BLI Penn T1 #5517

petey

Hello Folks,
I have recently acquired a used #5517, received w/o any paperwork. I believe it to be a model #016. Wrote BLI to ask what Op Manual to print. They couldn't say, as they sometimes use Manuals that apply to various models. I thought this an odd answer---somewhere along the line, somebody at BLI had to decide which Manual to enclose with the model.
I have no problem with BLI, they have been good to me, and did an out-of-warranty repair for nothing.

Anyway this is the story: I can't access the SMPH Verbal, and in 'Neutral' I get a 'water injector' sound, rather then the verbal 'Status info', on F10.
Particulars: this is an earlier model(no smoke--plastic body--no cab lights--no numberboard lights, and I believe this to be a QSI system). There is another anomaly-- F12-rather than the water injector sound, in Neutral(which appears to have been moved to F10), I get the 'short air let off', instead.

I know that it is possible to move functions to different keys, but I can't imagine anyone eliminating SMPH & Status. Has it been disabled?
If anyone has a copy of the Manual for the early T1s, I would like to get same.

I run w/a MRC Tech 6, which provides no visual or audio response in programming.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a reset is in order. To do this:
Set CV49 to 128
Set CV50 to 255
Set CV56 to 113

If it "took", you will hear three whistle toots.

It is a good idea, even when receiving a brand spanking new, unopened, locomotive with any kind of decoder, to do a full factory reset of the decoder first thing. It's a known and sure start-point. Every QSI that I own, including the modern Titan, announces the CV value change, so if this one does not, it has been 'fiddled with'. Best to do what Terry sez.

Thanks for the response Terry.
I'll try the CV changes. I don't have a programming track, just my layout.
The manual you reference is one I looked at before. It references QUARC and a reed. I didn't get the reed, although I have another with one. My loco has QUARC?
My loco also has a potentiometer in the tender for volume control.

Hi Crandell,
I've never been confronted with the need to reset a new loco, although I notice the referenced manual recommends this.

Terry,
I guess CV8 to 08 doesn't work with this loco.

Terry,
I guess CV8 to 08 doesn't work with this loco.
That's right. If you have any QSI equipped engines, the magnetic wand from them will work. I had a QSI equipped engine that had to be powered up on regular DC and reset with the wand, nothing else would work.

Thanks for the response Terry.
I'll try the CV changes. I don't have a programming track, just my layout.
The manual you reference is one I looked at before. It references QUARC and a reed. I didn't get the reed, although I have another with one. My loco has QUARC?
My loco also has a potentiometer in the tender for volume control.

Hello Terry,
Well, I went ahead and did it, this morning.
First I tried resetting using the MRC 'universal' factory reset procedure- "9,9". No success.
Second I used the three CVs. Second try I got this: "CV49 = 1 - 128; CV50 = 2 - 255"; CV56 no verbal, but "got 3 toots".
Tried F10 did not get expected response from loco. I think I'm getting a short air let-off in F&R; still getting water injector in neutral.
I've looked at some of my other BLI steam, the F10, 11, 12 indicate short air let-off for these functions. I'm beginning to wonder if the decoder has been replaced by a later unit.
I haven't tried the wand I found in my RSD15; don't know exactly where to put it anyway.
I note in V3.1, April 2006, for Loco w/Pots, that the CVs supported, 56.253 (you would punch this in as CV56 to 253?) provides "Version Build Info" and 62 is for "Auto CV Verbal Feedback (enabled)". I presume this is working, or I wouldn't be getting verbals with the CV input, or does this CV control the sounds I'm missing. CV64 Inquiry Verbal Readout, is also listed; I have no idea what this is.
Next step, write QSI & BLI.

Hello Terry,
Well, I went ahead and did it, this morning.
First I tried resetting using the MRC 'universal' factory reset procedure- "9,9". No success.
Second I used the three CVs. Second try I got this: "CV49 = 1 - 128; CV50 = 2 - 255"; CV56 no verbal, but "got 3 toots".
Tried F10 did not get expected response from loco. I think I'm getting a short air let-off in F&R; still getting water injector in neutral.
I've looked at some of my other BLI steam, the F10, 11, 12 indicate short air let-off for these functions. I'm beginning to wonder if the decoder has been replaced by a later unit.
I haven't tried the wand I found in my RSD15; don't know exactly where to put it anyway.
I note in V3.1, April 2006, for Loco w/Pots, that the CVs supported, 56.253 (you would punch this in as CV56 to 253?) provides "Version Build Info" and 62 is for "Auto CV Verbal Feedback (enabled)". I presume this is working, or I wouldn't be getting verbals with the CV input, or does this CV control the sounds I'm missing. CV64 Inquiry Verbal Readout, is also listed; I have no idea what this is.
Next step, write QSI & BLI.
In my post earlier, I know you need to remove and re-apply power to complete the reset procedure. I forgot to include that.
What city do you live in? I have some QSI decoders and chips, as well as the Quantum Programmer.

Terry,
I did the reset, turned off power for 20 seconds, and back on, no change.
I don't know what you're thinking, but I'm going to wait until I get responses from BLI & or QSI. So I have a better idea of what the issue might be.
Thank you.

You know, I had a very early BLI/QSI M1, and it wouldn't do what you are expecting. In fact, I had a 2-8-2 with the same thing. It turned out it was a very early QSI, and wouldn't support those features. I ended up getting a couple of upgrade chips, and installed them in the engines. They work and sound much better now, and the $38 per engine I spent was well worth it. You can go to www.qsisolutions.com, get their phone number, and call Norm Stencil there. They can sell you a chip for your 4-4-4-4, which you can install yourself.

Terry,
The problem may be that I simply have the wrong internet manual from QSI & BLI, but w/o any guidance, I picked the only one I could find for a loco with a potentiometer. So I may be looking at a Function list that isn't correct for the model; it may not have SMPH & Status. My question was made to determine whether the loco had these sounds, as built, or not. I can live with a version that wasn't built with them.
I'll look up the chip suggestion.
Thanks for your interest and responses. I'll report what guidance I get from QSI & BLI.

Back