facing the wrong way, we used to break up 113 car trains and reassemble them all mixed up. I'm sure that drove someone nuts back at the load out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys :D

Paul, thats one nice little diorama, i love the weathering :D

Rico, thats awesome!! I wish i had that many coal hoppers lol. Coal hoppers have always been one of my favorites, but right now i only have a 6 pack of LBF BNSF Bethgons and a 6 pack of these BNSF Walthers ones....

If you decide to sell some of yours, i might be interested in some :D

Thanks Guys :D

Paul, thats one nice little diorama, i love the weathering :D

Thanks, it is much more than just a diorama though. It's actually a mini-mo Free-mo module and is set up to automatically load coal into (slightly modified) hoppers and gons.

Not real coal but Woodland Scenics fine ballast in this photo. Static electricity causes some problems with finer materials.

4bill3.jpg

You can see a video of the rotary dumper here:
http://members.trainorders.com/pmack/temp/Pauls050904.mov
but beware it is a 14Mb quicktime movie.

That is AWESOME!! I want one of those loaders and rotary dumpers!! lol. How much would they set me back? Do you custom build them or is that the Walthers Rotary Dumper?

Since I have completely hijacked your thread now...The loadout was easier than the dumper which is an extensively reworked Walthers kit and you can find its complete story on my website listed in my signature. I thought the loadout was to scale, more or less, but then found out that it should be 50% bigger diameter and nearly twice as tall to match the new loadouts at the Black Thunder mine in WY.

Since I have completely hijacked your thread now...The loadout was easier than the dumper which is an extensively reworked Walthers kit and you can find its complete story on my website listed in my signature. I thought the loadout was to scale, more or less, but then found out that it should be 50% bigger diameter and nearly twice as tall to match the new loadouts at the Black Thunder mine in WY.

Cool thanks, ill check that link out :D

Do you build and sell these working flood loaders and rotary dumpers or did you just make these for yourself on your own layout? Man that would be sweet to have a operating coal flood loader and a operating rotary dumper!

I made them for fun, to see if I could do it. I hope they can be part of a layout someday. As far as cost, what is 60-100 hrs labor worth, assuming a rotary dumper kit can be found?

I made them for fun, to see if I could do it. I hope they can be part of a layout someday. As far as cost, what is 60-100 hrs labor worth, assuming a rotary dumper kit can be found?

LOL that is quite a bit of time you got there. Maybe someday i will attempt to build something like the Rotary Dumper and Working Flood Loader, well first i should prolly have a need for them lol

I've got BN and CSX sets for sale.

How much are they Mac?

$60 a set plus shipping.

Walthers Six Pack Bethgon BN 932-5337

Walthers Six Pack Bethgon CSX 932-5338

I removed the knock-off end couplers and installed Kadee 5's. They haven't been ran except for display on my test track. No damage. Original boxes. Boxes show light wear.

PIC's if you want.

Jacob

Back