Blocks

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
Well I've come to the stage where I have to start figuring out how to wire my two modules in order to drill holes/prep for wiring. I always found wiring a bit challenging and its my least favourite aspect of the hobby.

The modules are constructed of 1" extruded foam glued to a hollow core door with 3/4 inch thick fascia all around the edges. Fascia drops 2 7/8 below the bottom of the module.

I'm going with manual operated turnouts for now, but would like to prepare them for future switch machines when the modules are incorporated into a future layout. I think this will involve drilling holes under the switches throw bar, etc.

I'm all ears on how to wire my track plan DC. Also suggestion on how to do the electrical blocks.

Hi,

There are a couple of schools of thought on where to separate blocks.
On the plan below, I've put a red circle where I would gap both rails to create a separate block. I've also put a blue circle where you could create a block in the siding. I'd do it, but it depends on how you intend to operate.

Practically, you only need to gap one rail to the engine shed. I've indicated to gap both rails by default based on the images of your turnouts.

My rules for creating blocks: (one man's opinion ... :) )
1. At the diverging end of turnouts, if it makes sense. e.g. you wouldn't put gaps after every turnout in a yard ladder.
2. Anywhere you will want to isolate an engine.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
You would want blocks if you plan to have more than one engine on the railroad. So block boundaries would depend on where you expect your engines to be. Think about how you expect operation to go, use pieces of paper to simulate cars and engines to see where they may go.

As for your turnout control. You can start with manual throws and then offset the throw with a short rod and mount the motor/coil underneath, but not directly under the track.

Hi,

There are a couple of schools of thought on where to separate blocks.
On the plan below, I've put a red circle where I would gap both rails to create a separate block. I've also put a blue circle where you could create a block in the siding. I'd do it, but it depends on how you intend to operate.

Practically, you only need to gap one rail to the engine shed. I've indicated to gap both rails by default based on the images of your turnouts.

My rules for creating blocks: (one man's opinion ... :) )
1. At the diverging end of turnouts, if it makes sense. e.g. you wouldn't put gaps after every turnout in a yard ladder.
2. Anywhere you will want to isolate an engine.

Hope this helps.

Chris

It helps a lot. Thanks especially for the diagram!

You would want blocks if you plan to have more than one engine on the railroad. So block boundaries would depend on where you expect your engines to be. Think about how you expect operation to go, use pieces of paper to simulate cars and engines to see where they may go.

As for your turnout control. You can start with manual throws and then offset the throw with a short rod and mount the motor/coil underneath, but not directly under the track.

I will do that. I probably will have maximum of 2 - a loco and a doodle bug.

Back