BN engines

TRAINNUT

85D90B11-F74C-4CE6-A3DD-85B073D9196E.jpeg

Out of all Bn Engines which engine is your most favorite or least favorite. My favorite is the Executive Paint scheme on the F units

I recently took this rebuilt GP30, now GP39E BN designation, from Oregon to a show in Indiana. This model is about 20 years old now and got its best comment ever, "What in the name of everything GP30 is that?!" I guess he'd never seen one before. In the late 80s and early 90s, BN rebuilt a lot of older 4 axle power including some high hood GP30s from the Southern railway. In the rebuild, high hood units got a new cab and electronics/intake room creating a very distinct look. After this trip, I had to reattach the horn and it looks like at some time the sunshade got reattached a bit wonky. I've also been saying for about 20 years I should make a set of wire handrails for it.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the pinstripe separating the green and black. Nothing wrong with the classic but it makes a good thing even better.

27680422.jpg

And because everyone that got one of the new Scale Trains SD40-2B is posting a photo of it, here is my 15 year old model with a pinstripe, as it appeared ca 1996.

7502a.jpg

I recently took this rebuilt GP30, now GP39E BN designation, from Oregon to a show in Indiana. This model is about 20 years old now and got its best comment ever, "What in the name of everything GP30 is that?!" I guess he'd never seen one before. In the late 80s and early 90s, BN rebuilt a lot of older 4 axle power including some high hood GP30s from the Southern railway. In the rebuild, high hood units got a new cab and electronics/intake room creating a very distinct look. After this trip, I had to reattach the horn and it looks like at some time the sunshade got reattached a bit wonky. I've also been saying for about 20 years I should make a set of wire handrails for it.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the pinstripe separating the green and black. Nothing wrong with the classic but it makes a good thing even better.

View attachment 186383

And because everyone that got one of the new Scale Trains SD40-2B is posting a photo of it, here is my 15 year old model with a pinstripe, as it appeared ca 1996.

View attachment 186385
Last year while traveling west along the "High Line" in North Dakota i was pacing a westbound which had a rebuilt GP30 just like that. It was painted in BNSF scheme and if i knew they are so rare now, i would have made effort to grab a good shot of it. I really don't have a favorite BN engine, as they had many interesting models and rebuilds. I did always like the SD60M and SD60I though and this "been there done that" example was chilling at the west end of Williston yard:
20230731_104107-1.jpg
20230731_104043-1.jpg

Back