BLI Blueline SD9 running bad

joem5127

I picked up a BLI Blueline SD9 with sound on Friday. It runs " jerky" and the sound turns off after a few minutes of running. I'm running it on DC and plan to switch to DCC very soon. Is this just part of running a sound loco on DC and these problems will go away with DCC or is something wrong? All my other locos run fine so I'm sure my track is clean and the power is good.

Something is amiss. You may have a bad solder inside, poor wiper contact due to dirt or the wiper being bent or dirty (oil or grease, maybe?), bad wire contact to the speaker, bad speaker, any number of possibilities. The jerky motion suggests cut-out from the rails to the motor, and since the sound is also iffy, there must be a problem between the wheels and the motor and sound decoder. So, I would concentrate my attention around the wheels and pickups, including their leads to the devices.

It could also be dirty tire surfaces and rails.

One, contact BLI. Ask if you should use some wiper cleaning lube. If they say yes, test that. They might request that you send it back to them.

Back