Birdie's Place

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
Birdie's Place - An O scale building set in 1935, part of a timber and Tie company town in rural southern Alabama. It will be added to the club On30 layout.
This is a very basic DPM kit consisting of cast polyester walls, inset door and windows, a sheet plastic roof and clear plastic sheets to cut out for windows. Three square plastic roof support pieces were not used.
1 all kit parts.jpg

Part clean up, sanding and painting required several hours of time.
2 cleaned & painted.jpg

Since this is such a basic kit without any accessories or signage, I had to scratch build a few things. The signage, pool tables, table and chairs, stove pipe, lean-to roof, trash barrel and work bench with saws were all made. The HO barrel and junk pile are commercial details. The saws on the work bench are pieces of a scroll saw blade glued to small pieces of dowel.
3 scratch build.jpg

The windows are cut and installed before the walls were assembled together. Curtains and shades were easier to glue to the windows before assembly. A light weathering wash was app[ied to the walls and painted surfaces.
4 front back.jpg

A thin piece of plywood was cut for the base/first floor, pool tables and chairs placed and glued in place. A metal figure from the club layout had fallen to the floor and been stepped on, breaking off the head and right hand. I rolled a glue ball for a head and glued it and a piece of flat toothpick to the wrist as a pool que. Is that a commercial or scratch built detail?
6 1st floor inside.jpg

5 sides.jpg

The second floor is a piece of heavy cardboard spray painted gold. The table and chairs glued into the front of the room so they will show through the front windows when the roof is installed. The roof was cut, painted black and covered in light gray ballast before being glued in place.
Surprise. surprise! The side walls are slightly warped and had to be re-glued and clamped to close up corner gaps.

Last edited:
Finishing
At this point, I have a naked building without any character or uniqueness, just another DPM kit.
I added a building number and a swinging sign to the front. Some interior details can be seen through the first and second floor windows.
10 front.JPG

The signage on the sides are relatively large so it will be legible from the barrier 6 feet away.
Prohibition stopped the legal sale of beer and liquor, forcing Birdie's owner to seek other revenue by sharpening local workmen's axes and crosscut saws. Hand lettered boards direct people to the work area.
11 right side.JPG

Climbing vines are common sights around buildings not receiving much attention during the Depression economy. A light gray wash ages the brick walls and signs.
12 left side.JPG

The back porch becomes a work area with a lean-to, sharpening bench, large trash barrel, small oil barrel and trash pile. The stove pipe hints at a kitchen on the first floor.
13 back.JPG

Hopefully, layout visitors will enjoy this addition to our display during the holiday season.

Last edited:
Birdie's Place - An O scale building set in 1935, part of a timber and Tie company town in rural southern Alabama. It will be added to the club On30 layout.
This is a very basic DPM kit consisting of cast polyester walls, inset door and windows, a sheet plastic roof and clear plastic sheets to cut out for windows. Three square plastic roof support pieces were not used.
View attachment 173489
Part clean up, sanding and painting required several hours of time.
View attachment 173491
Since this such a basic kit without any accessories or signage, I had to scratch build a few things. The signage, pool tables, table and chairs, stove pipe, lean-to roof, trash barrel and work bench with saws were all made. The HO barrel and junk pile are commercial details. The saws on the work bench are pieces of a scroll saw blade glued to small pieces of dowel.
View attachment 173492
The windows are cut and installed before the walls were assembled together. Curtains and shades were easier to glue to the windows before assembly. A light weathering wash was app[ied to the walls and painted surfaces.
View attachment 173493
A thin piece of plywood was cut for the base/first floor, pool tables and chairs placed and glued in place. A metal figure from the club layout had fallen to the floor and been stepped on, breaking off the head and right hand. I rolled a glue ball for a head and glued it and a piece of flat toothpick to the wrist as a pool que. Is that a commercial or scratch built detail?
View attachment 173495
View attachment 173494
The second floor is a piece of heavy cardboard spray painted gold. The table and chairs glued into the front of the broom so they will show through the front windows when the roof is installed. The roof was cut, painted black and covered in light gray ballast before being glued in place.
Surprise. surprise! The side walls are slightly warped and had to be re-glued and clamped to close up corner gaps.
Nice work going on here, great job on the interior - I need to see to that detail in some of my newer buildings.

Dave LASM

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.
If your building is not lighted, figure out what part of the interior will be seen from the outside. Place items that will be seen partially to suggest that the interior is complete. Shades and window curtains suggest a lived in room.
Interior lights means you have to furnish the room, don't forget rugs and wall hangings.

Back