Big Iron on the big G.

GN.2-6-8-0

Finally was able to get a decoder installed on my biggest Great Northern steamer so I can run it on our DCC layout a R-2 Class 2-8-8-2 No. 2059....

006.jpg

A Yellowstone would be a 2-8-8-4 the Great Northern R-2 was simply called a Mallet........pronounced malley. but with a starting TE of 155,000lbs was actually more powerful than the vaulted U.P Big boy though I admit not as fast.
Runs quite well really concidering its sat on a shelf for the better part of 20yrs :D
Below is a short video of her on her break in run after installing a NWSL can motor and Lenz Gold DCC decoder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkj0_Eg8WOI

Nice video. How many cars will she pull on her own?
there were a few other locos that had more Starting TE than that of a Big boy. The Big boys just had the speed and could maintain it once it got going.

Wow there's so much detail on it. I don't think I could get to that level of detail without breaking off previous work while adding new.
________
Brunette live

Last edited by a moderator:
How noisy is her drive? I have a Tenshodo SP Cab Forward. It's a Crown and the detail is killer...as good as or better than the Intermountain Cab forwards, but the drive is a real growler! NWSL makes some gears top quiet them down somewhat, and I have to install those!

I'd guess 30 inch minimum radius, but looks better on 36-42"!

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of track radius do you need to run it?

This one preferr's a minimum 36" radius, and suprisingly for an older PFM is really quite quiet' on the video there were 27 NMRA weight spec'ed cars,the old gal is pretty hefty so should pull close to twice that number on straight 'n level track.:D.
Oh and the sound your hearing actually was from the Berkshire running in the background....

Back