blue line or not

Kurt

what is the difference between BLI blue line and BLI standard PARAGON2 loco's?

Kurt the uninformed retired firefighter:confused:

Kurt,
I have models from both lines and I believe that the main difference is Blueline locos are sound equipped and DCC ready while Paragon2 locos have sound and already have DCC. There might also be a few differences in the quality of sound and/or detail but to my untrained eyes/ears I don't notice much of a difference in either. I hope this helps!

Happy Modeling,
conrailocs

The Blueline engines are regular BLI items that have a minimal sound decoder. In addition to the lack of motor control, there are fewer and less sophisticated sound controls. Diesels have fewer notch sounds, and the sounds don't have the same reponses as the Paragon 2 engines. Paragon 2 has the same sounds, just more of them, and the sounds respond differently to loads and speed than the Blueline engines.

AFAIK, although I own only one BlueLine steamer (more about it in a second...), there is only one difference....the BlueLine locomotives have no motive control except what your DC transformer allows you. That is, there is no DCC decoder or component of one that controls the motor. It is only a DC sound decoder. Period.

The Paragon 2 series, of which I have several, are really very good, on par with the quality BLI managed early in their marketing career ten years ago. They have a single decoder, but it is DCC and sound. Therefore, it has comprehensive motor control, and sound, but also smoke.

The only BlueLine steamer I have is a refurbished A Class 2-6-6-4 from the Norfolk & Western. I had my buddy install a QSI Titan in it. ZOWEE!!! That is one suh-weeet piece of hardware. Both the decoder and engine are top drawer in my estimation.

I have several blueline engines that run fine on DC as well as the QSI engines. I also have 2 Paragon 2 engines that would not run very well on DC. They might be fine on DCC. I had to send both back to Broadway , one several time to get them to run smooth on DC. The sound and motion would surge up and down on low speed to mid range.

Back